Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 23 2014
By: donkeysmell1 First Son 7 posts

Dark Souls 2: why did they fix what wasn't broken?

[ Edited ]
9 replies 527 views Edited Mar 23, 2014

So I was super exited about Dark Souls 2. I loved Demons Souls and I think Dark Souls was the best PS3 game ever. A lot of gamers who post comments online about DS2 say that it is too easy. These people have obviously no social life outside of gaming if they find DS2 too easy. The game is stupid hard, which is not my complaint about the game. I dislike that to level up you have to return to Majula rather than like DS you can level up at any bonfire. The new way merely creates more loading time which is lame. Also I have found that when accessing the menu for your inventory and etc the game is slow to respond. You push start and it takes like 3-5 seconds for the menu to come up and same when trying to close the menu. Since you can't pause the game when in battle this is a problem when trying to access your inventory. Another dumb thing about the game is that after dying too much the enemies don't respawn anymore. **bleep**? That is a terrible aspect to DS2. Also when trying to fight your weapons get jammed by stupid things like chests yet the enemies have no problem hacking you through whatever is hindering your weapon to hit them? I really dislike the menu screen which shows your abilities and weapon status and all that, it is really confusing and is difficult to figure what all the icons represent. I really wish I would have spent my money on the South Park game instead. DS2 completely ruined the franchise. I would rather keep playing DS1 and continue on with my NG+

Mod Edit: Fixed grammar in title and removed Games and Platforms label. Check here for more information. Updated title for redundancy. Thanks! - Mossy_Wall

Message 1 of 10 (527 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
940 posts

Re: Dark Souls 2: why did they fix what wasn't broken?

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2014

I would disagree with just about everything u just said. xD  i beat most the game at SL 31(and i got a dislocated thumb).. think ur growing up into a casual.. just saiyan xD

tumblr_m6l6o8EiMJ1r0bbrto1_1280.png

Message 2 of 10 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4066 posts

Mar 24, 2014
Only being able to level up at one spot does seem unnecessarily dumb and the weapon jamming thing that doesn't apply to enemies sounds like bad game design.
Servo Antidae Fossor
Message 3 of 10 (477 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 24, 2014
So you disagree...fair enough, not sure what your comment relates to, you beat most of the game at SL31? Not sure what that refers to? Are you saying you think that traveling back to Manila every time you need to level up makes the game play better? You enjoy waiting for 30 seconds while it loads the Manila area and then wait again while you go back to the area you are fighting? Not to mention having to talk to the lady who upgrades you
Message 4 of 10 (461 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Mar 24, 2014
Also please elaborate how you disagree with my entire comment. I'm curious why you feel that traveling back to manual every level up is better than just leveling up at every fire. Do you enjoy waiting for the manjula screen to load and level up and then travel back to where you are trying to proceed and wait for the screen to load again? Also you like how the menu takes a few seconds to come up when you push start?
Message 5 of 10 (456 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
940 posts

Mar 24, 2014
Cuz u said the game was hard. Its really imo.
And the reason i disagree with the bonfires. Is bcuz there would be no consequences if u could lvl up anywhere. Its either fight on.. or risk doing the level over by leveling up n mejula. Cuz u suck. Not u n general but the player.

Well thats what i believe
Message 6 of 10 (450 Views)
Sackboy
544 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 24, 2014

donkeysmell1 wrote:

I dislike that to level up you have to return to Majula rather than like DS you can level up at any bonfire.

If you pay attention to the storyline, you will understand why this is.  Also, I'm assuming you didn't play Demon's Souls?  This was the leveling method of the original Souls game.

Also I have found that when accessing the menu for your inventory and etc the game is slow to respond. You push start and it takes like 3-5 seconds for the menu to come up and same when trying to close the menu.

Are you using the disc version?  I don't know that it makes a difference, but using the digital version, I do not have this issue.

Another dumb thing about the game is that after dying too much the enemies don't respawn anymore.

*In case someone misunderstand him here, he meant after enemies have been killed enough times, they stop respawning when you reset the level (by resting at a bonfire).

This is a controversal feature.  Playing, solely, without multiplayer assistance, this can make the game more difficult, as you cannot easily farm items and souls indefinitely.  If you do take advantage of multiplayer features, this feature can make the game much easier.  Either can be a pro or con, depending on your preference.  Personally, I'm not a fan of this feature, either.

Also when trying to fight your weapons get jammed by stupid things like chests yet the enemies have no problem hacking you through whatever is hindering your weapon to hit them?

Weapons being blocked by physical objects applies to both mobs and the player.  This largely depends on the type of attack, the weapon, and the angle of attack.  As with any game, you must align your playstyle with the physics engine of said game.  In any situation, I know with 90%~ accuracy whether my attack, or a mob's, will hit through an object, and I react appropriately..

I really dislike the menu screen which shows your abilities and weapon status and all that, it is really confusing and is difficult to figure what all the icons represent.

Press select to view the tooltip for any icon on a status screen.  If you played Dark Souls or Demon's Souls, it is easy to understand Dark Souls II's stat screens, having read through the tooltips for each stat.

Message 7 of 10 (408 Views)
Splicer
73 posts

Mar 24, 2014

- Difficulty: Its easier than DS1 and Demons.

- Majula LvlUp: Agreed, it sucks and huge step back from the improvements made from Demons to DS1.

- Loading: The reload time after die its almost the same to load Majula, and you will die a lot more than those 160 level ups. I think is ok.

- Inventory menu: If you are trying to change the inventory while in battle, you are doing something serious wrong...

- Enemies respawn: I think its a good feature they stop respawn. There is 2 bonfires filled with enemies, if you think sucks to return to Majula, try to be a Mage and face those 6 explosives zombies everytime you need to reach the seller and check new weapons from boss souls.

- Weapons: Hey, that one of the best things on Souls games! Every game we need to care how weapons works in close combat/space. Yes, now they let enemy weapons flow with less rules, but for the player still work as always.

- Menu info: What? DS2 menu and stat screen  let you call and access info/help messages for every icon. You are wrong here.

Message 8 of 10 (392 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Apr 5, 2014
I did start with Demons Souls and loved that game, favorite game ever in fact until Dark Souls. Perhaps it is easier and I'm just finding it hard to grasp at the beginning.Demons was the hardest game ever until I figured out the lock on and the over all game mechanics, I find that DS 2 is just more awkward overall when battling. Seems like the attacks are slow and awkward, again this may be I need to play more and get used to it as DS 1 I found difficult at first until I figured out the mechanics.
Manjula lvl up, sorry but I just think that is the worst part of the game. DS 1 had it right, hence the title of my forum. The game is long enough it's just lame to have to warp back to the Manjula to lvl up. Demons Souls is Demons souls but Dark Souls 1 was great. Why improve it and then go back to the Demons Souls structure? It's just unnecessary and it wastes time in my opinion.
Inventory Menu, are you saying you have never had to go to the menu sometimes while in battle, for instance you come across a new enemy and your weapon is useless so you need to change it, or you learn how to rip through areas by switching weapons to take on specific enemies?
The Respawn issue is another one I cannot condone. I may have defeated the enemies a couple times but then would eventually be defeated after being overwhelmed....then suddenly all the enemies are gone and I just stroll through? Lame-O who cares if you can grind for souls....that was a great feature, it takes time and improves your skills and sometimes you screw up and lose everything....I feel like its a completely different type of game when he enemies don't Respawn. At first I thought it was a glitch...the best part of DS 1 was getting better and better at defeating the first 10 wimpy enemies and then having to face the tougher guys and if they kill you you have to be cautious to gain back your souls, if you get too cocky the guys that you can easily kill would take you out and all your grinding for nothing. DS2 I felt like it was treating me like a elementary school student that moves on to the next grade without really understanding the curriculum but because you failed twice already you are too old to remain in the class. Weak, I seriously think that is a massive mistake in DS2.
You are right about the weapons getting jammed etc, I was just complaining because of frustration lol, however it's not so much that it happens because it did in DS1 as well but it's more just the mechanics and the way that the game flows is so different to DS1 that when the weapons get jammed in close spaces or from an object it just seemed awkward the way it would deflect or hinder my attacks...like unnatural, maybe it's more getting used to the weapons and how they swing etc but some moves seemed unnatural.
And I just don't like the new menu as it seems so busy and not as clear or easy to navigate as DS1. Again, hopefully something that will grow on me. The first little bit of DS1 took some getting used to compared to Demons Souls.
My general point is that I was so exited for this game because of how much I loved DS1 and I was disappointed by some of the changes that for me are not as awesome as DS1 was....I don't know that it is easier than DS1 or Demons, I don't think it is other than the respawning thing makes it kind of a joke in comparison but if you think it is so much easier DarknessFX aren't you also disappointed as well?
Message 9 of 10 (300 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Apr 5, 2014
I don't think I agree with your statement, how does making Manjula the only level up area make it any more difficult when none of the enemies Respawn anyhow? I am not really that far into the game yet but I am worried that unlike DS1 I will just be running through all the areas unhindered because there will be no enemies once they stop respawning. DS1 was awesome when your more powerful and you can just plow through all the enemies who at one time took all of your effort to defeat them. And once you are really powerful, their tiny little bit of souls you get for killing them is hardly even noticeable.....you have to run through the entire game killing everyone and still be nowhere near enough to level up....this is why the enemies with lots of souls didn't Respawn but the regular guys worth little souls should always come back....I despise the respawning aspect of DS2.... Sooooo lame
Message 10 of 10 (297 Views)
0 Likes