Re: Difference in PS2's

Feb 2, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

that bad sony is breaking the gaming industry

they make good games but they dont produce ps2s anymore

ps3s or ps4 isnt even backwards copatible

how are people supposed to play their ps2 games now?

buying a used ps2 is difficuly because just read the op

if ps3 and ps4 was backwards copatible tthe gaming industry would not be breaking

If I can find the means to play vinyl records anyone can find the means to play a game on a console discontinued only last year.

That analogy makes no sense whatsoever because they still make record players. They don't make PS2s anymore. You can buy a brand new quality record player at most major electronics stores for a relatively low price.

Ummm...

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-2-Console-Slim-Black/dp/B000TLU67W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13913099...

Amazon still has a ton of PS2's in stock, in NEW condition. How exactly is it so difficult to get yourself a decent PS2??

Message 21 of 29 (200 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2956 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2014

abhijtv wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

if ps3 and ps4 was backwards copatible tthe gaming industry would not be breaking

If I can find the means to play vinyl records anyone can find the means to play a game on a console discontinued only last year.

That analogy makes no sense whatsoever because they still make record players. They don't make PS2s anymore. You can buy a brand new quality record player at most major electronics stores for a relatively low price.

Ummm...

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-2-Console-Slim-Black/dp/B000TLU67W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13913099...

Amazon still has a ton of PS2's in stock, in NEW condition. How exactly is it so difficult to get yourself a decent PS2??

Ummm... Sony does not manufacture PS2s anymore. Sony stopped manufacturing them in January of 2013 so it's not surprising to see websites like Amazon still having unopened ones left in stock. Eventually they'll run out of unopened ones or unopened ones will eventually become so scarce that they're highly overpriced.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
2,000+ followers | 125+ subscribers
Message 22 of 29 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2402 posts

Feb 2, 2014
@op

I bought an used ps2 a few years ago from gamestop and had the same problem. I had to return 3 different ps2's until I found one that could read my disks. I suggest you save your receipt and keep trying until you get a good one because the ps2 is still the best Sony gaming console. It's a shame that they can't make games as good as they could 10-15 years ago...
Message 23 of 29 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
315 posts

Feb 2, 2014
Old phat PS2's were the best. The later slim models were horrible and flimsy. I had to return it and keep my phat PS2
Message 24 of 29 (171 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 2, 2014

Thanks all.  I found instructions online & have saved them - I ran a disc cleaner & it's working!  

Thanks to you all I know what it was & know how to fix it in the future :smileyhappy:

Message 25 of 29 (148 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 2, 2014

Oh and FYI - SHE, meaning me, likes the PS2 & all my old games.  I'm not spending a couple hundred $$'s to get a PS3 or 4 & have to buy all new games on top of that.  If either one of those would play my old games I'd happily invest.  

Message 26 of 29 (146 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15582 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2014

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

Backwards compatibility is not as easy as you think it is. 

And old hardware is DIRT CHEAP. 

last year I found that my local Goodwill has 3 PS2's in working condition for $10 each. Amazon's marketplace has many brand new PS2's for less than $100. 

I found 2 brand new Dreamcasts for a $75 package deal, and they each can with 2 games in the box, 

You can find brand new, still sealed Dreamcast games for less than $20. 

The same goes for EVERY piece of gaming hardware and software. 

The longer you wait for some new piece of hardware to support OLD software, you could have bought and played your old games and hardware and sold them all MANY times over. 

Stop trying to make B/C happen. Because it won't. 

This is why PlayStation Now is coming, and you'll be paying for that too. 

B/c is not an issue when you keep your old hardware and software in good order. It also doesn't hurt to be involved in retro-gaming sites as they not only have a huge market place, but also help you in repairing your old hardware and keep them hyumming along. Its not hard if you put the time in and learn.

BTW, emulators are a good alternative.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 27 of 29 (139 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15582 posts

Feb 2, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

abhijtv wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

Ummm...

Ummm... Sony does not manufacture PS2s anymore. Sony stopped manufacturing them in January of 2013 so it's not surprising to see websites like Amazon still having unopened ones left in stock. Eventually they'll run out of unopened ones or unopened ones will eventually become so scarce that they're highly overpriced.

This is why its a good idea to be part of retro-gaming sites. 

And what's so bad about buying used hardware if it works?

Or even old and scratched discs? They are easy to make like new again and work flawlessly. I used to do it all the time when I bought used copies of PS1 and PS2 games and Dreamcast and Xbox/360 discs. 

Keeping the old stuff running is a hobby in itself and is quite rewarding. 

And replacement parts aren't hard to come by either. Especially when you can cannibalize things that are simply irreparable.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 28 of 29 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 3, 2014

You used to be able to buy a Brand new PS2 from sony here

http://us.playstation.com/ps2/

Go all the way to the bottom where It says Systems, Only $99(at the time)

My old Fat PS2 still runs well :smileyhappy:

Message 29 of 29 (132 Views)
0 Likes