Reply
Fender Bender
Registered: 02/01/2003
Offline
3344 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

Mar 15, 2013

I figure it will be more straight-forward getting the PS3 Digital Downloads to transfer to the PS4, whenever that time arrives (but then who really knows how that backwards compatibility will play out).

 

For me, currently, if there is an option to pre-order a game through the PSN Store and it includes the pre-order bonuses that retail stores have, then I typically purchase it that way. If GoW:A had been available that way, I would have gotten it, though I do like the Steelbook cases that games sometimes have. Had I of known that Tomb Raider would be a Day 1 Digital release, I would have also bought that from the PSN Store, but there was radio silence on its availability and I wanted the pre-order Scavenger Hunt bonuses. 

 

Also, I live in a semi-small city apartment so storing game cases are a bunden (yes, yes. i need to play them faster / discard them) and I like the convience of the digital service. The most convenient part though is not having my roommate eye-ing the cases and thinking that I'm nearly qualified to be on 'Hoarders'. 

 

Ultimately, it really comes down to your own preference. If you like the smell of opening up the new game case (some people do) or like looking at your game collection or showing it to friends, then physical can be preferrable. It really just comes down to what your own expectations are in choosing between tangible or intangible formats. Everyone has brought up some really good points for both sides though.

Message 21 of 33 (143 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

[ Edited ]
Mar 15, 2013

ck2875 wrote:

I figure it will be more straight-forward getting the PS3 Digital Downloads to transfer to the PS4, whenever that time arrives (but then who really knows how that backwards compatibility will play out).

 

 


 

I actually decided to hold off on buying PS3 games until we get more information about how digital downloads transfer. Shuhei Yoshida said that if they wanted to they could allow us to transfer our PSN purchases to Gaikai because they have record on our PSN purchases. I might consider buying my PS3 games from the PSN store if they do allow us to transfer our PSN purchases to Gaikai. I don't know yet, because  I don't see a point in buying PS3 discs if I can transfer my PSN purchases to Gaikai because my PS3 will break eventually.

Message 22 of 33 (136 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 02/01/2003
Offline
3344 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

[ Edited ]
Mar 15, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

I figure it will be more straight-forward getting the PS3 Digital Downloads to transfer to the PS4, whenever that time arrives (but then who really knows how that backwards compatibility will play out).

 

 


 

I actually decided to hold off on buying PS3 games until we get more information about how digital downloads transfer. Shuhei Yoshida said that if they wanted to they could allow us to transfer our PSN purchases to Gaikai because they have record on our PSN purchases. I might consider buying my PS3 games from the PSN store if they do allow us to transfer our PSN purchases to Gaikai. I don't know yet, because  I don't see a point in buying PS3 discs if I can transfer my PSN purchases to Gaikai because my PS3 will break eventually.


 

Agreed. My theory on the retail discs is that Sony could *in theory* allow you to stick the PS3 retail disc into the PS4's drive and while it can't load the game onto the system to play, it should still be able to verify that it's a PS3 title and load it from Gaikai to stream. Since people could simply sell their physical discs, that would require the game to be in the drive slot to stream. At least that's how I hope things work.

Message 23 of 33 (131 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

Mar 15, 2013

ck2875 wrote:

Icestar10 wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

I figure it will be more straight-forward getting the PS3 Digital Downloads to transfer to the PS4, whenever that time arrives (but then who really knows how that backwards compatibility will play out).

 

 


 

I actually decided to hold off on buying PS3 games until we get more information about how digital downloads transfer. Shuhei Yoshida said that if they wanted to they could allow us to transfer our PSN purchases to Gaikai because they have record on our PSN purchases. I might consider buying my PS3 games from the PSN store if they do allow us to transfer our PSN purchases to Gaikai. I don't know yet, because  I don't see a point in buying PS3 discs if I can transfer my PSN purchases to Gaikai because my PS3 will break eventually.


 

Agreed. My theory on the retail discs is that Sony could *in theory* allow you to stick the PS3 retail disc into the PS4's drive and while it can't load the game onto the system to play, it should still be able to verify that it's a PS3 title and load it from Gaikai to stream. Since people could simply sell their physical discs, that would require the game to be in the drive slot to stream. At least that's how I hope things work.


I would love for them to do that if it were possible!

Message 24 of 33 (125 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 02/05/2013
Offline
1013 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

Mar 15, 2013
I talked about the complexities of this happening in another thread, and I highly doubt that it will. As long as you take care of your systems, they tend to last (Xbox is an exclusion from this as it randomly just dies on its own (note: the brand new Xbox 360 that got red rings of death during a presentation at e3))

I like digital for the ease of access and not having to worry about discs getting scratched. I'm a collector, so I don't get rid of my games. I don't mind physical copies either, but digital tends to be easier to obtain since you don't have to worry about it being out of stock.
My PSN
Message 25 of 33 (117 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/10/2006
Offline
2785 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

[ Edited ]
Mar 15, 2013

I remember, which is why I added "if it were possible" but the concept is nice! lol

 

I don't mind re-buying the games I want to re-play on the PS4 if my PS3 does break. I had the 60 GB PS3 and I took care of it but it still broke. so I don't know how long my slim will last but I have no plans on buying a third one. I can just re-buy and play them on Gaikai or something.  I already spent too much money on PS3 consoles. lol

Message 26 of 33 (109 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 10/29/2002
Offline
72 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

Mar 15, 2013

Depends, I find myself downloading a game if I think its something I will only play to pass the time kind of like angry birds or I buy if I feel it deserves to be in my physical collection.... like God of War. just depends how you feel about it.

Message 27 of 33 (92 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 09/16/2004
Offline
28040 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

Mar 15, 2013

If I have a choice, it's always disc. Safer that way and I don't know where these digital downloads will be 5 years down the line.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Get your Portable ID! | Killer Bees on the Swarm
Message 28 of 33 (86 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 07/23/2006
Offline
2374 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

[ Edited ]
Mar 15, 2013

I prefer disc, but recently I have been moving more toward digital.

 

I prefer disc as I can resell at any time. However, my digital library is growing due to the specials that PSN has or because it's easier to transition from downloaded games. There is no need to gently remove a disc and swap in another, when all I have to do is press a button and the next game starts. Also, I'm starting to like the idea of being able to download my games on my other system, instead of forgetting my games at home.

Message 29 of 33 (74 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 02/08/2012
Offline
189 posts
 

Re: DIGITAL OR DISC ??

Mar 15, 2013

Your ps3 will last much longer if you buy dlc out of the store . I stoped buying the disc version a long time ago , if you play hours at a time I think this is the way to go .

 photo BOSTONRED_zps198fa9ed.jpg
Message 30 of 33 (65 Views)
Reply
0 Likes