Feb 29 2012
By: Akytarus First Son 5 posts

Defective PS Vita Screen - Is it a problem ?

20 replies 2406 views Edited Feb 29, 2012

Hi, All

Is the PS Vita supposed to look like this on all dark screen areas of games/os

It look like the screen is cracked but it's not

It's very disconcerting when watching netflix during dark scenes of a movie

or in any game that has black loading screens...

What's wrong or going on....?!?!?

Click picture to make it bigger (makes it easier to see the issue)

_MG_2690.jpg

Blank Screen

_MG_2703.jpg

Screen With Content

Message 5 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
595 posts

Re: Defective PS Vita Screen - Is it a problem

Feb 28, 2012

i see posts like this all the time but iv never seen this on my vita

Message 1 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Feb 28, 2012

Actually this is normal, it has to do witht he fact that the PSV uses an OLED screen (I think it was OLED). I have it on my PSV as well, it's only visible in a dark room, on a "blacK" loading screen like in Lumines or BlazBlue. It's nothing that will affect your game at all and you probably don't notice it when there is anything on the screen.

It's very disconcerting, but not at all affecting the PSV's use in any way.

Message 2 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 29, 2012

Hi,

From the last few posts about this issues I'm not sure if I'm being told to return my unit for a new one or not.

See this post quoting my picture.... -> http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/4672899?tstart=0

DeRAnGeD_666 wrote:

Hello all.

I've noticed that there is a lot of discussion regarding the OLED screens "black spots", lines, or other issues.

As someone who is very familiar with OLED screens (being that my last 2 phones, including my new one, have them), I must say that *some* spots or abnormalities on an all-black or all-grey screen is normal. They are a byproduct of the manufacturing process for OLED, and it's very hard to mass-produce a large quantity of OLED screens without them. My Samsung Galaxy Nexus, for instance, has two very feint vertical lines that you can only see on a dark grey background, and with the brightness lower than 20 percent. Raise the brightness to 25, 30 percent, and they go away completely.

However, I'm looking at pictures that people are posting in these threads (one had a very visible line in the corner that looked like a crack, the other had multiple huge black blobs all over it), and these are NOT NORMAL. If you have any type of easily visible lightly or darkly colored lines, and those huge blotches that are very easily seen on dark pictures/dark scenes in movies/etc, please exchange your Vita. Especially if your brightness is at a good level (above 30 percent). You have a defective screen.

Remember, if you can see it clearly during normal use of your console, exchange it.

If you can only see it if you squint REALLY hard, or have to put the brightness all the way down and be in a dark room for 20 minutes to see it, it's normal.

Unfortunately, it will differ from one person to another. My Vita has NO signs of this issue whatsoever, aside from one tiny (about the size of the top pencil eraser) black mark on all-black screens with brightness all the way down and in a dark room. Other than that, when brightness is up, I can't see anything unusual at all.

Bottom line, if you can clearly see it, please exchange it. Don't let other people tell you it's normal and that you have to live with it.

Message 3 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
480 posts

Feb 29, 2012

Akytarus, I'm not sure but it sounds like DeRAnGeD_666 might know what he is talking about. I do not know much about OLED screens but I would tell you this, any problems with blotches on my brand new $250.00 - $300.00+ PlayStation VITA device I would take it back in a heartbeat! With that said I do have a 3g / Wi-Fi VITA and I can not see any kind of blotches on mine. How did you get the green screen to see the blotches? I would like to try that out.

Message 4 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
480 posts

Feb 29, 2012

Akytarus wrote:

ICEJACKEL wrote:

Akytarus, I'm not sure but it sounds like DeRAnGeD_666 might know what he is talking about. I do not know much about OLED screens but I would tell you this, any problems with blotches on my brand new $250.00 - $300.00+ PlayStation VITA device I would take it back in a heartbeat! With that said I do have a 3g / Wi-Fi VITA and I can not see any kind of blotches on mine. How did you get the green screen to see the blotches? I would like to try that out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

DeRAnGeD_666,I took the picture when I was in the netflix app, I just paused a video on a back screen and tapped the screen to make the netflix OSD go away.

To the human eye the blank screen is a blackish / dark brown color and the crack/spots are perfectly black.

For some reason all the pictures I tried to take with my camera turned out greenish tint.

I live out in the country so it'll take a week or so before I can get back to the place of purchase... I hope BestBuy does not give me a hard time about it....!

Here's a better shot....

_MG_2681_1.jpg

Update: The green tint on screen is caused by the camera picking up UV light from the OLED screen.

The grainy picture is caused by a very high ISO setting on the camera "128,000 ISO" making

for lot's of digital noise. It's the only way to pick up the issues by camera.

FYI my camera is a Canon T2i with 50mm f1.2 prime lense.

Akytarus, this is ICEJACKEL not DeRAnGeD_666, just wanted to make sure you had the right person, no worries. I use to work for Canon and the Rebel T2i is a nice camera. I have the ELPH SD780 IS, I will try to take a photo of my VITA later this week with the same specs you have and see if it comes out with the same problem. Have you tried to take a photo on just a back screen on just NetFlix?

Message 6 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

Re: Defective PS Vita Screen - Is it a problem ?

Feb 29, 2012

im wondering if this issue is caused by the uv barrier that all oleds have applied (uv light ruins oleds, so to prevent this they have to have a uv barrier)....they all look like patterns that would have come from something being adhered to them...

i am no expert obviously and my vita doesnt suffer from this issue at all, but i have had this issue on my samsung galaxy, which also has an oled screen.

Message 7 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 29, 2012

ICEJACKEL wrote:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

ICEJACKEL, I took the picture when I was in the netflix app, I just paused a video on a back screen and tapped the screen to make the netflix OSD go away.

To the human eye the blank screen is a blackish / dark brown color and the crack/spots are perfectly black.

For some reason all the pictures I tried to take with my camera turned out greenish tint.

I live out in the country so it'll take a week or so before I can get back to the place of purchase... I hope BestBuy does not give me a hard time about it....!

Here's a better shot....

_MG_2681_1.jpg

Update: The green tint on screen is caused by the camera picking up UV light from the OLED screen.

The grainy picture is caused by a very high ISO setting on the camera "128,000 ISO" making

for lot's of digital noise. It's the only way to pick up the issues by camera.

FYI my camera is a Canon T2i with 50mm f1.2 prime lense.

Message 8 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 29, 2012

ICEJACKEL, I have taken pictures on different black screen to make sure it's not just a fluke, Game loading screen, Netflix, PSV booting up, Black menu background.

Only on Netflix could I have more than a few seconds of back screen, I could pause a video indefinitely. Inso much easy to get a few shot's to get a good picture....!

Message 9 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
480 posts

Feb 29, 2012

Akytarus wrote:

ICEJACKEL, I have taken pictures on different black screen to make sure it's not just a fluke, Game loading screen, Netflix, PSV booting up, Black menu background.

Only on Netflix could I have more than a few seconds of back screen, I could pause a video indefinitely. Inso much easy to get a few shot's to get a good picture....!

Right on, Akytarus, I will try different screens and take some photos this week and see if I see anything and if I do I will post them in your thread. I hope I don't but hey who knows.

Message 10 of 21 (2,406 Views)
0 Likes