Nov 13 2008
By: nutner First Son 4 posts

Dead PS3 with yellow, then red flashing light.

43 replies 20228 views Edited Nov 13, 2008

Hello all. I am new to this board, but would like to try to identify how many people have the dead PS3 issue. It strikes me that there is clearly a inherent flaw with the PS3 in that so many people have had this issue. My PS3 is one of the early 60Gb versions and has approx 700 hours of play on it since Nov 2006. (i know the time becasue my projector logs time and is used specifically for this system.)

In my particular case the unit is in a temperature controlled closet at 50 degrees with nothing within 6 inches of it. The unit died last week and i have had no response from the online service request although my credit card details were accepted. There is almost no dust on the machine either so i know it has been looked after better than 95% of others. The phone support is also a waste of time until your service number is in the system. Guess what - mine still is not after a week.

I think that those who have had the issue could contribute to this thread so we know how big this issue is and which units it affects. Although i would guess Sony has this information, they are not releasing it. I personally do not think a $700 unit (this is what i paid) such as this should die in less than 5 years on average. After all it is basically a PC, and out of the 22 i have had in my life, only 1 has ever died to date.

If there are enough people with this issue, we may be able to "urge" Sony to fix the problems, or warrant the PS3 for more than 1 year voluntarily! Personally i would like a warranty like new cars have....5 years or 10000 hours! of course there really is no need for a long warranty if the product was robust in the first place.  ;-)

Becasue there is no denying this is a fantastic system, i have no choice but to either get this one fixed or buy a new one, which adds to the cost of ownership beyond my initial expectations of only needing to pay for games, DVD's etc etc.  I refuse to go to the competition with thier inferior product and buggy software, but for the first time am having to think twice about it.

Model - 60Gb PS3

Owned since - Nov 2006

Approx utilization - 700 hours

Games played - 40

DVD's played - 50

Blu-Rays played - 20

CD's played - 5

Network - Yes 1000Mbs and 54Mbs wireless for remote play with PSP

DNLA used - Yes

Printer connected - yes HP6100 via network

PSP connected - Yes

Blutooth periferals - Jawbone, Sony remote, Logitec Blutooth keyboard

Controllers - Dual shock 3 and SixAxis

Eyetoy - No

USB periferals - Yes (Rockband 2 wireless dongles, TimeCrisis4 gun and sensors, microphone)

Message 1 of 44 (20,228 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10780 posts

Re: Dead PS3 with yellow, then red flashing light.

Nov 13, 2008

Thanks for the civilized first post. 

The truth is, Sony is well within the guidelines of failure rates.  Some electronics just go bad sooner than they should.  If they didn't, things like extended warranties wouldn't exist.  If you have had 22 computers than I'll make the assumption that you are a grown adult.  And as a grown adult, you must surely have bought an item/electronic that failed just outside of an initial warranty.  I hate to say it this way, but crap happens, and I'm sure you are well aware of this.  The price of the electronic doesn't make a difference.  I've had much more expensive electronics fail in less time.  I feel for you, but there isn't much we can do.  Contact Sony, deal with the customer service and get yourself a refurbished system for the measly price of $150.  

Message 2 of 44 (20,228 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Nov 13, 2008

I just had the same problem last night. I was playing Resistance 2 when the system shut down with a red flashing light. When I try to turn it back on it the light turns yellow then flashes red with three beeping sounds. I called Sony to get it fixed/referb (I hope to get my 60gig fixed) for $149.99.

now I'm just waiting for my shipping box

on a side note: I can't get my game out of the system. Sony told me that I will get my game back. Does Sony really give your game back if you can't get it out of the system?

Message 3 of 44 (20,228 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Nov 13, 2008
I would like to point out that this forum has just over 9000 registered users.  And even if all of us had a bad PS3, that's less than 10,000 compared to millions sold.  So, using a forum to identify how many dead PS3s there are isn't really a good sampling.
Message 4 of 44 (20,228 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
508 posts

Nov 13, 2008
Believe it or not I am fairly certain i know what the problem is and why the ps3s are dying even though it may seem like alot its not many one problem people say is the bluray drive personally i have fiixed 10 ps3 consoles without taking them apart by reseting the ps3 fixing the bluray if it doesnt fix it usually means the eye is damaged(laser eye bluray) and i dont want to bother taking it apart Next is the overheating problem which u seem to have inherited its not your fault that is overheated but a design in a power unit(from what I have heard from a unnamed source.... dont remember his name) the newer models have a better unit or cord inside the system (do not know what it is called) i have heard of one person fixing this but i dont remember who IT IS ON THe FORUMS good luck and i hope you can fix it
PS3 80GB Motorstorm Bundle: Currently Playing:
Modern Warfare 2

FOR KEEPING YOUR BLU RAY DRIVE HEALTHY AND POTENTIALLY FIXING IT GO HERE!
Message 5 of 44 (20,228 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Nov 13, 2008

Lol nutner.

Check out the signature.

Mine was an original machine too and I kept it as clean as a whistle and have taken great care of it as you did. After update 2.52 last week, it died. Shipped it out yesterday. I agree with your post, but never is going to happen. Those days of the customer always being right are gone.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 44 (20,228 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
492 posts

Nov 13, 2008
Seems like these a lot of dead PS3's!!!  2 months ago  my 60g died the same way you descibed. I didn't have the extended warranty and the 1 year manufacturers had expired. So instead of sending it in for service, I bought the new 80g for $400. Now 2 months later, the 80g died the same exact way. I know it didnt overheat because i have plenty of space surrounding it and it wasnt even on long enough to get hot. I am now awaiting the coffin sent by Sony to send the dead one and get a replacement. At least this happened after 2 months and not 13. I agree with you that this is a great system, i am addicted to a few games. This happening twice to me leaves me thinking when will my replacement PS3 die on me?
PS3 60g(Dead), 80g(Dead), 80g replacement (Alive)

PSN TonySi77
Killzone 2, Modern Warfare 2
Uncharted 2, Bad Company 2
Warhawk
Motorstorm PR, Quantum of Solace, Uncharted DF, Burnout Paradice,
All Work and No Play is No Good
Message 7 of 44 (20,228 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Nov 13, 2008
If they send me a refurbished system will it be a 60gig like they one I sent them? I would hate to lose my memory card slots and backward commutability
Message 8 of 44 (20,228 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Nov 13, 2008
My 60Gb launch model suffered the dreaded ylod a few hours after I upgraded to 2.52. I am now awaiting it's coffin.
hittched
Message 9 of 44 (20,228 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Nov 13, 2008
I think that there maybe something wrong with the 2.52 update. One thing that I noticed was that when I put my finger on the power button to turn it on, it would think that I held my finger down to rest the video settings. And I would just tap my finger on the power button like I always have in the past. If there is something wrong with the 2.52 update then I want my $149.99 back!!!
Message 10 of 44 (20,228 Views)
0 Likes