Nov 01 2011
By: xX_Ninja_x-X-x First Son 8 posts

Correct Hard Disk Not Found Help?

9 replies 67 views Edited Nov 1, 2011

Yea so im new to the forums. ok so basically what happened to me was i downloaded the Resistance 3 demo.. so it downloads no problem. i goto install it.. it goes fine until about 40% then it lags up majorly and stayed at the same percentage for a good few minutes before resuming. when it installed i tried to launch the game. i got the black screen forever. so i turned my system off, and now all i get is the same error message: Cannot Start. The Correct Hard Disk Cannot be found. guys i have tried everything. I called sony today and they want me to pay 100 bucks to get my hard disk fixed. i cannot access safe mode anymore.. i only go into it once. and i am doing all the correct steps. Any help at all. would be really welcome. thanks for ur time. And sorry if this is in the wrong topic. i really didnt know which one to goto :/

Ninja's FTW!
Message 1 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Correct Hard Disk Not Found Help?

Nov 1, 2011

Your hard drive might be toast. It might be new hard drive time. You should be able to find one for around $50-60 on Newegg. You need a 2.5" SATA drive no taller than 9.5 mm. You'll need a long handled precision Phillips screwdriver. Remember to handle the bare drive by the edges and not the circuit board.

Message 2 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 1, 2011

Ah alright. now i see on some websites people say they replace theirs with like desktop computers and laptops hard disks is this a move i should make or shouldnt? i really dont have the money to get a new one and i have a extra desktop and laptop.

Ninja's FTW!
Message 3 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 1, 2011

You can only fit laptop drives in the PS3. Desktop drives won't fit. It's fairly simple to swap hard drives. You may need a spare USB thumb drive with the newest PS3 firmware update loaded on it; make sure you follow the instructions on how to put the firmware update file on the thumb drive.

Message 4 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 1, 2011

Thanks for the help. ill give it a try

Ninja's FTW!
Message 5 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 25, 2011

and i was having another question. ok so i ordered a hard drive off amazon its the same model and stuff. but my uncle had a idea. could i use an external hard drive as a main hard drive? i have a spare one laying around and i was curious

Ninja's FTW!
Message 6 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Nov 25, 2011

that is one way of doing it. but a little more complicated than that.

you'll need the proper cabling to attach the drive to the INTERNAL hdd connections.

simply using an external hdd through the usb ports IS NOT going to work. people have done it so that they can get a 2TB and now 3TB for their PS3.... but is a very unprofessional job as you'll have a hole on the side of your PS3 and ugly hard drive sitting right next to it with some cables conjoining them.

BEFORE you do ANYTHING.....

FIRST, buy a cheap external laptop drive enclosure. they're between $5-15+

download any freeware/shareware program that allows hard drive scannning, recovery etc etc. Even windows itself can perform this.

connect the drive and run the program and check for errors, basically what we are looking for is to confirm the drive is actually dead.

Windows WILL NOT read the drive as a usable format, so it will not show up under My Computer. But it will show up under Device Manager under Disk Drives. MAKE VERY CERTAIN that you are looking at the PS3 drive.

If windows can detect the drive, then its not dead. try to format the drive and then reinstall into the PS3 and see if the PS3 asks you to install firmware or asks for a storage device to install the firmware.

If your computer doest not display the drive in device manager, then its toast.

there are PS3 compatibile hard drives for DIRT CHEAP. i got my 500gb for $89 a few years ago.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE the physical dimensions of the drive list its height as 9.5mm or it will not fit as there are 12mm tall drives as well.

you can save a little bit more money by buying a desktop hard drive, but like i stated before, it will be an eye sore. and who wants to have a ghetto rigged hard drive setup on their PS3?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 25, 2011

Yea i tried it through the usb ports and it didnt do anything. but im pretty sure my hard drives fried as it has been left on for very long periods of time... im talking weeks. ( i know i know) so im pretty sure its the hard drive

Ninja's FTW!
Message 8 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Nov 25, 2011

so you already connected the PS3s hdd to a computer?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
8 posts

Nov 25, 2011

i dont think i got the wires for that what was it i needed?

Ninja's FTW!
Message 10 of 10 (67 Views)
0 Likes