Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Re: Console gaming could soon be hardcore gamers only. Sony chasing wrong crowd?

Apr 9, 2013

I like games, some games are also on PC. I have a good PC I built early this year. Good Specs, but even it can't run well the games I would play, 3D or not, without having to check to see if there's an update to my videocards or if Nvidia says I should or shouldn't, or can't do this or that.

PS3 3D works. Some games it's nicer than others, movies too. But I don't have to worry about it at all, plus I like too many games that are not on PC and that's that. Sony Exclusives are awesome. Cosoles aren't going away.

Message 31 of 42 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3326 posts

Re: Console gaming could soon be hardcore gamers only. Sony chasing wrong crowd?

Apr 9, 2013

Achievements in games are pointless and people would still play without them as they did since way back with the pong machine...it's just so 12 year olds can brag to their friends"i did it and you didn't"...

and when it comes to achievements and trophy's in PC games it becomes even more pointless because these games all can be manipulated and hacked with memory editors etc..and you could get all the trophy's without ever actually playing the game..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 32 of 42 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 9, 2013

Beastingonu247 wrote:

Console gaming without a doubt is either shifting or deflating. My gut tells me it's deflating and it's because of tablets and phones fullfilling the quick cheap fix most simplistic casuals look for in gaming. This leads me to believe console gaming will eventually turn into PC gaming, it will be hardcore gamers only, a fraction of the install base it used to have.

Now this is not a bad thing at all if a company like Sony understands where to put there focus. You could still be very profitable. You don't have to release consoles at a loss and you don't have to make games to try and chase down the casual crowd. It wil be easier, cheaper and should be more profitable.

But does Sony foresee this in the future? with all their indie love and different approach to games next-gen, I think they are still trying to chase a crowd that is fading, I don't know if it's casuals, kids or females, but it's in that vicinity.

The dangerous part about all of this is not satisfying your true hardcore following, instead trying to please a crowd that may not even be there. Then you'll start losing your hardcore following and that's when you go out of business, we've seen it all before.

What do you think on the future of console gaming and PS4's outlook? 

I think you missed the big picture throughout the (now coming to an end) current generation... 

The generation we're in was completely saturated with sequels and a very limited amount of genres to choose from. Just have a look at how many games were shooters on the PS3, and you'll get my point straight away.

Sony isn't marketing to a casual audience. That was Nintendo's mistake with the Wii. Publishers were extremely unhappy with their games going into bargain bins after a month or two. Casual gamers are important to attract because they're the guys who are typically new to our culture, and there's a chance those casuals will eventually grow to become Core gamers like us.

But, that is not Sony's market. Sony knows that games need to mature alongside the gamers. This expands the demographic, and a broad demographic means more people willing to purchase hardware, and more options for publishers to make games for. Furthermore, core gamers bring the potential to turn a new IP into a franchise which will create cash flow. Casuals play a game and forget about it. There's no cash flow to be made from that audience. Consider the success of the Wii and the failure of the Wii-U immediately following. Smiley Wink

If you watch the PS4 reveal closely, you'll notice they dance around the issues that plagued the PS3 so they don't slander their own product. What I understood from the PS4 announcement, was that they are focused on the core gamer, but also realized there was an issue when it came to publisher creativity. An FPS with online play features this gen became a low risk opportunity for publishers to invest in. That meant saturation for an entire generation, filled with sequels and generic dopplegangers.

Sony's fix is to let gamers try EVERY game at the touch of a button, before commiting to a purchase. That ultimately means, sequels and genres mean nothing. You buy something you "love", not a sequel to something you "loved". It's the indy developers like Media Molecule and ThatGameCompany that are doing some truly genre breaking creative stuffs.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a great way to tackle the issue. Now publishers will slowly learn that standing out from the pack with a quality game that's genre breaking will yield more success than simply slapping on a number after a popular franchise name. And when they learn that, publishers will start investing in creative concepts and not just the tried and true.

Think of it this way, do you think Final Fantasy XIII would have been able to sell as well as it did if we were all able to have instant access to the full version of the game as a trial, and instantly? 

Message 33 of 42 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Apr 9, 2013

kythunder wrote:

Achievements in games are pointless and people would still play without them as they did since way back with the pong machine...it's just so 12 year olds can brag to their friends"i did it and you didn't"...

and when it comes to achievements and trophy's in PC games it becomes even more pointless because these games all can be manipulated and hacked with memory editors etc..and you could get all the trophy's without ever actually playing the game..lol

I'm 35 years old, and I love trophies.

I don't particularly know why. But **bleep** it, I LOVE THAT CHIME!! 

Message 34 of 42 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Apr 9, 2013
I agree somewhat with the opening posters point of view. Sony's strategy is to turn the casual or 'low value' gamer into a hardcore or 'high value' gamer. Their plan is to be patient and wait for mobile market to yearn for something more but they also want to cash in on the shift with PS Mobile.

It could work but they are at the mercy of phone makers. If a group of engineers decide to make a handset with a viable gamepad and it catches on, consoles will be an even harder sell to the mass market. Especially at the rate tech is advancing.

Mobile and PCs are tools that people will always need and I think the more capable and streamlined they get the more attractive they will look to publishers chasing the almighty dollar and consumers willing to spend it.
Message 35 of 42 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2117 posts

Apr 10, 2013

I definitely see consoles as hard core gaming only in the next 4 years. 4 years ago it was a big deal to be able to e mail, face book and browse on a tablet. If you were luckey enough to even have a tablet. Now I am seeing people play nintendo, ps1, ps2 and short versions of ps3 or x box games on a tablet. You can get some some ps1 and ps2 games that Sony has not give us on a tablet yet. In 4 more years tablets will advance enough be able to be able to play full ps3, x box and up to date pc games. And the way most of the tablet companys are they will have more of a sellection than the game companys. They seem to listen and give people what they want faster. If the next 4 years advance like the last 4 I can see it happening.

Happy Gaming.

Message 36 of 42 (52 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Apr 10, 2013

I think in general both the traditional pc and console we have in the future will only be limited to hardcore as well.  I agree tablets are really cutting into the market big time.  

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 37 of 42 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Message 38 of 42 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3326 posts

Apr 10, 2013

tablets and phones will NEVER, i repeat NEVER replace an actual gamers choice of pc or console.....

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 39 of 42 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Apr 10, 2013
I wonder if arcade fans said the same thing at the dawn of the console age...
Message 40 of 42 (37 Views)
0 Likes