Jun 26 2013
By: Navstar First Son 18 posts

Copying 4GB+ files from PS3 HDD

5 replies 390 views Edited Jun 26, 2013

I downloaded the PS4 announce video (6GB) and the E3 2013 Press Conference (5GB) from the Playstation Store onto my PS3 hard drive.

How can I get these movies off my PS3? If I plug-in an external FAT32 HDD, the PS3 gives me an error message if I try to copy these files. I'm assuming because they are larger than the 4GB limit of FAT32.

Also tried downloading a fresh copy from Playstation Store to the external hard drive and I get the same error.

Does the PS3 support external drives fomatted in anything else besides FAT32? Does it support exFAT?

---- END OF LINE
Message 1 of 6 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2499 posts

Re: Copying 4GB+ files from PS3 HDD

Jun 26, 2013

I don't know about the external hdd way but you can do it with a usb flash drive, go to the video section of your XMB (make sure you have usb flash drive plugged into one of the usb ports on your PS3 and go to the video you want to copy, press the triangle button and on the right hand side you'll get a menu go to "copy" and press the X button and your usb flash drive will come up as the place you will save it to.

I do this all the time when i need to move things around, espcecially when you decide to upgrade your hdd (just put all your game saves on the usb flash drive and when your finished put everything back on without losing anything).

This works for game saves, pictures, music etc.....

Message 2 of 6 (368 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jun 26, 2013

The PS3 requires external devices to be in FAT32 format....

The limitation of FAT32 is that files cannot be larger than 4GB.... So either you download it to your computer from a website, or it sits on your PS3.

This why I hope the PS4 supports more efficient file systems like NTFS..... most of my movies are at least 10GB large

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 6 (360 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Jun 27, 2013

But have you done this with very large files (>4GB)?  I can copy other media just fine... except for these two very large files. 

---- END OF LINE
Message 4 of 6 (339 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Jun 27, 2013

Yes I've tried, long time ago before I knew much of computers. You can't.

It is a limitation of FAT32. Theres no way around it.

You did not have a file size larger than 4GB, if you did.... its not a FAT32 file system 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 6 (331 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jun 27, 2013

If you use some third party software like Plex Server on your PC or PS3 media center you can transfer stuff through your network. I used it for music and some tv shows I had bought off Amazon Video and took the drm off. If I buy a digital show I should own that copy amazon @_@!

Note Plex server is a app on most smart phones that will allow you to stream via wifi or Cellar service 3g/4g media on your pc to your mobile device. It cost me I think 9bucks on my phone. The pc does the transcoding and and allows your phone to just watch the stuff. My favorite part is it has apps within the app. I can use plex media server to show regular Hulu video on my phone when I'm away from the computer or home without having to pay for the plus service app.
Neither of these will help with removing the game from the console HDD to another storage device though.

Message 6 of 6 (321 Views)
0 Likes