Monster Hunter
40 posts

Re: The material on the DS4 analog stick

Feb 2, 2014

I understand the OP,  from what i have so far, it's doing fine but i understand how the Oils in the skin can start to chew away at the material in the controller much like how this time of grip was in the Xbox 360 controller.

Message 91 of 98 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Feb 2, 2014

OIly skin, not oily skin, washed hand, didn't wash hands. It really shouldn't matter.

At any rate my skin is very non-oily and when I got my 3rd controller I made sure to be the only one touching it ever. It's the Left Analog that degrades. Not the Right Analog stick. It took awhile, regular, good practice of playing using that controller, but it degraded on the Left Analog just like our first two DS4's that were used by the whole family.

Good practice of playing = play normal, wash hands before playing, don't eat and play at the same time. Don't use the Analog sticks wrong.

Wahsing hands: I don't use lotion or lotiony hand washing stuff. Water and soap, then rinse very well, dry off completely.

In the end all three controllers have the hard surface below the rubbery coating of the stick, showing. All three controllers came from one store. One in the PS4 box, one separate the same night, one from the shelf many weeks later.

Message 92 of 98 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Feb 2, 2014

It does seem to be a problem as many like you are reporting the same very condition.

Now, before you get another controller, & experience the same exact issue, spend $5 bucks on some "grip-it" stick covers & be done with the problem.

No matter what you do with your current controllers...send them in for warranty / exchange, whatever...get the covers so you won't have to deal with this annoying problem again.

As I said earlier, I was having no issues with both of my DS4's but I went ahead & got a pack of covers just to make sure I didn't.

It's worth the money to put the hassle behind you bro.

Message 93 of 98 (320 Views)
Sackboy
499 posts

Mar 11, 2014

so far mines doing well had it since xmas eve. only thing ive notced is the left stick under the pad near the ball im getting a lot of etching in to the stick, from playing AC4

Message 94 of 98 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
123 posts

Mar 11, 2014

Mine is holding up fine.  Had it since launc.  Just with the battery life was better.

Message 95 of 98 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

Re: DS4 Analog Stick - How is Yours Holding Up?

Mar 11, 2014
Both of my DS4 controllers analog pads are coming off. I followed the advice of another poster an get grip it covers and everything seems to be fine now.
Message 96 of 98 (217 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Re: DS4 Analog Stick - How is Yours Holding Up?

Mar 12, 2014
The coating on my left stick tore. I just got gripper covers and like ackrin said all is fine now. However, I'm holding off on a buying a new controller for a bit hoping things get worked out.
Message 97 of 98 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
302 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 12, 2014

I have 2 controllers that had the rubber on left stick fall apart. It literally splits around the rim.

I sent 1 back to Sony and the replacement appears to have textured rubber on the sticks similar to my DS3's, the damaged one I have as a smooth textured rubber.This controller also had the R1 sticking (I do not eat while gaming so it's not due to grease or sticky drink)  I will be sending the 2nd controller back for replacement this week.

It appears to me that there may have been different batches of controllers shipped and the less textured versions are suffering this problem, at least I hope this is the case because this is my only disappointment with PS4.

This is nothing to do with user! I still have 4 fully functioning DS3's that have only needed a clean out since 2007 and finger nails are short:smileyhappy:

Message 98 of 98 (203 Views)