Sep 16 2013
By: HWGuy14 Fender Bender 3334 posts

Curious.... How does ps plus free games work?

4 replies 1156 views Edited Sep 16, 2013
Does Sony negotiate and pay the publisher something then they make it free for x amount of time?
If so how much do they pay them? In the millions or hundred thousands?

Also, why does Europe ALWAYS get better ps plus stuff like assasins creed 3, NFS most wanted, etc while we get dumb stuff like galaga
Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 5 (1,156 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2302 posts

Re: Curious.... How does ps plus free games work?

Sep 16, 2013

HWGuy14 wrote:
Does Sony negotiate and pay the publisher something then they make it free for x amount of time?

Also, why does Europe ALWAYS get better ps plus stuff like assasins creed 3, NFS most wanted, etc while we get dumb stuff like galaga

basically its not really "free" so much as a rental system. with the games having a download version Sony is allowed to use them as they see fit as long as the company gets some royals (payment). this allows for the games offered on PS Plus to be offered to paying Plus users for free. the company gets a slight part of the money Sony gets for Plus while the game is on the program, this is why normally is older games and not the brand new ones since they already make millions in sales.

as for the EU Plus, that i can't explain, maybe sales there of those games are less then in NA and Japan's or something.

Message 2 of 5 (1,136 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7958 posts

Sep 16, 2013
Europe doesnt ALWAYS get better games...

I for one greatly appreciate the value I get with my PS+

Want those games you think are better?
Move to Europe.
Hey That Chris signature
Message 3 of 5 (1,123 Views)
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Sep 16, 2013

I think Morhan Haro summed it up one day saying that Europe gets different games due to different contracts they have with game companies. The games usually are ones that dont sell well now or never did, or are trying to get games out there that may not be as popular there as here and what not. The games are decided months in advance and they always take your feedback on the blog. You can always get an EU PS+ account for yourself so you can get those games if you want, however the trophies wont be on your us PSN id

Message 4 of 5 (1,096 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3802 posts

Sep 16, 2013

HWGuy14 wrote:

We might get "better" PS+ stuff than you, but overall US store (At least in my opinion) has much more content overall.

Just look at the PS1/PS2 classics.

Message 5 of 5 (1,087 Views)
0 Likes