Jan 23 2013
By: Error062479 Lombax Warrior 140 posts

Data Transfer Utility Questions

5 replies 104 views Edited Jan 23, 2013

Some questions I have before I do a data transfer.

Do I have to input my accounts on to the NEW console BEFORE I do the transfer, or will the transfer build those accounts for me on the new console, just like the old console?

The install notes are really unclear about what to do before you transfer both Home and LittlebigPlanet save information, as they both save oddly on systems, can someone elaborate on this? Do I just log into home once before hand? What do I do to little big planet?

I have quite a few games from  PS+ loaded on my hard drive. In an effort to make this transfer as quick as possible, would there be any reason I couldn’t delete the games off the hard drive (but keeping both my save game and “game data” sections) and  then re downloading the games after the transfer on the new console, install them, and everything should work the same, no? Theoretically I could do this as well with games I have in hard copy by deleting the “game data” but not the “save game data” and reinstalling the games after the transfer, correct? I guess what I’m asking, is that after the transfer, the new console is effectively a “cloned” version of the first, so I wouldn’t run into any copyright issues or PS+ account problems or anything doing  it this way.

Thanks for the input guys, trying to make this go as painless as possible this weekend. I’d hate to lose 5 tears of PS3 saves and gaming. I may have some more questions as I get closer to doing this.

Message 1 of 6 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: Data Transfer Utility Questions

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

Error062479 wrote:

Some questions I have before I do a data transfer.

Do I have to input my accounts on to the NEW console BEFORE I do the transfer, or will the transfer build those accounts for me on the new console, just like the old console?

It will do everything.

The install notes are really unclear about what to do before you transfer both Home and LittlebigPlanet save information, as they both save oddly on systems, can someone elaborate on this? Do I just log into home once before hand? What do I do to little big planet? For LBP, you can just use Plus to cloud save... and all your other save data "just in case".

I don't think you need to worry about Home.... all of the data is stored on Sony's servers IIRC. You only have data for the different areas of Home.

I have quite a few games from  PS+ loaded on my hard drive. In an effort to make this transfer as quick as possible, would there be any reason I couldn’t delete the games off the hard drive (but keeping both my save game and “game data” sections) and  then re downloading the games after the transfer on the new console, install them, and everything should work the same, no? Theoretically I could do this as well with games I have in hard copy by deleting the “game data” but not the “save game data” and reinstalling the games after the transfer, correct? I guess what I’m asking, is that after the transfer, the new console is effectively a “cloned” version of the first, so I wouldn’t run into any copyright issues or PS+ account problems or anything doing  it this way.

You can delete the games to save time on the transfer, yes.
You will need to activate the new PS3 in order to use your Plus purchases.

Thanks for the input guys, trying to make this go as painless as possible this weekend. I’d hate to lose 5 tears of PS3 saves and gaming. I may have some more questions as I get closer to doing this.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 6 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Jan 23, 2013

Thanks for the input gR3yGho51.

Cant use PS+ Cloud feature. Long story short, my plus account is my "main" account and both my wife and I have our own accounts to play games on. Unless we all buy a plus memebership, the cloud saves are not avalible to the other two accounts, and thats where all the save games are. One of the plus features I wish I could use, but Im getting boned on becouse of my setup.

When you say "activate", you mean go back into the acount with plus when its on the new 320gb, and turn it on in account managment, correct?

Another question on this, I think Im going to back up the old Fat PS3 first., just in case. Can I use that back on the PS3 Slim once I have done the trasnfer? Or will that backup ONLY work on the old Fat and I should back up again off the slim?

Again, thanks for the input, doing all of this makes me nervouse. Thats a lot of game saves to loose!

Message 3 of 6 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Error062479 wrote:

Thanks for the input gR3yGho51.

Cant use PS+ Cloud feature. Long story short, my plus account is my "main" account and both my wife and I have our own accounts to play games on. Unless we all buy a plus memebership, the cloud saves are not avalible to the other two accounts, and thats where all the save games are. One of the plus features I wish I could use, but Im getting boned on becouse of my setup.

Oh ok, I didn't understand before. 

When you say "activate", you mean go back into the acount with plus when its on the new 320gb, and turn it on in account managment, correct?

Yes. If you're getting rid of the old PS3 then make sure you deactivate the accounts and format the hdd using the "Full" method and not "quick"

Another question on this, I think Im going to back up the old Fat PS3 first., just in case. Can I use that back on the PS3 Slim once I have done the trasnfer? Or will that backup ONLY work on the old Fat and I should back up again off the slim?

I haven't done a backup/restore in a long time, so i don't know for certain. Its best to back both up just in case.

Again, thanks for the input, doing all of this makes me nervouse. Thats a lot of game saves to loose!

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 6 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Thanks again for the input.

Nope, won’t be getting rid of it, the old console will be going back into its original box, and going into a room with my other old consoles. It missed the PS4 launch by under a year **bleep** it!

Picked up the new 320gb “NHL13” bundle about an hour ago. I assume one of the last of the Slim PS3s. I’ll be getting the old unit reflowed on Saturday, then I’ll start my back ups and transfers. Hope the old unit will live through it all.

Message 5 of 6 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Alright, so in case anyone else looks as this post, here is what happened (sorry for the long wait on the update, been  pretty busy).

Picked up one of the last 320GB slims locally. When I turned it on, you have to create “user 1”, and connect (wirelessly or hardwire, it will walk you through it) to your internet. From there, download the latest firmware.

Once that’s done, I turned on the older FAT model, and walked through the steps. I backed up my trophy’s, and fired up the data transfer.

The first time for soe reason it wouldn’t make a connection. The second time it took about 5-10 minuets on the “preparing…..” screen, but then it did connect. For about 140gb, it took about 4 hours.

I did notice when I fired up the new PS3, not all of my settings where the same. Things like “auto start on disk insert” were on when I usually have them off, etc. So you may want to go through your settings again. I did see that my settings in regard to TV performance and blu ray playback were the same.

The old 80 gb is now back in its box on a shelf, the new 320gb is running well.

Message 6 of 6 (46 Views)
0 Likes