Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 24 2012
By: wazzup007 First Son 1 posts

Could the lag be caused by my PS3?

27 replies 1538 views Edited Dec 24, 2012

Recently (within the last 2 weeks) I started experiencing unbearable amounts of lag on the 2 games I play most- Battlefield 3 and COD:BO2

On COD- i always flicker between 1-2 bars and I find myself getting kicked from servers on BF3 pretty often. 

Before this, I've played my PS3 for years without any issues. Some lag here and there but nothing this bad. 

I got a new router- tried that- it didn't work. 

Tried a new modem- nothing. 

Got a range expander/repeater- doesn't work.

Tried a wired connection- no improvement. 

I opened all ports for the PS3, and did the DMZ thing- but to no avail. 

So now I'm wondering- could it be my PS3?

it's a Slim 160GB that I bought used from Gamestop this summer after my old 60GB Fat PS3 got the YLOD. 

Any help?

Message 1 of 28 (1,538 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Re: Could the lag be caused by my PS3?

Dec 24, 2012

its not the ps3 you have to call your provider and they will do a test online to see if you might have noise/interference in your line. that's usually the case. dont mess with your setting in dmz or anything that just makes it worse. also, you should always be wired, never wireless for gaming especially on ps3. PS3 does not have Wireless N, it uses Wireless G which is old and really slow. WIFI G is not recommended for HD viewing or gaming. until they release a N adapter, which is 15x faster than G, stay wired.

Equality for all
Message 2 of 28 (1,528 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9941 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 24, 2012

I think they should have pulled the G adaptor out of the console completely. Even if they didn't provide an N adaptor. That G wifi is giving PSN a very bad reputation from a lot of misinformed gamers.

Message 3 of 28 (1,525 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Dec 24, 2012

go to speedtest.net on your PC and let us know the results

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 4 of 28 (1,518 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Dec 24, 2012

so agree. its really bad yet people think its totally fine. N is where its at, even the ps vita has N wifi its blazing fast.

Equality for all
Message 5 of 28 (1,495 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3877 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 24, 2012

Smeg Wifi N. Lump of crap. 

Come on 802.11ac woot. Dam routers look ugly..

gbhd

gghfdgfd

Good job you can hide these away....

PLEX APP for PS3 and PS4... free version coming soon...
NO NEED For DLNA...
Message 6 of 28 (1,490 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 24, 2012

Your Mbs and upload don't mean nothing.  What really matters is a good strong connection to the servers.  Back when I had dial up playing eq, I was zoning faster then people with cable.  However to download updates for the game took a long time.

total recall dster, how many ISPs been saying you need Major Mbps, it's a lie and a ripoff of the rich.  8-12 is sufficient For nice download.

if you have tons of things hooked up to Internet you may want more Mbps, but if you only use 3 things at a time or so. 15mps tops is sufficient.  8-12 is good in my opinion, im supposed to be getting 12, it's working out for me.

last I read, call of duty servers have issues.

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 7 of 28 (1,485 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Dec 25, 2012

TheDster wrote:

Your Mbs and upload don't mean nothing.  What really matters is a good strong connection to the servers.  Back when I had dial up playing eq, I was zoning faster then people with cable.  However to download updates for the game took a long time.

total recall dster, how many ISPs been saying you need Major Mbps, it's a lie and a ripoff of the rich.  8-12 is sufficient For nice download.

if you have tons of things hooked up to Internet you may want more Mbps, but if you only use 3 things at a time or so. 15mps tops is sufficient.  8-12 is good in my opinion, im supposed to be getting 12, it's working out for me.

last I read, call of duty servers have issues.

^^^

Don't trust this guy with anything that he says.... he's an idiot.

You have no idea wht you're even talking about..... "faster online than anyone with cable modem" ? really? I know for a FACT, that is complete BS.

Message 8 of 28 (1,442 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 25, 2012

Whatever you say grey, if you want to listen and spend more go right ahead.  The Mbps is downloads, not connection to servers.  They will tamper with your connection just to see if they can get more money from you.  ISPs, if you believe them go right ahead and give them the money.

they will tell you you need this or that, Moor Mbps and such.  You don't though, my PC at that time was lightning fast and dial up was zoning faster then cable.  My brother and a guy on eq couldn't believe I was on dial up and zoning that fast.

Also this dsl 12mbps, is so much better then my so called 30mbps speeds from cable company.  It's how they get you.  They even offered me tech insurance at my cable company.  They said I needed a docsis 3 modem, so I got theirs and had 30mbps for a total of 3 days. then I couldn't connect to games and servers, then they told me I needed more then 30mbpreal get real and goodbye.

ipads mess with your spelling, I don't like that.

Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Message 9 of 28 (1,428 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 25, 2012

TheDster wrote:

Whatever you say grey, if you want to listen and spend more go right ahead.  The Mbps is downloads, not connection to servers.  They will tamper with your connection just to see if they can get more money from you.  ISPs, if you believe them go right ahead and give them the money.

they will tell you you need this or that, Moor Mbps and such.  You don't though, my PC at that time was lightning fast and dial up was zoning faster then cable.  My brother and a guy on eq couldn't believe I was on dial up and zoning that fast.

Also this dsl 12mbps, is so much better then my so called 30mbps speeds from cable company.  It's how they get you.  They even offered me tech insurance at my cable company.  They said I needed a docsis 3 modem, so I got theirs and had 30mbps for a total of 3 days. then I couldn't connect to games and servers, then they told me I needed more then 30mbpreal get real and goodbye.

ipads mess with your spelling, I don't like that.

You're an idiot...

For the past 2 years, I've had two lines to my house.... one is 150/75 and is FREE because my girlfriends company pays for it since she is a video editor and 3D content creator that works at home, which going to be upgraded to Gigabit speed to increase her productivity, to offload her rendering processes to the company servers. She goes through 2-5TB of data each month.

the 2nd line I have which is for everything else is a 50/25 connection of Verizon FIOS that I've had for 3 years and I've always paid the same $45/mo I have always paid even when I was still under their 2 year contract. They've never "messed" with my connection speed, and in most cases I get closer to a 75/30 speed. 

But, you're not the one who's paying for the internet, mommy does... so you have absolutely NO IDEA what kind of service she is actually paying for. 

Oh, by the way.... my ping time is always between 5-50ms depending on how many devices are actually using the internet at any given time.

Heres a recent speed test if you think I'm a liar.... This is with an iPad 3 downloading a movie, the laptop I am typing with at this very moment downloading 30Gb PC game through Steam, and my girlfriend streaming netflix right now. Test server is less than 50miles awat
speedtest 

I
Ignore what it says about my ISP being Road Runner... thats the LOCAL server that provides the bandwidth. And is usually applies for anyone who runs a speedtest as the ISP is going to be different than who they send their money to.

And a test from a server that is almost 1,000miles away....

speedtest2

Message 10 of 28 (1,409 Views)
0 Likes