Lombax Warrior
225 posts

Re: Crackle coming to PS3 next week!

[ Edited ]
Nov 14, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
You can easily look up Crackle on X360 videos on Youtube...

That's ok Logical_Dolphin (MVP), I've got you covered.

Here's how the current "Movies, Browse" section looks in the PS3 app:

Crackle_PS3.jpg

And here's the same area in the XBox 360 app:

Crackle_X360.jpg

NOTE: I extracted this screenshot from Crackle's own promotional video (uploaded on 1/12) and Ghostbusters is no longer available (Snatch is now on Crackle).

The XBox app fully adopts the XBox Live user interface, which looks very pretty, but with the straightforward PS3 interface, which shows fifteen movies per screen and displays a popup movie summary (as shown in picture above), I reckon PS3 owners will be the first to tuck into their popcorn :smileyhappy:.

P.S. My Crackle movie tip: Hard Times (1975) (in Action section), starring Charles Bronson, who was reportedly paid a cool million for his role as a street fighter (in 1975!) and deserved every cent. Also starring James Coburn, who's also on great form as a cocky promoter. I hadn't seen this before (not on NetFlix) and it really has an authentic feel to it (the 4/5 Crackle user rating is spot on).

P.P.S. I wonder if Sony will ever contact IMDB (my source for $1m trivia) to request that they display the Desktop version in the PS3 browser, given that even the old browser could display the site perfectly fine (I tried myself, but had no luck)...

Message 21 of 27 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4391 posts

Nov 14, 2012

Xuchilbara wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Xuchilbara wrote:

Thank the gods. Finally SONY is bring a native Crackle application to the PS3.

Sad to see that it took this long for SONY to bring a native Crackle app to the PS3. The PlayStation 3 should have been the first console/device with native crackle support, not the last.

I completely agree. I was hoping to see what it looks like when the Canadian version was available, but no one uploaded a video on Youtube. I just hope the PS3 version is as slick looking as the X360 version. I really can't stand the modified web page version of the current PS3 implementation..

Wow, you are right. I find the fact that no one has taken the time to review the Canadian Clackle app on youtube to be amusing. I guess the internet is not as social and share-happy as I thought it was. :smileytongue:
I too am hoping for the PS3 crackle app to be just as or better than the X360 version, anything less and it will be a major fail.

I had done a review on this forum for Crackle the day after it was launched in Canada.  Nice to see the search feature being used.

Here's the link.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3/Crackle-App-Review/m-p/37947983#M3796007

Be One With The Game.

Message 22 of 27 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4362 posts

Nov 15, 2012

He wanted VIDEO review Sarge not text. Seeing as this is a video application its all about how the video plays...

Canadian PS3 users don't seam to own PVRs connected to there PS3. 

And my DVD-R does not do HD...

Noticed that 1.03 update has added a resume function which is randomly working. This is likely because the application only stores chapter points instead of the time to the second...

Also noticed USB keyboard controlls are not the default set up from XMB.

S is start/stop. O is exit. Enter is select item only not pause in video... ( Esc key does nothing )

snapshot6.png

Message 23 of 27 (122 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Nov 15, 2012

Message 24 of 27 (119 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Nov 15, 2012
↑Dang phone. Was trying to scroll up and posted by accident.

Anyways, I'm glad they added the app. It is much better organized than the one on PS3 browser and easier to determine episode order of shows.
Message 25 of 27 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
225 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 16, 2012

Yay, the actual release version of the Crackle app in the U.S. (v1.01) adds specific support for the BD remote, so you can use the Enter, Pause and Scan buttons. The Scan (Forward / Back) butons just replicate the Cursor left / right functionally (with remote you'd press Enter to accept new playback position (Play button would be better)), which is fine.

Unfortunately, cold logic won out against user friendliness and Pause doesn't act like a playback toggle (pressing Pause a second time does didly) and instead you have to feel for another button, in the dark (Play)... On the original version of the remote, I hated that Amazon didn't take a leaf out of NetFlix's app and did the same thing, because the Pause button is really easy to find as it's the bottom middle button. On the new remote, it's not so easy to locate (you feel for volume button and it's the small button above this), but it would be really nice if you didn't also need to locate the Play button on Crackle, especially as Start already acted like a toggle. Rant over :smileywink:.

Message 26 of 27 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4362 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 16, 2012

strange just went on US RSS feed and end up with version 1.03 again after enforced update won't let me download 1.01 and stay there. 

O well... Looks like my IP address is getting a forced update. boo..

snapshot6.png

Message 27 of 27 (91 Views)
0 Likes