Fender Bender
2980 posts

Re: The material on the DS4 analog stick

Dec 22, 2013
I have 2 controllers, but I also bought a 10 foot charging cord so I use one way more than the other. The one I use most has some peeling on the left stick.

I do take care of my stuff, and make sure my hands are clean when I'm using them. I am still very happy with the controller and the ps4 itself.

People can deny this problem exists, but either way it is happening. Some people are very unhappy with this. Like I said though I am very happy with everything I purchased. Maybe mine isn't as bad as some other peoples.
Message 21 of 98 (493 Views)
Sackboy
498 posts

Dec 28, 2013
Just an update after over a month usage my two controllers (one which I platinum'd Killzone SF with) has no signs of wear, now here's the weird part, my wife's controller for her ps4, the rubber has clearly worn down and looks dull and has lost it's dimple effect.

The only thing we do differently is she uses her thumb tip vs. I rest my thumb joint almost center over the stick.

If hers wears down much more I'll exchange it, since it would almost be down to the plastic. If it comes to this I'll post an update on the life of the replacement, at the moment in our case it seems to be a mix of how she interacts with the thumb stick and the rubber being very soft and susceptible to wear when used in different positions.
Message 22 of 98 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Dec 28, 2013

i love the "it hasnt happened to me so it must be your fault" attitude of some of these fanboys

just disgusted at their arrogance

anyways, many users have raised this issue online

i personally dont have this issue with my controller so i guess i got the "good batch"

as someone have already said, putting on a kontrol freek would be a cheap and effective fix

Message 23 of 98 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Dec 28, 2013
I was skeptical at first too to be honest but I'm willing to admit I may have spoken too soon /pulls foot out of mouth
Message 24 of 98 (459 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Dec 28, 2013

Never underestimate the naivity of a fanboy. 

Playstation is getting an image for cutting product quality in the effort to cut cost.  Controllers for PS2 were awesome.  PS3 controllers' plastic was so thin you could see through it when you put it up to light.  It would be no surprise is PS4 controllers were pieces of crap that crumbled in your hand within 4 months.

Cost of the controllers on the other hand has skyrocketed.  Must be a healthy profit margin on them to force you to buy a new one every few months.

Message 25 of 98 (440 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28672 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 28, 2013

noob-45 wrote:

Playstation is getting an image for cutting product quality in the effort to cut cost.  Controllers for PS2 were awesome.  PS3 controllers' plastic was so thin you could see through it when you put it up to light.  It would be no surprise is PS4 controllers were pieces of crap that crumbled in your hand within 4 months.

Cost of the controllers on the other hand has skyrocketed.  Must be a healthy profit margin on them to force you to buy a new one every few months.

Or maybe you guys are man-handling them.

Does anyone have any real proof that the controllers are "cheaper" than the others? Because all I'm seeing is "they're made cheaper, I know they are!!" being repeated. And just because you repeat something on the internet, that doesn't necessarily make it "true". I've used the new DS4, and it's not bad. If you treat it with some finesse, then there shouldn't be any problems. And give me any nonsense about "normal abuse", because there's no such thing.

Message 26 of 98 (433 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4073 posts

Dec 28, 2013

noob-45 wrote:

I love the DS4 controllers, they are very well made, quality through and through, except for .... some of us have the rubber coating on the analog sticks degrading when it shouldn't. I have two, my first two, that are like that, bad off only in coating. Just defective.

I have one more I bought the other week. So far it's fine in every way. More play time with it will tell it's future soon. Not everybody has had the degrading coating problem. Most do not.

The first thought when holding a DS4 is how it's heft and feel are excellent. It's not cheap, cheap, cheap.

Message 27 of 98 (430 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13558 posts

Dec 28, 2013

I only have two issues with my DS4:

1. The left analog stick is "cracking" on top, inside of the little divot.

2. The left side of the casing is "looser" than the other side, so if you grip it firmly, it "creaks" and slightly moves, as if it is not solidly put together (the right side does not have this effect)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 28 of 98 (426 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
221 posts

Dec 28, 2013

it couldnt happen to a nicer guy.lol.

Message 29 of 98 (418 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

PS4 Controller Joysticks DEGRADED AFTER 1 WEEK!

Jan 3, 2014
Just as the title says; I bought two DS4 controllers and the one I've used the most has some SERIOUS wear on the rubber joysticks, especially the left stick. I just noticed it; I had black rubber "crumbs" stuck to my thumb and now the left joystick's rubber coating is all rough and worn-down.

Anyone else having this issue? Do any sites online sell replacement sticks for these yet? Sony should send us some for free (wishful thinking)..f*#@$%& sixty dollar controller that's ALREADY breaking!!!

I'm definitely having a **bleep** moment right now...help..anyone!
Message 30 of 98 (685 Views)
0 Likes