PlayStation MVP
16119 posts

Re: The material on the DS4 analog stick

Nov 24, 2013

VR_F0X wrote:

It is a known issue with the controller, a lot of people have mentioned it. Most of the people here brushed it off as "SABOTAGE" or users being stupid or something. Clearly that isn't the case.

I guess since it isn't doing it to everyone there is some sort of issue with the rubber on a couple of batches of the controller. Hopefully it get sorted out on the newer ones. :smileymad:

Never underestimate the lengths trolls are willing to go.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 11 of 98 (737 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2484 posts

Nov 24, 2013

Its just the shinyness wearing off the sticks its not a coating or anything coming off from the sticks.

Message 12 of 98 (729 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 24, 2013

Yep...  Within the first 3 hours I noticed a piece of the rubber peeling back on the left stick.  I blamed my new kitten who is psycho and likes to mess with everything (named him Dexter just cause he is a true sociopath).  Anyways after reading other people's concerns regarding the fail rate I think I owe Dex an apology.  

Message 13 of 98 (713 Views)
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Nov 24, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

I also noticed that at the base of the analog system, some lightly colored residue was building up (probably material rubbing off the analog stick, since it wiped away and was black on my finger)

That always happens from the sticks. Just the result of the sticks being rubbed against the controller shell.

I first saw this with my Atari 2600's joystick decades ago, and again with the N64 controller.

As for the rubberized coating on the sticks themselves.... theres no telling why some people are having issues with them. Mine are perfect.

Ditto here. I'm pretty rough on my controller and i\ve been playing hours every day since launch. Still no signs of deterioration.

*shrugs*

Message 14 of 98 (709 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6350 posts

Nov 24, 2013

Put in a lot of time on BF, COD, NBA2K14 and Madden. Happy to report no problems for me.

Message 15 of 98 (682 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
469 posts

Nov 24, 2013
I dont think alot of people are noticing it. I didnbt believe it either that they would start to peel a bit but mine have just started. I only played bf4 so far. And i am one of those freaks who takes care of their stuff more than usual. Its nothing serious on mine yet, but should they continue bit by bit then i dont see these controllers lasting long. And its not the rubbing of the stick on the controller its the actual spot where your thumbs are.

One thing though, as long as there is a suitable stick replacements i can buy i wont mind. My ps3 controllers lasted 7 years. Mind you they are "tight" as they once were, but i had never bought a new controller. Thats shows i am not lmaking this up. The material is different this time around. Why they chose it i have no clue.
Message 16 of 98 (671 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3850 posts

Dec 8, 2013

This is the link to my post today http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/DualShock-4-Analogue-Sticks-Wearing-Out-I...

This is the picture of my WORST DS4 from that post:

DS4 Bottom one in Overview

That is smooth hard plastic under the peeling rubber coating. A whole chunk is gone, the side on the left is split, there are other cracks. It's horrible, both controllers wore down their left stick to horrid condition from November 15th to this morning, December 8th.

Other than that, my controllers are PERFECT! I love them, it's just the coating is WRONGLY coming off.

Message 17 of 98 (609 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 22, 2013

I havng the same proble with my left analog stick. There's a small crack in the rubber on the bottom lip of the stick. 

Message 18 of 98 (553 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Dec 22, 2013

get the ps4 kontrol freaks, great grip!

Message 19 of 98 (550 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1209 posts

Dec 22, 2013

Sniffynose wrote:
I have a hard time taking anyone who registered Nov 18th seriously on these forums fyi

Yeah. You should have registered on the 17th.

Message 20 of 98 (548 Views)