Apr 17 2013
By: roboproc First Son 23 posts

D-Pad vs Analog Stick, Which Do You Use?

[ Edited ]
8 replies 9853 views Edited Mar 17, 2014

Hey what's up guys? So, I just wanted to discuss something with the community here, hopefully I can get some insight into what others are doing. Basically, when it comes to fighting games I have serious issues trying to utilize the analog stick. Specifically when it comes to dashing forward/backward. Something about pressing forward-forward or backward-backward is difficult for me to master via the analog stick. When trying to use the analog stick I also jump a lot by accident. I feel as if I have much better control over my player when I utilize the d-pad.

However, I much prefer the analog stick to the d-pad for just about everything else. The d-pad is also tiresome on my fingers, and when it comes to doing the majority of special moves in fighting games it feels like the analog stick is better suited. So, what about you guys? Which do you use, and why? Playing Injustice yesterday really got me thinking about this, as I am having some serious problems with the analog stick.

Anyways, let's here some thoughts!

Mod Edit: Added label. Want to learn more about labels? Click here! -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 9 (9,853 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
123 posts

Re: D-Pad vs Analog Stick, Which Do You Use?

Apr 17, 2013

D-pad for sure, analog sticks are way to inacurate for my taste.

----------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Mobley: Internet Media Guy / Comic Book Writer / Podcast & Show Host / Founder of VGU.TV & Rocket Man Publishing LLC

Tumblr Blog: "Josh Likes Games." | Twitter
Message 2 of 9 (9,850 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
235 posts

Apr 18, 2013
Yes D pad for sure. Nothing to do with what but I also play inverted. Just wanted to throw that out there
Message 3 of 9 (9,840 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1261 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 18, 2013

D-Pad for sure even though i still tink at fighting games as a whole

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 9 (9,827 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 19, 2013
I always use the d-pad. The only type of analog stick like setup that is actually useful is an arcade stick because it pauses for a split second at each direction, and that pause makes your inputs so much more accurate.

If I'm playing psasbr, I use the analog stick, but for all my other fighting games, d-pad hands down.

A part of it could be that I've been playing fighting games since the NES, so the d-pad just feels so much more natural to me.
My PSN
Message 5 of 9 (9,821 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
123 posts

Apr 20, 2013

D-pad is way better, unless you're using a fight stick.

----------------------------------------------------------
Joshua Mobley: Internet Media Guy / Comic Book Writer / Podcast & Show Host / Founder of VGU.TV & Rocket Man Publishing LLC

Tumblr Blog: "Josh Likes Games." | Twitter
Message 6 of 9 (9,807 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8212 posts

Apr 20, 2013
On the stock controller, that's the D-Pad for sure. Makes it easy to hit the compass directions and diagonals.

Still though, I'm trying to make my own arcade stick.
Message 7 of 9 (9,804 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2547 posts

Apr 21, 2013
In Injustice I use a mixture of the two. Doing some button combinations requires me to use the D-Pad and some I can use an analog for.
 photo IMG_0586_zps94omlljp.jpg
Message 8 of 9 (9,797 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3346 posts

[ Edited ]
May 5, 2013

D-Pad. The only fighter i use an analog stick for is Soul Calibur 2 for the Gamecube. I play most of my fighters on the PlayStation consoles because Sony makes the best D-pads (except on the PSP-1000).

Twitter: @Xeno_VII
Message 9 of 9 (9,750 Views)
0 Likes