Highlighted
Sep 15 2012
By: Dominator142 First Son 16 posts

Cross-Game Chat In New PS3

26 replies 3277 views Edited Sep 15, 2012

So I've been reading about all the rumors of the new PS3 Super Slim that is speculated to be announced at the Tokyo Games Show, and I was wondering if Cross-Game Chat could be supported and featured on this new console? There's rumors of the new system's price starting at $150 and if that's true it'll get a lot of sales from people without a PS3, but not necessarily from people who already own a PS3. I think it'd be a smart move by Sony to add Cross-Game Chat to the new console so it'll interest people who already own a PS3, and at the lower price, I know many people who would switch to the new console. Any thoughts? Is it possible? Thanks.

Message 1 of 27 (3,277 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Cross-Game Chat In New PS3

Sep 15, 2012

its not a "new" console, its only a hardware revision made to be smaller/thinner.

Cross-Game chat is not going be available, because its still a PS3 and its already been discussed many times over, that the PS3 WILL NEVER have this feature due to limited RAM available when playing a game.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 27 (3,274 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Sep 15, 2012

I'm aware of the RAM limitations in the current PS3 models, but couldn't they just up the RAM in order to enable the feature?

Message 3 of 27 (3,270 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Sep 16, 2012

Dominator142 wrote:

I'm aware of the RAM limitations in the current PS3 models, but couldn't they just up the RAM in order to enable the feature?

That would just fragment the PS3 community.

Message 4 of 27 (3,248 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Sep 16, 2012

Dominator142 wrote:

I guess you didn't get the memo that a CONSOLE is a UNIFORM hardware and is not subject to major hardware specifications.

Increasing the RAM is a MAJOR hardware change.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 27 (3,241 Views)
Wastelander
593 posts

Sep 16, 2012
It's a new model, not an entirely new console. RAM limitations.
Message 6 of 27 (3,222 Views)
Survivor
2613 posts

Sep 16, 2012

Sorry, but no Cross-Game Chat for PS3 in the new Super Slim model. That's too much of a change. And even if they did, only the people who actually bought those consoles could use it. Let's say you bought one, does your friends do to? And if not then the feature was pointless seeing as how you can't actually use it because the install base is not that large. Cross-Game Chat in PS3 is dead. Please just move on.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 7 of 27 (3,221 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10203 posts

Sep 16, 2012

They could always come out with a RAM expander via usb stick; much like the n64's expansion pack.

Message 8 of 27 (3,195 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29427 posts

Sep 16, 2012

Emerald_Swords wrote:

They could always come out with a RAM expander via usb stick; much like the n64's expansion pack.

Don't see that happening, and it won't make that much difference. From what I know of programming, if a game is made to only use a certain amount of RAM, then it will only use that RAM. Besides, would you really want to have to deal with all the outraged gamers who'd be screaming about how Sony was ripping them off, mainly because they had to be USB RAM to use that feature? 

Message 9 of 27 (3,191 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2096 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 16, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Dominator142 wrote:

I guess you didn't get the memo that a CONSOLE is a UNIFORM hardware and is not subject to major hardware specifications.

Increasing the RAM is a MAJOR hardware change.

1) To voluntarily comply with EPA Goldstar power ratings for Game consoles now or within two years forced to do it by California power regulations for game consoles, a MASSIVE redesign of the PS3 NOT using Cell but multiple more modern PPU+ SPU multiprocessor architecture cpu packages and modern GPU and the modern support chips needed by CPU and GPU is needed.  Power at the XMB needs to drop from 61 watts to 35 watts.  This hardware is so different that Software emulation will be required.

It will probably have a AMD A6 APU core with X86 processors replaced by the CPU packages mentioned in a 2010 Sony patent: two 1PPU3SPU CPU packages.  It will probably have 1 gig of unified memory.  

2) Since X game chat is a OS feature provided by the XMB OS and running in the extra memory provided for emulation overhead it will not break PS3 games side compatibility.

3) From the previous leaks that Cross Game Chat would be a Playstation Plus feature, it's already fragmenting the PS3 userbase.  X Game chat would only be available between the newer PS3 4K and Vita and each other.  

4) If the Digitimes PS4 2012 rumor is a more modern hardware version of a PS3 that was recognized as not being PS3 hardware, (No separate Cell-RSX) it has a Kinect like interface and Sony expects to sell 20 million the first year (PS3 4K chassis), issues of not enough users with a X game Chat PS3 will be addressed very soon.  

It would be difficult to shrink cell and economically impossible to put the RSX designed for bulk process Silicon on SOI with PPU and SPU CPUs.  Microsoft and IBM had similar issues with the Xbox 360S SoC and chose to use three modern 2010 PPUs, a custom 2010 AMD GPU designed for SOI and put them on one SOI wafer @ 45nm.   A redesigned Xbox 360 is coming also and may be using essentially the same AMD A6 Core.  Suggested by microsoft-sony.com, a PS3 AMD A6 APU could emulate either PS3 or Xbox 360.  

16 gig SSD flash memory on the motherboard or in the SoC package will be in the PS4 and Xbox 720 also.  It should allow OS and Cache in the 4 gig reserved (FCC listing says 16 gig and leaks have the size 12 gigs) that will speedup snapshot boot and using the webkit stack gameside.  

Message 10 of 27 (3,189 Views)