Apr 13 2012
By: Tyberis1 First Son 31 posts

Did we get the classic bate and switch from Sony?

5 replies 16 views Edited Apr 13, 2012

I have a feeling Sony released the Vita to soon due to public and financial pressure. I, like many, bought my Vita the day it was released and was very excited. But I think those of us that showed support to Sony on day one basically just funded their development team to be able to finish up what should of been there at release day. This is becoming more and more common with games and now with hardware.

Kind of a really crappy thing to do.

Here's your shiny new car with great features, but unfortunately we can't sell it to you with the wheels right now. We'll have them to you very "SOON"....

What is your opinion about companies releasing products too soon and imcomplete?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (16 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Re: Did we get the classic bate and switch from Sony?

Apr 13, 2012

yes and no.

-Its a start of a new generation for mobile gaming.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (16 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6853 posts

Apr 13, 2012

What do you feel was 'incomplete'?

The games that came out along with it all worked, as far as I could tell.  Remote Play has worked for me since day one.  The web browser is crap, but that was expected, considering the history of Playstation web browsers.

In your shiny new car analogy, it would be more like the car is fully functional, but the XM radio is just missing a few channels that should have been included.

In the case of the Vita, the 'missing' apps, like the XM channels in your brand new Chevy, are up to developers to get up and running.

The iOS SDK was available to developers over a year before the first iPhone was released.  It became available to the public a few months later.  Naturally, the iPhone/iPod Touch launched with several thousand apps available.

Sony's version, apparently the Playstation Suite, is not yet available.  At least not to the public.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that there will be a youtube app when one is released by Google/youtube for the Vita.  There will be other apps when developers release them.  Apps on the Vita, like apps on iOS, are up to developers to release.  It has nothing to do with Sony.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

Apr 13, 2012

Sony had already pushed back launch of the system once. It was due out for Holiday 2011, but they wanted to make sure what releases that were coming with launch, were polished. Its funny how everyone tends to overlook every past system launch in the history of videogames, when bringing their current newest systems issues to light. Every new console/ handheld launch has had its issues with slim software pickings, hardware malfunctions and promises not met. Within a year, everyone will be saying how they knew it would work itself out and they never doubted Sony for a minute. The Vita launch was one of the best system launches to date, when it comes to software. There is a constant supply of PSN games weekly, whether you like them or not, and a huge list of minis and PSP games that can be bought and played while waiting for the new releases.

In no way is the Vita incomplete. It does what it is supposed to, play games and a lot of them. If you need it to play youtube videos and all of the other fluff that doesnt matter to gaming... than you should have invested in a new phone or tablet. Im sure that there is those who are going to say, well he's just a diehard Sony fan who doesnt think anything could be wrong with his beloved system... and to them, I dont own a PS3, never owned a PSP... havent owned a Sony system since the PS2. I am an XBox gamer who wanted a console quality handheld... and I got it, in the Vita. I am console independant... meaning, I could care less who makes it, just as long as I have fun with it... and have been that way since the 70's LED and Pong era.

You just have to relax and realize how lucky we are to even have a console quality handheld. Play some PSP games while waiting, Ridge Racer and Ace Combat are incredible... not to mention, both God Of War games. If youve played them, Plants Vs Zombies, Escape Plan and Pinball Arcade are great places to start. Rayman, Uncharted, MLB 12 and Unit 13 are great Vita specific titles.

Unless you bought your Vita more for social networking, I dont see how you could argue about the success of its release... and even then, you are somewhat covered... with Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. When Resistance, LBP, COD, Mortal Kombat, Metal Gear, Madden and Silent Hill release... sales will increase... not to mention the surprises Sony has for E3 and Holiday 2012.

I just dont undertsand these arguments that Sony didnt deliver what they promised to.... a portable gaming system with console quality visuals and playability. Mine does just that, maybe you bought the wrong system.

All kidding aside, as with any other console launch... you have to wait for the AAA titles. In many cases, as history has shown, it takes a year or more for them to arrive. In the Vitas case, you already have Uncharted, Wipeout, MLB 12 and Rayman... which were all rated in the 80-100 percentile. With COD, Gravity Rush, Mortal Kombat, Little Big Planet, Resistance, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Madden and a rumored Battlefield game on the way, the rest of the year already looks promising... not to mention the surprises I talked about above. Do yourself a favor and take a look back on IGN with histories system launches and the games that released within the first year. I doubt youll be able to come up with a list as extensive as what we already have with the Vita.

Patience is the key to any new system launch. You either buy it now and wait for the new titles to arrive, or you wait... There was an obvious reason you went out and bought the Vita, whether that be for the games... or you needed to be the first in the neighborhood to flash it around, which wouldnt be anyone elses fault but your own and youd have no right to argue Sony's merits. So you can either wait and see, or sell your system and move on. Guaranteed that the people at Sony have already thought of and are already working on most of what you can think of... anything that isnt happening, probably isnt their doing, but that of technicalities, logistics and monetary issues. All of which, they are probably working on.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
620 posts

Apr 14, 2012

therealxtreme1 wrote:

Sony had already pushed back launch of the system once. It was due out for Holiday 2011, but they wanted to make sure what releases that were coming with launch, were polished. Its funny how everyone tends to overlook every past system launch in the history of videogames, when bringing their current newest systems issues to light. Every new console/ handheld launch has had its issues with slim software pickings, hardware malfunctions and promises not met. Within a year, everyone will be saying how they knew it would work itself out and they never doubted Sony for a minute.

Only quoted part that was the most important.

how cany i say this.... THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3ds was doomed remember? now everyone is saying how great it is and how everyone knew it would work out because Nintendo is the best..

Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (16 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Apr 14, 2012

i think you are looking for bait and switch. i am just hating ha.

to your point i don't think it was a devious plan but i do think the system is a little disappointing. There were some major misteps. Awful advertising (which continues), poor memory pricing, "misleading" AT&T deal, "misleading" remote play expectations, "free" games that you have to buy more lives to continue, skype app on the webpage but not on the handheld, ps1 not working yet, and others. It has so much potential but so has many things that did not work out.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (16 Views)
0 Likes