First Son
3 posts

Re: The material on the DS4 analog stick

Jan 4, 2014

same problem here: two days ago I noticed a crack in the silicone of the left stick (the one I use the most basically, especially in fifa14). I also do take good care of my ps4 and ds4, and I know the problem is not from me (I love this console, no troll here). I only played during 1 week, 1-2 hours/day on average, so this really is abnormal wear. I could return it to the store and they immediatly exchange it with a new ds4. I hope I just got unlucky with a bad batch... But just to be sure I have now ordered ds4 grips to put on the sticks of the new one...

Message 51 of 98 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Jan 4, 2014

starkey2097 wrote:

same problem here: two days ago I noticed a crack in the silicone of the left stick (the one I use the most basically, especially in fifa14). I also do take good care of my ps4 and ds4, and I know the problem is not from me (I love this console, no troll here). I only played during 1 week, 1-2 hours/day on average, so this really is abnormal wear. I could return it to the store and they immediatly exchange it with a new ds4. I hope I just got unlucky with a bad batch... But just to be sure I have now ordered ds4 grips to put on the sticks of the new one...

Godo idea.

Welcome to the PlayStation Forums.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 52 of 98 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Jan 4, 2014
I posted about this EXACT problem just a day ago and yes some people thought I was either crazy or abusing my controller. That is not the case!
I'm having this same problem and I DO NOT beat-on my equipment, at all. In fact I always wash my hands before I play too. It seems this problem is going to happen to just about everyone at some point; its just a matter of when. Different play-styles will wear it out faster.
Whoever said the joystick is molded plastic and not coated CLEARLY knows nothing about plastic or paints. There is most DEF a rubberized coating on these joysticks that wears-off, period! It's a bad design and unfortunately the only thing that's going to fix it quick is to BUY (ugh) covers for them.
Message 53 of 98 (312 Views)
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Jan 4, 2014
REMEDY: I just tried it, and a LITTLE bit of talcum powder will help this issue. It seems that the sweat on your thumbs makes the coating rub-off faster, so keeping them as dry as possible will help =\

Controllers are SO important. I personally cannot believe Sony didn't notice this during the years of R&D they put into this system! It's hard to believe that they didn't know about this issue, and personally it's got me pretty **bleep**.
Message 54 of 98 (309 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 5, 2014

fortunately, covers do not cost much (couple of bucks), but I hope they don't change the feeling to much (i like the feeling of the new ds4 sticks). The games must also wear off the rubber differently: in fifa, the left stick is intensively used, with fast changes of directions, etc... so it might be worse for the sticks than other games, even if you play gentle (which i do)

I also posted the problem in other forums were i almost got insulted and accused to have voluntarily damage the sticks with my nails... But it seems more and more people are reporting this problem and i hope sony is already working on improving the rubber composition (e.g. to make it harder at production).

but apart from this, the ds4 controller is great, and the ps4 rocks, i really don't regret my choice

Message 55 of 98 (292 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Jan 5, 2014

yes, you're right for the sweat, also it is unconfortable to play with sweatty fingers anyway. I usually dry up my thumb on my pants during games if needed

Message 56 of 98 (286 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jan 5, 2014
I don't have my PS4 yet, but I do want to say that I've seen two store demo models now, both with the rubber partially peeled off, again, the left stick.

The first time, I figured it was just kids doing it on purpose... but after the second time, and seeing this... I think this is a thing.
Message 57 of 98 (266 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Re: PS4 Controller Joysticks DEGRADED AFTER 1 WEEK!

Jan 5, 2014
Right I've had my ps4 since release day and have already sent two controllers back with tears in the joystick, I only really play fifa and constantly use the right joystick to run my players back and forward up the pitch. My friends haven't had the same problem so I assumed I have been a bit rough with mine so with my third controller I've been careful which is spoiling my gaming effecting how I play but still the stick is wearing away. For me the sticks are no good and sony have to fix them. Really annoyed with the quality they should be built to last for years not weeks. Not impressed
Message 58 of 98 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Jan 5, 2014

Mickydoi wrote:
Right I've had my ps4 since release day and have already sent two controllers back with tears in the joystick, I only really play fifa and constantly use the right joystick to run my players back and forward up the pitch. My friends haven't had the same problem so I assumed I have been a bit rough with mine so with my third controller I've been careful which is spoiling my gaming effecting how I play but still the stick is wearing away. For me the sticks are no good and sony have to fix them. Really annoyed with the quality they should be built to last for years not weeks. Not impressed

They are very unlikely to change them.

Get stick covers.

Welcome to the PlayStation Forums

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 59 of 98 (177 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Jan 5, 2014
I've already mentioned this in another thread, but I've seen two store demo models with controllers also having the same issue.

Keep in mind - a new console just released, there are going to be a lot of new people on these forums. It's a good thing.

I actually don't have my PS4 yet, but I'm here in anticipation of it.
Message 60 of 98 (174 Views)
0 Likes