Fender Bender
3501 posts

Re: PS4 Controller Joysticks DEGRADED AFTER 1 WEEK!

Jan 3, 2014

A small group is indeed having this problem.

More are not.

Your controller is under warranty so call Sony.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options

To avoid a repeat, use an analog stick cover like these:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/REVIEW-Grip-It-DualShock-4-Analog-Stick-C...

There are other options if you don't like the looks of those.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 31 of 98 (753 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1480 posts

Jan 3, 2014
Have had 2 controllers since launch and have played almost every day since then. They still look and feel brand new.
Message 32 of 98 (748 Views)
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Jan 3, 2014
Thanks Doc! I'll probably do both; call Sony AND order the covers. It does seem to be my play-style that's probably causing the problem, but as many others have said, it seems to happen WAYY too easily. My 7 year old DS3's joysticks are still fine.
Sony chose a bad rubberized coating for the DS4 controllers IMO, and the best thing (for me) to do is just cover 'em up regardless. It is strange that one of my controllers has worn-down more, but either way..this stuff just shouldn't happen. Nice job with your R&D Sony!
Message 33 of 98 (730 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1049 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2014

I have had 2 of them since launch day and they still look like they did when I opened them on November 15th. Well over 400 hours on both of them. Not saying yours are not doing that but there must be a reason as to why. Are your fingernails longer than a gorillas? Do you ever wash your hands? Are you just seeking attention on a public forum? I find it a bit strange that only a select few are having an issue with the controllers (usually posters with a low post count). I am about ready to call totall bs.... Just my opinion. Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 98 (721 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
406 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2014

Message 35 of 98 (687 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2980 posts

Jan 3, 2014
It didn't happen to TheMooseChops so the problem does not exist Apparantly.
Message 36 of 98 (676 Views)
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Jan 3, 2014
Mine had the same problem, added analog stick covers before the problem got too bad. I'm just keeping the controllers and in a year when analog sticks are dirt cheap on eBay I'll replace them. Doesn't overly upset me but yes the problem does exist.

@TheMooseChops attitudes like that dissuade new people from joining a forums and eventually lead to inevitable forum death.
Message 37 of 98 (669 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1049 posts

Jan 3, 2014

Dogpaw131 wrote:
Mine had the same problem, added analog stick covers before the problem got too bad. I'm just keeping the controllers and in a year when analog sticks are dirt cheap on eBay I'll replace them. Doesn't overly upset me but yes the problem does exist.

@TheMooseChops attitudes like that dissuade new people from joining a forums and eventually lead to inevitable forum death.

What attitude? I did say in the post that I am not saying his are not like that... My attitude stems from counless people with low post counts posting outright lies just to get attention. Shhhhh.... Don't tell anyone but  I kidnapped lindbergh's baby too.

Message 38 of 98 (654 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2014

bveracka wrote:
Thanks Doc! I'll probably do both; call Sony AND order the covers. It does seem to be my play-style that's probably causing the problem, but as many others have said, it seems to happen WAYY too easily. My 7 year old DS3's joysticks are still fine.
Sony chose a bad rubberized coating for the DS4 controllers IMO, and the best thing (for me) to do is just cover 'em up regardless. It is strange that one of my controllers has worn-down more, but either way..this stuff just shouldn't happen. Nice job with your R&D Sony!

Glad to help where I can.

I honestly think it is a body chemistry issue.

Not that any individuals body chemistry is BAD mind you I just think there may be a specific PH level that is eating up that rubber as I have a hard time thinking anyone could be aggressive enough with their thumbs to do that without doing other damage to the controller.

That being said, a bad batch of rubber is also possible but seems less likely. I have 4 DS4s, all bought at different times from different places and all rotated in to play without any of them showing any signs of wear.

If all the rubber was "bad" then everyone would have this problem however based on the millions sold, the group of folks with problems does appear to be rather small. Every case I have seen shows more wear on the left stick, which makes sense when that is the movement stick and gets used 100% of the time as opposed to aim, which is flicked and tweaked as opposed to leaned on.

I have put the grip-its on my two oldest controllers but more as a long term test than a necessity.

It would be cool to know for sure but it is likely without lab testing, we will ever know the actual "why" this is happening to some and not others.

It is an interesting topic nonetheless.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 39 of 98 (653 Views)
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Jan 4, 2014
Seriously?

I wasn't even going to answer this but YES I wash my hands all the time, I have short nails, and I don't beat on my equipment...so NO, I'm not trolling for attention...JERK!

Just Google it Sally, its happened to quite a few people.
Message 40 of 98 (410 Views)