Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/27/2011
Offline
3154 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

Feb 8, 2014

Setzaroth wrote:

MAG died for a reason, why would a sequel do any better?


MAG died due to developer incompetence. It lived as long as it did because the MAG Community kept it going and I'm willing to bet there's not another game community on this forum that invested as much time in to keeping it worth coming back to.

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 96 (138 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/01/2012
Offline
1225 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

Feb 8, 2014

Cavani1007 wrote:
If you hadn't a >3kdr and a few grims your opinion doesn't count.

Hehey, the Mag community did find us after all! :smileytongue:

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------



----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------


Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 96 (124 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/01/2012
Offline
1225 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

Feb 8, 2014

phantom_T wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

MAG died for a reason, why would a sequel do any better?


MAG died due to developer incompetence. It lived as long as it did because the MAG Community kept it going and I'm willing to bet there's not another game community on this forum that invested as much time in to keeping it worth coming back to.


Amen to that.

 

BTW, as long as we're here, what WAS the reason that you guys latched onto it so strongly? Whatever that "cult-classic" magic was, I think THAT is the main thing that would make a sequel worth while for Sony if they could emulate that again.

--------------( Semi-official Starhawk Suggestion Central (Updated 09-05-12)-----------------



----------------------------------------------------Built to Destroy----------------------------------------------------


Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 96 (123 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 08/20/2012
Offline
43 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2014

Arron_Rift wrote:

phantom_T wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

MAG died for a reason, why would a sequel do any better?


MAG died due to developer incompetence. It lived as long as it did because the MAG Community kept it going and I'm willing to bet there's not another game community on this forum that invested as much time in to keeping it worth coming back to.


Amen to that.

 

BTW, as long as we're here, what WAS the reason that you guys latched onto it so strongly? Whatever that "cult-classic" magic was, I think THAT is the main thing that would make a sequel worth while for Sony if they could emulate that again.


 

I would have to say it was the fact that there was no gimmick in the game, well mainly in sabo the only thing you could rely on was your gun game and friends. If you won a sabo match it was because you were just better, there were no strikes no special abilities just pure teamwork and how good you were with a gun. I feel like most other multiplayers have strikes and special weapons or power weapons that make the game more who can obtain those perks first. In MAG it was who had better friends :smileytongue: Which you can tell with all the clan building and what not, that made the community so strong.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 96 (120 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/22/2011
Offline
5262 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

Feb 8, 2014

phantom_T wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

MAG died for a reason, why would a sequel do any better?


MAG died due to developer incompetence. It lived as long as it did because the MAG Community kept it going and I'm willing to bet there's not another game community on this forum that invested as much time in to keeping it worth coming back to.


If you look at the total posts, the only community to have more posts than MAG's was Warhawk's, and it's not by much and they had a three year head start.

 photo freecomms_zpsa50e6e82.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 96 (111 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/22/2011
Offline
5262 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

Feb 8, 2014

Jefferton_Alive wrote:

Arron_Rift wrote:

phantom_T wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

MAG died for a reason, why would a sequel do any better?


MAG died due to developer incompetence. It lived as long as it did because the MAG Community kept it going and I'm willing to bet there's not another game community on this forum that invested as much time in to keeping it worth coming back to.


Amen to that.

 

BTW, as long as we're here, what WAS the reason that you guys latched onto it so strongly? Whatever that "cult-classic" magic was, I think THAT is the main thing that would make a sequel worth while for Sony if they could emulate that again.


 

I would have to say it was the fact that there was no gimmick in the game, well mainly in sabo the only thing you could rely on was your gun game and friends. If you won a sabo match it was because you were just better, there were no strikes no special abilities just pure teamwork and how good you were with a gun. I feel like most other multiplayers have strikes and special weapons or power weapons that make the game more who can obtain those perks first. In MAG it was who had better friends :smileytongue: Which you can tell with all the clan building and what not, that made the community so strong.


That's part of it. The only in game reward for doing good was a burst of music. There wasn't **bleep** rewards like "headshot", "comeback", "double kill", or "avenger". You got 5+xp, that's it and I was perfectly fine with that.

 

The lack of aim-assist was a huge part too. The only other game I'm aware of where it's not even an option is KZ:smileyfrustrated:F. I may be playing that right now if I had a PS4.

 photo freecomms_zpsa50e6e82.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 96 (108 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 06/10/2013
Online
443 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

[ Edited ]
Feb 8, 2014

The Japanese kept MAG alive. American Domination died around Spring 2012. The Japanese kept playing Domination until it died during Japan prime time around October 2013. The Japanese then brought Domination back to life for the final 2 weeks of MAG in January 2014. 

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 96 (100 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 06/10/2008
Offline
1294 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

Feb 8, 2014

Jefferton_Alive wrote:

Arron_Rift wrote:

phantom_T wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

MAG died for a reason, why would a sequel do any better?


MAG died due to developer incompetence. It lived as long as it did because the MAG Community kept it going and I'm willing to bet there's not another game community on this forum that invested as much time in to keeping it worth coming back to.


Amen to that.

 

BTW, as long as we're here, what WAS the reason that you guys latched onto it so strongly? Whatever that "cult-classic" magic was, I think THAT is the main thing that would make a sequel worth while for Sony if they could emulate that again.


 

I would have to say it was the fact that there was no gimmick in the game, well mainly in sabo the only thing you could rely on was your gun game and friends. If you won a sabo match it was because you were just better, there were no strikes no special abilities just pure teamwork and how good you were with a gun. I feel like most other multiplayers have strikes and special weapons or power weapons that make the game more who can obtain those perks first. In MAG it was who had better friends :smileytongue: Which you can tell with all the clan building and what not, that made the community so strong.


Just to play devil's advocate, wasn't the gimmick in the title "Massive Action Game."   Even though I didn't play it much I remember the buzz being about the huge battles and large player count (TBH, everything has some kind of gimmick).

 

This thread is really interesting though.  Would you say the parts about having friends and community being so strong led to more pub stomps or more brutal pub stomps than most games?  If not or if so, how would you say the game mechanics played a role?

 

 

 

 





BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 96 (98 Views)
Sackboy
Registered: 06/10/2013
Online
443 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

Feb 8, 2014

Playing with good clans or groups in large numbers increased your chances of winning especially in Aquisition or Domination. 

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 96 (94 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 06/10/2008
Offline
1294 posts
 

Re: Design H-MAG2 (Hypothetical Massive Action Game 2 (H-MAG2))

Feb 8, 2014

GET_OUT_OF_SVER wrote:

Playing with good clans or groups in large numbers increased your chances of winning especially in Aquisition or Domination. 


So, if I were to buy the game a year into the life cycle and play lone wolf or with maybe a friend or two, how would the games go compared to other alternatives?  For example, would spawn camping and base camping be worse in MAG?  Would it be likely my win/loss, k/d, etc. would be much lower or just a little lower?   Was there any matchmaking that evened the odds (based on skill for example). 

 





BF3 Stats
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 96 (88 Views)
Reply
0 Likes