Oct 09 2012
By: AXE_420 Lombax Warrior 94 posts

Day 1 digital + store update

10 replies 299 views Edited Oct 9, 2012

I really feel that if Sony wants this day 1 digital thing to really succeed they should really work on getting the store updates out really early cause most people would prob just go to the store instead of waiting till 3-7pm for the game to be available online.

Message 1 of 11 (299 Views)
MVP Support
18753 posts

Re: Day 1 digital + store update

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2012

As the the name imply, it is a  Day 1 Digital release. This program is aimed to those who are comfortable with not owning a physical copy of the game, comfortable enough with the SEN terms on digital goods & own a big size HDD.

Publishers and big retail stores determine the release date for products. SONY alone cannot tell other game publishers when to release their games. What SONY could probably do, with their own games, is do a day before street date release digital release.

On another note, money talks, so if SONY is willing to put the $$$,$$$ down, I'm sure they can work something out with game publishers.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 11 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Oct 9, 2012
you totally miss the point in my post. Im not saying they just give us the game early. I am saying why would I wait till 5pm to play a game that i can go to the store and get at 8 or 9am and start playing right away.
Message 3 of 11 (269 Views)
First Son
10 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2012

I agree. This will be the last time I pre oder from the store. I couldve been playing dishonored by now : /

Message 4 of 11 (258 Views)
MVP Support
18753 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2012

AXE_420 wrote:
you totally miss the point in my post. Im not saying they just give us the game early. I am saying why would I wait till 5pm to play a game that i can go to the store and get at 8 or 9am and start playing right away.

I got your point but you don't see SONY's.  Heck, given the size these downloads on an average 3MB download broadband connection... yeah, you might as well just go to the store.

If you are like me, meaning that you can wait for the tangible copy of what you will be paying for then wait for it.  Digital releases are not a necessity but a convenience. The digital distribution market is still being establish and understood. There are many like me prefer a tangible copy [e.g. disc] of the software we are paying for, this' so we don't have to rely on the internet to acquire/re-acquire our property, stay away from the laws/terms that govern digital purchases & distributions, in short, truly own our copy. On the IP holder site, a fully digital distribution market is what they are hoping for, for this will provide them with more control over their IP and less control for the end-user.

Message 5 of 11 (253 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Oct 9, 2012

You make a good point. It didnt click when I pre ordered but I wont be able to sell the game when I'm done with it. I usually sell games to buy more of them lol

Message 6 of 11 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Oct 9, 2012
I dont actually intend to buy any of these games digitaly. I was hoping they would have made the updates to the store earlier so I could get my plus and psn content earlier. What I am saying is that its in sonys best intrest to update the store earlier so that the people who might be in the middle would be more likely to buy the digital copy, which is better for sony and cutting out the middle man, and in turn giving everyone els earlier access to the store updates. You dont get the point. And not seeing Sony's point? What does that have to do with what time the store updates?
Message 7 of 11 (233 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18753 posts

Oct 9, 2012

AXE_420 wrote:
I dont actually intend to buy any of these games digitaly. I was hoping they would have made the updates to the store earlier so I could get my plus and psn content earlier. What I am saying is that its in sonys best intrest to update the store earlier so that the people who might be in the middle would be more likely to buy the digital copy, which is better for sony and cutting out the middle man, and in turn giving everyone els earlier access to the store updates. You dont get the point. And not seeing Sony's point? What does that have to do with what time the store updates?

Is not that I wasn't seeing your point is that I was blinded by what I thought Day 1 Digital was. I thought Day 1 Digital selected titles were not bound by the PSN Store Tusdays Update. I had assume that it was as the name implies, "Day 1 Digital" as in "these selected titles will be digitally available on the PSN store on street date release"

Not that I was ever interested in Day 1 Digital, but now that you have brought this up to my sight, it surely makes the program that much less appealing.

Message 8 of 11 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
94 posts

Oct 9, 2012
Thats is what Im talking about. If they want it to succed they need to have it available right away. I can understand in they dont do the midnight thing because not all retailers do, but 8-9am seems way more acceptable then late afternoon to the night time. Glad we are on the same page. Now make it happen Sony!
Message 9 of 11 (216 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18753 posts

Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, waiting till 8-9pm  for the PSN store to update to then start the game download with such volume of users downloading stuff.... yeah, might as well just get it at the store.

The ideal time would be at 12:01am, the release date has arrived and before departing for the night one can set the PS3 to download overnight, install & turn itself off when done, but as you suggest, having the titles avaiable at 8-9am would be nice too.

AXE_420 wrote:
Thats is what Im talking about. If they want it to succed they need to have it available right away. I can understand in they dont do the midnight thing because not all retailers do, but 8-9am seems way more acceptable then late afternoon to the night time. Glad we are on the same page. Now make it happen Sony!

Message 10 of 11 (210 Views)