Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 21 2013
By: ColorlessMage Lombax Warrior 117 posts
Accepted Solution

Could the ps4 kill sony?

13 replies 299 views Edited Feb 21, 2013

If you all seen the conference the ps4 is a beast on paper and visually,but the price of it...

8gddr5 is expensive as hell,we could quite possibly see a 500+ tag on the system and it could still be sold at a loss.

And we all know what happens to high priced consoles,what do you guys think?

I'm abit worried about that considering they can't let this sell bad,the hit would be too great on the playstation brand.

Message 1 of 14 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Re: Could the ps4 kill sony?

Feb 21, 2013

You realize the PS3 originally sold at $599? It did have a quick drop to $499, but it sold at that price for a while.

New consoles will always have a high price tag and with that the library of games will always be barren.

The PS4's success or failure won't come down to the price tag.

Message 2 of 14 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Sony is a whole lot more than PlayStation. Even if PS4 was D.O.A and Sony made no money on anything else they sold it would take another decade at least for the entire company to go belly up.
Message 3 of 14 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Mystic_Gon wrote:
Sony is a whole lot more than PlayStation. Even if PS4 was D.O.A and Sony made no money on anything else they sold it would take another decade at least for the entire company to go belly up.

QFT. They still make the best TVs, IMO...but that's for another thread.

The first price rumor I saw listed it at $400. That seems exceptionally low, but if that's the case, that's $200 less than what the PS3 launched at. Another site had two models listed at $429 and $529, though no details one what the difference in models were (probably HDD size, but who knows).

IMO, it'll all boil down to launch roster.

Message 4 of 14 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Mystic_Gon wrote:

Really?

I thought sony was in a tight spot finicially,I mean doesn't 1gddr ram cost 200$ alone?

I know the price of hardware tech is lowered for companies like sony but still,I don't think sony could eat at that loss.

and xclawmeow your partially right,but ascessability is another important for a system.

I'm only worried because i fear a ps4 failure could lead to the discontinuation of the Vita to keep the platform afloat.

Message 5 of 14 (267 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4768 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

ColorlessMage wrote:

If you all seen the conference the ps4 is a beast on paper and visually,but the price of it...

8gddr5 is expensive as hell,we could quite possibly see a 500+ tag on the system and it could still be sold at a loss.

I'm abit worried about that considering they can't let this sell bad,the hit would be too great on the playstation brand.

Despite the PS3 doing fine despite in the beginning it being sold for $599, how in the heck is this Vita related?!

I know this forum has it's share of people who doom and gloom the Vita everyday , just like the early years of the PS3, again...

How is this related to the Vita whatsoever?!

Will report and hopefully a mod will move this thread to it's appropiate area. I'm unsure if there is a PS4 section up on this forum just yet for the doom and gloomers to mosey around in, I'm sure the PS3 section will be a second alternative not the Vita section...

P.S like to reiterate like one poster said, many people don't understand too much about business here, so it's understandable everyone thinks Sony is in financial trouble, when really - they aren't. Sony pretty much tried to cover evrything in regards to the market and gain sales from many avenues and roll in money just fine. Just not the amount investors are use to lately and Sony off putting altered projections they think will bring in. Sony is doing fine as a company, just not bringing in the high cash flow they are use to seeing. If you look in articles, Kaz has done wonders in fixing up the company to bring better cash flow, like merging thier originally spliced phone company and bringing down the amount of models per year per item so not to confuse consumers (tv models were in the 30+ variety range but after Kaz came in it's now down to an amount you can count on both hands). Sony is doing fine and in actuality, they gaming division brings in the most profit.

Message 6 of 14 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

da1writer wrote:

ColorlessMage wrote:

Despite the PS3 doing fine despite in the beginning it being sold for $599, how in the heck is this Vita related?!

I know this forum has it's share of people who doom and gloom the Vita everyday , just like the early years of the PS3, again...

Will report and hopefully a mod will move this thread to it's appropiate area. I'm unsure if there is a PS4 section up on this forum just yet for the doom and gloomers to mosey around in, I'm sure the PS3 section will be a second alternative not the Vita section...

So hostile....and there isn't a ps4 forum so.....

Also re-read my last sentence.

Message 7 of 14 (263 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4768 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

ColorlessMage wrote:

da1writer wrote:

ColorlessMage wrote:

So hostile....and there isn't a ps4 forum so.....

Also re-read my last sentence.

Hostile, I'm giving you an informed answer and you take it as if I'm about to hit ya with a frying pan or something... ok.

I'm one of the VERY FEW here who stand fully behind the Vita and PS3 (in other words Sony) and I primarily play on my 360 currently ( da1writer1985, playing Mass Effect 3 due to continued save file, will be playing Foza Horizon after). Your last sentence is the very thing I heard about the PS3 with it's giant price tag in the beginning (due to new things like the cell processor, bluray player built in, etc.), had a floundering first few years - Sony treated the PS3 as a marathon and look as where the PS3 is now, surpassed the 360 in sales even after coming a year after it with doom and gloomers in the beginning saying, "Who is gong to buy a console with no games", "I'll never buy a PS3 at that proce, it's going to fail", "PS3 will be Sony's last console and will join the ranks of the Dreamcast." I've been down this road son... We are currently going down this same path with some of the Vita owners (and non-owners) spouting the same crap I heard so long ago with the no games line and too expensive dialogue. Normal consumers believe every gaming device needs to hit the ground running with 10games a month, be cheap as sub-sidized phones, games need to be a $1 or free, or be all the above.

The PS4 price is rumored right now and probably won't be announced until E3, but seeing how the economy is, I'm sure the price range will be $399 for the cheaper model and $499 for the other..

Still though, not related to Vita. Some here may think otherwise like yourself but people like Juan will chew ya up as he doesn't buy consoles, he prefer's no connectivity between the PS3/PS4 with the Vita [as an "accessary", whatever that means] as he prefers the Vita to solely stand on it's own (despite the majority of Vita owners owning a PS3). 

Message 8 of 14 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Feb 21, 2013
Yeah Sony Corp. has over $20 billion in assets. Chances are the sporting event you may have watched recently was shot with a Sony camera. Yes, the company is hemorrhaging money and stock prices have been dropping like a rock but Sony has a way to go before it's executives start throwing themselves off the roofs of their multi-billion dollar skyscrapers.
Message 9 of 14 (240 Views)
Fender Bender
4602 posts

Feb 21, 2013

To change up the topic ever so slightly, I think that from reading general user comments on the PS4, it is not looking A+.  Correct me if I'm wrong, as I have not actually fully looked into the PS4's intended features, but from a few websites and the comment section, the main complaints are the idea that games will be streamed, no chance of used games and so forth, and mainly the idea that these games are always online and cannot be played offline.

While I find that Sony should have the common sense that many people still play games on their free time, an internet connection should not determine whether a game os playable or not.  I take my PS3 around with me on occasion for some of those "dry" vacation spots at times.  I don't see this being a problem as it should not be the case.  However, the idea of killing off the secondhand market is questionable.  I understand the pros which would be allowing developers to be more compensated for their hard work and so forth, but also the negatives which kill not only physical content (if it's streamed) and also not being able to sell a copy (which is always nicer to have than not).  This just gets into a big physical copy or digital copy debate, but that can be for another day. 

The price on the other hand will not kill Sony alone.  It would have to be a colossal failure on all departments for Sony, but for Playstation they will be fine.  Don't forget, Sony is a 20+ billion dollar major corporation.  They can handle losses for longer gains I.E PS2 (massive success obviously).

Green Collar Baseball. Go A's!

Message 10 of 14 (215 Views)
0 Likes