Apr 29 2010
By: Jcmdaddy First Son 28 posts

Deactivating broken PS3's via calling Sony [My experience so far]

13 replies 11993 views Edited Apr 29, 2010

Recently my Launch day 60gig ps3 gave me the YLOD. Unable to do anything with it I sent it in to get repaired losing my single player saves didn't matter to me, as I beat all the games I own, and any multiplayer game I have saves that data on the game servers! Thankfully.

Anyways, I was unaware of the deactivation procedure of the Video Content portion of your PSN ID on a console, so I was unable to DL new video content because It was still active on the old broken system I sent in. I had about $200 in DL'd video content. Most people in the threads I read say that Sony wont do anything at all with helping deactivate consoles. But I called them up anyway. Quick service, and the lady took my query and transferred me to someone who could help. The man I spoke with took the email address used for the account, and my ID. He said he'll send the request to the department responsible for the deactivations, and said it will take 2-3 business days to recieve an email lettting me know it's been taken care of. Once I get this email I just have to go into the new console and activate the Video Content portion. I will post an update once it happens, just to confirm all of this.

On a side note, the guy I spoke with asked if I had purchased any video content on the old console, and I told him yes. He said that not only will my Video Content be deactivated so I can reactivate, but that I can Re-Download all the video content that I previously purchased! It will show up in the purchased content list in the Video section of the PSN but it will have all the content I purchased so I can re-download it =) I didn't even expect this to happen, and was pleasantly surprised when he told me.

So in the end, if you need help deactivating a console, call Sony. They've been very helpful in my experience.

Message 1 of 14 (11,993 Views)
Limit Breaker
23950 posts

Re: Deactivating broken PS3's via calling Sony [My experience so far]

Apr 29, 2010

Thanks for posting! I also had to repair my 60GB sometime last year, called Sony a week or so ago to have them deactivate my old system. Was on the phone for less then five minutes, and was told I would get an E-Mail notifying me that my old system was deactivated. I received the E-Mail after only about an hour, and was all set to download again

Sony Computer Entertainment America
M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST
Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)

- DoubleOSpoon
Message 2 of 14 (11,993 Views)
Fender Bender
3210 posts

Apr 29, 2010

I went through the same thing, but they actually deactivated my old system while I was on the phone.  Before I hung up with Sony I had my refurb activated.

Message 3 of 14 (11,993 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
602 posts

Apr 30, 2010

I can confirm that deactivating an old or broken PS3 is an extremely easy process! Just did it today. They were extremely helpful and got the problem fixed while I was on the phone. I was nervous after reading online about how so many people were just screwed because of this, but I'm sure that had something to do with their accounts and the things they were doing with them, because my experience was smooth and easy.

Message 4 of 14 (11,993 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Apr 30, 2010

I think there may be a difference in their ability/willingness to help based on whether or not your dead console was returned to them for repair/replacement and if your console was replaced through other means.

When my original PS3 died it was replaced through the store where I purchased it.  To further complicate things, the system they replaced it with was faulty (the video output was distorted in most but not all games) and I had to wait a couple of months for a replacement for it.  While using the faulty console in the interim I never actually redownloaded any of my games onto it but did initiate a download of a previously purchased game to see if I even could.  When I finally got my current, fully-functional PS3 I called them to see if I could activate my account on it for video.  Since I had been unaware of the activation limits and regulations prior to this I hadn't bothered to note the serial numbers of the previous consoles and Sony would not deactivate my account from those consoles wthout that information.  I had only rented videos (except for a few TV episodes) so it really wasn't a big deal since I could simply create a new account for video rentals.  Technically, I'm down by a total of three consoles (most likely the initiation of the download on the middle console was enough to activate my account on it) for PSN Games content but since I am now well aware of the activation process and it's limits I don't really have anything to worry about because if anything happens to my current system I shouldn't have any problem deactivating it and my total system limit will remain the same.

However, to anyone who may have had a situation similar to mine (which is, honestly, rather unlikely) I highly recommend changing your password when you set up your account on your new console.  I know the store I purchased mine through will sometimes refurbish and re-sell returned items if they can.  If someone had ended up with one of my old systems they would have had access to my account and could have caused many more problems for me, such as changing my password themselves and forever screwing me out of the many games I had purchased through PSN.

Message 5 of 14 (11,993 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

May 1, 2010

Hmm I really hope im this lucky when I call Sony, My account has been activated on 5 systems that I cannot get to.

I emailed Sony and this was there response:

Hello (My Name),

We apologize for any inconvenience regarding your PlayStation(R)Network account activation. Account holders can activate their PSN account with a maximum of: Five (5) PS3 consoles for Game Content and One (1) PS3 for Video Content. If you have reached the predetermined limit of consoles, you will need to deactivate one of the other consoles.

Ultimately, you are responsible for maintaining control of your account. If you provide access to your account to anyone else you may be violating the PlayStation®Network Terms Of Service and User Agreement. Violations of the PlayStation®Network Terms Of Service and User Agreement may cause your PSN account to get a suspension or even banned permanently.

Message 6 of 14 (11,993 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
232 posts

May 1, 2010

You are the minority with getting help from the Sony Customer support line. 

I had my Ps3 80gig mgsIV bundle YLOD on me and upon calling the so called Help line I was told I needed to fax in a copy of my Original recipt to prove I bought the system myself.  And that was told as standard procedure even AFTER the fact I provided them with all the Login info my home address and my cell number which all my ps3 is linked to.  After explaining to the guy I had already been screwed in the butt by a launch YLOD 60gig I asked to speak with a manager about getting my 2 ps3s deactivated yet they still wouldn't do anything.  So after hanging up I filed a complaint with the BBB and FTC and then got a call from Sony stating they were going to remove my 80gig from the activation list but now I have 100$ in movies from the PS store that are only associated with that PS3 so I guess it is time to visit a movie download site on the internet cause I have paid for the rights to access the movies and Sony is giving me the middle finger.

April 1st 2010 a Day that will for ever live on that 1 man had Sony scampering and showing how scared they truly were.
HIPHOPGUESSER(Gamer) being in HOME just shows you how Desperate Sony is to get people on HOME.
Message 7 of 14 (11,993 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3210 posts

May 1, 2010

As another poster stated, if you send your PS3 to Sony for repair they will gladly deactivave your old one for you.  Otherwise it's not likely that they will help.

So the bottom line is if you don't have any activations left and your PS3 dies, send it to Sony.  Otherwise buy a new one and start over with a new account (and consider not giving out your login info to everyone and their mother).

Message 8 of 14 (11,993 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
524 posts

Jul 22, 2010
Well I just called Sony and talked to them about deactivating my old 80gig backward compatible model that got the YLOD so I can activate my new 250gig Slim. No issues, took a total of 8 minutes on the phone and they were very nice. I still have my broken PS3 and they asked if I had sent it in and I told no, but I did want to get it fixed int eh future, but that the price of getting it fixed was half of a new Slim with a new warranty so I got a new one. The lady was very polite and helpful and took care of it no sweat. I don't have the email to confirm yet, but I just got off the phone 5 minutes ago. So far no issues getting my old system deactivated.
Message 9 of 14 (11,993 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3113 posts

Jul 22, 2010
Same here...and she didn't make fun of the email I use for PSN...or my PSN user name...which I kind of chuckled at.
Message 10 of 14 (11,993 Views)
0 Likes