Jan 15 2013
By: FidelityNy Uncharted Territory 1283 posts

Darksiders Download Time

13 replies 456 views Edited Jan 15, 2013
I wanna see the variation in download times between users downloading Darksiders for comparison with mine. I'm asking that everyone who downloads the game list the following in order:

Download Time:
Internet Bandwidth/Speed:
Internet Provider:
Wired or Wireless?:

Here are my results:

Under 50 minutes
65/35mbps (Download/Upload)
Verizon Fios
Wired

When I first started up the download it was going to take 80+ minutes. I did a simple Restore File System and Rebuild Database just like I have with all other big downloads and my download time dropped by over 30 minutes. Tested and confirmed without a doubt that this method works for me. If you want I'll upload a 55 second video of the game downloading at about 5.4mbps. I should've done a before and after comparison but didn't think of it at the time.
Message 1 of 14 (456 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Re: Darksiders Download Time

Jan 15, 2013

is it out for ps+ download already? I just left home and it wasn't there Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 14 (444 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Jan 15, 2013
No. I just downloaded the full game trial. After the 1 hour trial is over I'll start the download of the free game and activate my license for it, it should turn the trial into the full veraion.
Message 3 of 14 (431 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jan 15, 2013

In this case you'll just download some sort of license instead of redownloading the whole game?

Message 4 of 14 (423 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Yup. Have you ever noticed when you start a download it first says "Activating..." then start downloading. That activation is the process in which the game is activated onto your console, it's a digital license allowing you access to the game.
Message 5 of 14 (417 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1250 posts

Jan 15, 2013

I have never attempted a restore file system and rebuild DB.  What exactly does it do to your saved data - games, media file, game saves, patches, etc?

I could search for a FAQ, but if you have experience doing it, I would like to see your response.

Message 6 of 14 (386 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jan 15, 2013
108 minutes 20/2 Mbps TWC Road Runner Wired I'd noticed that the Plus downloads do get the timed trial and then add a small unlock patch, but I never thought of using that to my benefit before now. You've got an awesome internet connection btw.
Message 7 of 14 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Jan 15, 2013
Restore File System rewrites corrupt files used for booting. Rebuild Database rewrites corrupt files in the database. They are maintenance options, they help boost your PS3's performance. You should be doing this on a set basis, whatever is to your liking, I do it before every large download, or once a month. When using these you'll erase messages, playlists, edited song information, and folders. Nothing serious like saves, or game data. I'd suggest syncing trophies before trying it just to be safe.
Message 8 of 14 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Jan 15, 2013
@Hafnium_Lion: You have enough bandwidth to get download speeds like mine on the PSN. I push 5.xmbps tops so as long as you have that much bandwidth available your downloads should be as quick as mine. Try my method before your next big download and tell us how it goes.
Message 9 of 14 (373 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jan 16, 2013

FidelityNy wrote:
Restore File System rewrites corrupt files used for booting. Rebuild Database rewrites corrupt files in the database. They are maintenance options, they help boost your PS3's performance. You should be doing this on a set basis, whatever is to your liking, I do it before every large download, or once a month. When using these you'll erase messages, playlists, edited song information, and folders. Nothing serious like saves, or game data. I'd suggest syncing trophies before trying it just to be safe.

Where do I find this option? I only found "Restore PS3 System" is this it? Because it says here "When you perform this operation, all data in the system storage will be deleted. Also, the system software will be restored to its default settings. Be careful not to accidentally delete important data as the changes cannot be undone. Data loss or corruption is the responsibility of the user." Which I understand as deleting everything in the system, including saves, games, etc

Message 10 of 14 (308 Views)
0 Likes