Nov 10 2011
By: Incagneto Uncharted Territory 2090 posts

Devs can apply for PlayStation Suite SDK closed beta now

8 replies 90 views Edited Nov 10, 2011

(ps this is a copy paste from the site. edit: I changed the title to be more clear.)

We talked a bit about the PlayStation Suite program back in September when we first caught wind of the new dev program. The point of the PS Suite program is to allow the developers to make games and other apps that will run on the coming Vita portable console as well as Android devices. The PlayStation Suite SDK will allow the games to be played on Android devices that aren’t Sony branded as well.

Sony has now announced that the dev program for the PlayStation Suite is accepting apps for the closed beta testing period. The SDK will use the C# programming language and will run on a C# virtual machine inside PS Certified devices and the PS Vita. The beta program goal according to Sony is to get a limited number of users into the program to get feedback to improve the SDK.

Apps are being accepted for the beta from both corporate and individual developers. Sony says not all applicants will be allowed to join the program. Apps for developers in the UK, Japan, and the US will be accepted in English. The beta SDK works on Windows machines with 32-bit XP and both versions of Windows 7. The application form for the dev program is available here. With Android and iOS gaming overtaking the PSP and DS in portable game revenue, this program could be key to increasing Sony’s share of the gaming market.

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-accepting-apps-for-playstation-suite-dev-program-closed-beta-10194471/

(other link below is for another site talking about this as well. its always good to have two sources conforming what said is true.)

http://androidcommunity.com/devs-can-apply-for-playstation-suite-sdk-closed-beta-now-20111110/

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 1 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Re: Devs can apply for PlayStation Suite SDK closed beta now

Nov 11, 2011

Hehe. I applied.

Message 2 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Nov 11, 2011

@Wakefulness well hope you get accepted. ^,..,^  I also hope you make some fun games too heh.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 3 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Nov 11, 2011

Incagneto wrote:

@Wakefulness well hope you get accepted. ^,..,^  I also hope you make some fun games too heh.

Sony will only accept a few applicants and those would likely consist of a large percentage of professional companies and a smaller amount of developers who have at least created games that got accepted in nAndroid and eyeOS app markets.

Unfortunately, I fit neither scenario. TBH, these closed beta kits will be going to better qualified individuals (than myself) and those with the closed beta kits will probably share what they see by posting stuff to the public online. Which is like the same thing because open beta kits are to arrive around the PS Vita launch anyways (this was stated in the recent GDC 2011 online conference).

Message 4 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Nov 12, 2011

@Wakefulness yes I know Sony will only accept a few applicants. the thing is how many of the few are even professional companies and who says Sony will only pick them out of the stock. for a closed beta to be a success you would want some professionals and the like for a mix to get better results on the closed beta.

having a mix of people will always give you better details on how to improve said product, then just having one side of people.

yeah I know about the open beta thingy later on.

Message 5 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Nov 12, 2011

Incagneto wrote:

@Wakefulness yes I know Sony will only accept a few applicants. the thing is how many of the few are even professional companies and who says Sony will only pick them out of the stock. for a closed beta to be a success you would want some professionals and the like for a mix to get better results on the closed beta. that will give you better details on how to improve said product.

yeah I know about the open beta thingy later on.

Those larger companies more than likely wish for Sony to suceed in their PSS platform and will lend plenty of advice (sort of like how Sony first and third parties help build the PS Vita).

The open beta (for PSS) is when things will get very interesting. I can not wait to moddify some open source code for 2D games and making a little sprite game. If there is a seperate app that acts a mod engine (to make 2D sprites, script, etc) than, that will really rock! These types of apps will (probably) not be uploaded to the Playstation Store but (according to the GDC keynote), once and exectuable is compiled, it can run on any PSS certified device with no hitch.

Message 6 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Nov 12, 2011

@Wakefulness well everyone interested in the playstation suite wish for it to succeed. think about it small dev or not or some random dev. would you rather make more money and have the option to sell more on other platforms or have less and make less?

even if they do a mix of people(as in dev's) as I said, according to GDC video they would not just accept you're input to change anything it would be looked into first. when you just get one side you only get one sided info compared to a mix. so with a mix you can get better details for both sides of the water and can make a better product because of this.

on a side note: well if they just had first partys and third partys and big names for the closed beta then they would not have the closed beta open for the public to apply.

they did this for anyone who is interested.(sure they would need to pass the qualifications to get in the closed beta. I say that because im sure they want some dev experience of some kind like know how to make a app or had some app experience.unless they were also testing how user friendly it is for people who never done any of that before.)

so yes I think it is clear they are going with a mix of inde devs third party devs first party devs and any other app dev or any dev. key word here is dev.

Message 7 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Nov 12, 2011

Yes. Anyone that sees the great potential in a cross platform and cross device software knows the greatness in Playstation Suite. That was not the point made (in my last RE: to yourself). Not quite sure what you are refereeing to in terms of 'selling more . . . ' (the fact there is a small fee for the dev tools?)

There is a degree to which people can articulate something, given their experience. It is because of this Sony will take the best choices. There is no real knowing the type of individuals that will apply but, it assumed that there will be a lot of professionals applying and Sony will look into those (mostly) and send out closed beta kits to the more "punk rock" (an endearing term, I promise!) selection of garage devs (which still have some experience).  

There are many developers and indy company start-ups which are looking for jobs and opportunities. The PSS could be a good break for them. Some are very qualified and some are part of that punk rock selection which are really building a name for themselves by doing crazy flash stuff (or whatever) in some places like Newgrounds, Kongregate, etc.

Yeah, looking forward to it! Genuinely.

Message 8 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Nov 12, 2011

@Wakefulness what I mean by selling more. as that playstation suite will be shared across other platforms. the more platforms it is across the more sale's one can have. so the likely hood is no one who apply's would want it to fail. (witch I think is what you were getting at.) sure not alot will get accepted all im saying really is a mix of dev's will get in.(I say that because according to you're post before it sounded like you are saying only big popular dev's will get in. what im saying is likely if the closed beta is going with a smart move on who they will accept. it will have some big dev some not so popular dev and so forth. so they can get a bigger range of needs to better develop playstation suite.)

I hope it becomes a success.

Message 9 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes