Dec 09 2012
By: Tim81DE Wastelander 845 posts

Debate: Journey vs. The Walking Dead

5 replies 760 views Edited Dec 9, 2012

Watching the Video Game Awards, reading comments on IGN, and hearing friends talk about how great the walking dead has left me wondering "what makes it so great?" I've heard of people saying they've cried because of it (to note, I've never shed a single tear during a game, so I don't know the feeling). I don't plan on playing The Walking Dead anytime soon, but was wondering if those who have played it, as well as Journey, can shine some light on this subject.

For me, Journey was simply on of the best games I've ever played. The timing of events, the graphics (best on PS3), the music (I listen to the OST everyday), and the experience playing with others in a world where communication is a simple tone, a gesture more, puts you in a bond with whoever else you're playing with. When I ended my first run with the game I found out I had 4 people jump in and out of my game.

(Do not read the spoiler below if you plan on playing Journey. It will only ruin the experience IMO. If you could care less, go ahead.)

Spoiler
My first encounter with those rock flying things felt exciting because I had no idea they were there. I thought a random light was just going around the room. I should have taken note when my partner was pressing the communication button rapidly. As I ran I thought I'd be safe behind a stone hedge... He simple busted straight through it and took some of my scarf with him.
Also, running up that mountain freezing, dying, coming back to life and flying with your partner to the end.... Just an amazing feeling.

It's games like Journey that make me excited to play games and wait for the next great experience my PS3 can offer.

So, without throwing out any really big spoilers, I'm asking what you all think of these two games, and ultimately which is better.

-Tim

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 6 (760 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Re: Debate: Journey vs. The Walking Dead

Dec 9, 2012

walking dead is probably one of the best games i ever played,journey is good but it don't compare in my opinion.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 6 (757 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11361 posts

Dec 9, 2012

Having played both games (well, the first two episodes of Walking Dead, which were free with PS+), I'd have to say I prefer Journey.

Just the overall atmosphere of the game is much more appealing to me.  Then again, I've never been much into zombie games.  The Walking Dead is pretty fun and challenging at times, but it's not something I'd actually spend money on.

Message 3 of 6 (739 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11776 posts

Dec 9, 2012

Taking this from someone who's only finished up the first two episodes of The Walking Dead (as PlayStation Plus won't provide any further episodes for free or discounted, and thusly won't receive my sales Smiley Wink) I can say that while The Walking Dead games are good as far as plot goes... everything else isn't on the incredible level Journey persists in. Specifically what kind of upsets me about The Walking Dead games is that you have choices to make. And these choices only give you a brief moment to read all four options on the table. If you don't read very quickly then you can imagine that you may get stuck picking something you don't want to.

In The Walking Dead, you're constantly in one precarious scenario after another. You'll have to deal with characters positively or negatively reacting to your decisions, and possibly dying off because of them. I haven't shed a tear through the story, but then I haven't played through the entire set either. Will I remember what's going on in the story long after I've stopped playing them? It's hard to say, as it has been months since I've stopped at the end of the second chapter. Journey though I would say is a better game on the whole. While I do prefer The Walking Dead story-wise, gameplay, graphics, and sound are much better when you're taking a Journey.

Message 4 of 6 (738 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Dec 9, 2012
TWD relies on story, shocking moments and decision, Journey relies on emotions, feelings and senses, I prefer TWD, but they are two different beats on their own.
Message 5 of 6 (722 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Dec 9, 2012
The Walking Dead is outstanding. And the timed conversations are supposed to put pressure on you. It gets crazy in episode 3.
Message 6 of 6 (717 Views)
0 Likes