Nov 21 2011
By: Matt6sic6 First Son 2 posts
Accepted Solution

Data Transfer Walkthrough, please help

5 replies 53 views Edited Nov 21, 2011

All right, let me try and explain this whole thing before we get started here, as it may sound confusing...

My current PS3 is on its last legs, I cannot play any games on it because after 5 minutes or so it overheats and shuts off by itself. I can however watch Netflix, movies, listen to music etc. as long as I want. So, I plan on buying a brand new PS3 this coming Friday and I need some guidance on how to back my data up for the transfer - BUT, there's a catch.

My current PS3's hard drive has been upgraded to 500gb, and I plan on re-using this drive on the new one.

I know that you transfer data between two consoles using an Ethernet cable, but as I recall when I upgraded originally, I had to back my data up on an external hard drive, and once I installed the new internal HD the system had to format it. Then I transferred my backed up data on the External to the new one.

My question is, can someone explain the steps I’ll need to go through in order to move my 500gb drive to the new one AND backup my data?

From what I understand, I’ll simply need to backup my data on the external drive first, then swap the internal drives, and then place my backed up data onto the new ps3 with the 500gb drive… right?

When I do this, all my game saves, accounts, DLC, music, movies, etc – everything will be backed up and restored correct?

Message 1 of 6 (53 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18791 posts

Re: Data Transfer Walkthrough, please help

Nov 21, 2011

Matt6sic6 wrote:

All right, let me try and explain this whole thing before we get started here, as it may sound confusing...

My current PS3 is on its last legs, I cannot play any games on it because after 5 minutes or so it overheats and shuts off by itself. I can however watch Netflix, movies, listen to music etc. as long as I want. So, I plan on buying a brand new PS3 this coming Friday and I need some guidance on how to back my data up for the transfer - BUT, there's a catch.

My current PS3's hard drive has been upgraded to 500gb, and I plan on re-using this drive on the new one.

I know that you transfer data between two consoles using an Ethernet cable, but as I recall when I upgraded originally, I had to back my data up on an external hard drive, and once I installed the new internal HD the system had to format it. Then I transferred my backed up data on the External to the new one.

My question is, can someone explain the steps I’ll need to go through in order to move my 500gb drive to the new one AND backup my data?

From what I understand, I’ll simply need to backup my data on the external drive first, then swap the internal drives, and then place my backed up data onto the new ps3 with the 500gb drive… right?

When I do this, all my game saves, accounts, DLC, music, movies, etc – everything will be backed up and restored correct?

The answer to the first question is "Yes" but the second one......I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am but I'm fairly certain your copy protected saves will be gone. They would still be there if you were restoring to the same system but you're not. The movies too may be gone. I've never dealt with movies but I've read on here the liscenses don't get backed up so you'll be stuck purchasing them again if you really want them. Now if you could get your old system to keep running to do a transfer via ethernet cable then EVERYTHING would be there when you were done.

Message 2 of 6 (53 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Nov 21, 2011

Nope. If you followed the current plan, you would discover that not everything from the Backup Utility backup restored onto your new PS3. Notably, the items that fail to restore would be anything that's copy-prohibited because Backup Utility only restores everything if it's to the same physical console.

You want to do the Data Transfer to your new PS3 first. Once you do the Data Transfer, then all of that copy-prohibited data will now be keyed to your new console. Then you can safely use Backup Utility to backup and restore onto the larger capacity hard drive.

edit: it's still smart to make backups of your current PS3 anyways just in case it croaks before you get your new console.

Message 3 of 6 (53 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18791 posts

Nov 21, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

Nope. If you followed the current plan, you would discover that not everything from the Backup Utility backup restored onto your new PS3. Notably, the items that fail to restore would be anything that's copy-prohibited because Backup Utility only restores everything if it's to the same physical console.

You want to do the Data Transfer to your new PS3 first. Once you do the Data Transfer, then all of that copy-prohibited data will now be keyed to your new console. Then you can safely use Backup Utility to backup and restore onto the larger capacity hard drive.

edit: it's still smart to make backups of your current PS3 anyways just in case it croaks before you get your new console.

I knew I could count on someone to correct or in this case verify what I said.

Message 4 of 6 (53 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 21, 2011

Thank you guys very much, I really appreciate the advice, I just don't want to lose my DLC and have to spend forever and a day re-downloading it all. I also have 2 full games downloaded to the console as well, and don't want to have to re-download it all. The movies and music don't matter to me as much as my game saves and DLC.

My current console has no problem running for long periods of time, as a matter of fact I've had it on for most of the day watching Netflix, I'd say probably around 7 hours now. The only time it ever shuts off is when I try playing a game - any game, even downloaded ones. I'm able to update the firmware, and do everything else except play a game on it.

So just to be crystal clear, basically all I'll have to do is plug the 2 ps3's together with an Ethernet and transfer the data to the new ps3. Then, on the new ps3, backup the data to an external hard drive. After it's backed up, I swap the 160gb drive for the 500gb drive - then I transfer the backed up data on the external to the new ps3 with the 500gb drive - and doing so I should not suffer any data loss?

Message 5 of 6 (53 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Nov 21, 2011

That's the plan.

It never hurts to have an additional manual game save backup onto a spare USB thumb drive or the PlayStation Plus Online Storage using Saved Data Utility. The PlayStation Plus Online Storage will backup copy-prohibited game saves too.

Message 6 of 6 (53 Views)
0 Likes