May 07 2007
By: abombaci Gaming Beast 2565 posts

DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER, WILL MY PS3 GO ONLINE?

30 replies 1046 views Edited May 7, 2007
I don't have a home computer. I just have a PS3, bought a Lynksys G-router and don't yet have internet service. According to the techs at Lynksys, they said I couldn't set up my router unless I used a regular PC, My question is. Do I need a regular PC to set up my modem and router when the PS3 is supposed to be like a computer and has a web browser. Do I have to have a PC to set up my modem? If I just get broadband service and have a live connection without a regular PC and run an ethenet cable to my PS3 will I be able to connect to the network (go online) without a regular PC?

Secondly if it does go online, will the PS3's web browser allow me to go to the Lynksys website so I can then set up and configure my router?

Is there anyone out there that doesn't have a PC that was able to go online with the PS3 and set up there router without the use of a PC in the first place? Does the PS3 detect the connection from the modem and then connect to the internet, or do you have to have a PC in the first place to set up the modem?

IS THERE ANYONE THAT GOT THEIR PS3 TO GO ON INTERNET THAT DOES NOT HAVE A HOME COMPUTER?

Message Edited by abombaci on 05-07-2007 05:37 PM
Photobucket

Message 17 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
633 posts

Re: DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER, WILL MY PS3 GO ONLINE?

May 4, 2007
Well the router has to connect to a computer and a broadband modem. The PS3 can't access the browser without picking up the signal from a router, which connects to a computer. So, either you buy PC or try to see if your PS3 can pick up a wireless signal in the area, which is illegal, by the way.

Also, I'm not an authority on this so you may want more responses.

Message 1 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

May 4, 2007
If your PS3 is the only thing you want hooked up to the internet, you do NOT need a router.
Just run the modem from your internet provider straight to the PS3 thru ethernet.  Its cake.

Just want to add that your provider should give you a modem and there is no setup needed, hook up and enjoy.

abombaci wrote:
I don't have a home computer. I just have a PS3, bought a Lynksys G-router and don't yet have internet serice. According to the techs at Lynksys, they said I couldn't set up my router unless I used a regular PC, My question is. Do I need a regular PC to set up my modem and router when the PS3 is supposed to be like a computer and has a web browser. Do I have to have a PC to set up my modem? If I just get broadband service and have a live connection without a regular PC and run an ethenet cable to my PS3 will I be able to connect to the network (go online) without a regular PC?

Secondly if it does go online, will the PS3's web browser allow me to go to the Lynksys website so I can then set up and configure my router?

Is there anyone out there that doesn't have a PC that was able to go online with the PS3 and set up there router without the use of a PC in the first place? Does the PS3 detect the connection from the modem and then connect to the internet, or do you have to have a PC in the first place to set up the modem?

IS THERE ANYONE THAT GOT THEIR PS3 TO GO ON INTERNET THAT DOES NOT HAVE A HOME COMPUTER?

Confused. Very, very confused!

Message Edited by whitestang on 05-03-2007 11:57 PM
PSN: Whtbullitt

Whtbullitt on Ifrit Server is dead for good this time.
VOTE RON PAUL 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 2 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2565 posts

May 4, 2007
Ok but if there's no setup needed to set up the modem and all I have to do is run an ethernet cable to the PS3 and it goes online, then can I go to the Lynksys website from my PS3 and then set up my wireless modem, because according to Lynksys you can only set up the g-router with a PC and they told me that the PS3 can't set up the router. But once I'm on with an ethernet cable, would I then be able to use the PS3's web browser to go to the site and then set up the router?

Message Edited by abombaci on 05-04-2007 12:23 AM
Photobucket

Message 3 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

May 4, 2007
you dont even need the router, period, if all your running is the PS3.  Take it back and get a refund.
So im confused why you still wanna setup the router.  But if you must have it, i highly doubt you could setup the router on the PS3.

abombaci wrote:
Ok but if there's no setup needed to set up the modem and all I have to do is run an ethernet cable to the PS3 and it goes online, then can I go to the Lynksys website from my PS3 and then set up my wireless modem, because according to Lynksys you can only set up the g-router with a PC and they told me that the PS3 can't set up the router. But once I'm on with an ethernet cable, would I then be able to use the PS3's web browser to go to the site and then set up the router?

Message Edited by abombaci on 05-04-2007 12:23 AM

Message 4 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2565 posts

May 4, 2007
I want the router so I can hook up wirelessly
Photobucket

Message 5 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2219 posts

May 4, 2007

abombaci wrote:

You still may not need, or really want, the router.  Check to see if your internet modem is available with wireless.  As an example, Qwest DSL service modems usually include both wireless and wired.  If not, another option is simply to connect a wireless access point to the modem.  Compared to a router, these are cheap and easy to setup. 
Leykis 101 - Learn it - Live it - Love it
Message 6 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

May 4, 2007
Linux would be your best bet. I am not positive on which Distros support your router but I would try Ubuntu first and use it to configure your router. Once it is configured it no longer needs to be connected to a PC and as long as it stays attached to your modem everything should work out fine.
Message 7 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

May 4, 2007
Only reason I can think of that wirelessly setting up the PS3 is a good option, is if you plan to move it from room to room where you live.
Hopefully some other responses helped you out and I wish you luck with your setup.

abombaci wrote:

Message 8 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

May 4, 2007
Sony is correct. Firstly as I said with Linux setting up this router is possible, and if you did not know your PS3 can use Linux. Also not every router requires this type of setup, so just because yours requires you to go through all this does not mean it is the same for the kid down the street. (By many an abicus is considered a computer and calculators are computers without question, so yeah the PS3 is definitaly a computer, the question is what kind of computer)
Message 9 of 31 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes