Apr 05 2013
By: Beastingonu247 First Son 18 posts

Console gaming could soon be hardcore gamers only. Sony chasing wrong crowd?

[ Edited ]
41 replies 505 views Edited Apr 5, 2013

Console gaming without a doubt is either shifting or deflating. My gut tells me it's deflating and it's because of tablets and phones fullfilling the quick cheap fix most simplistic casuals look for in gaming. This leads me to believe console gaming will eventually turn into PC gaming, it will be hardcore gamers only, a fraction of the install base it used to have.

Now this is not a bad thing at all if a company like Sony understands where to put there focus. You could still be very profitable. You don't have to release consoles at a loss and you don't have to make games to try and chase down the casual crowd. It wil be easier, cheaper and should be more profitable.

But does Sony foresee this in the future? with all their indie love and different approach to games next-gen, I think they are still trying to chase a crowd that is fading, I don't know if it's casuals, kids or females, but it's in that vicinity.

The dangerous part about all of this is not satisfying your true hardcore following, instead trying to please a crowd that may not even be there. Then you'll start losing your hardcore following and that's when you go out of business, we've seen it all before.

What do you think on the future of console gaming and PS4's outlook? 

Message 1 of 42 (505 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Re: Console gaming could soon be hardcore gamers only. Sony chasing wrong crowd?

Apr 5, 2013

the ps4 and console gaming will do just fine for many many years to come as it still has a huge crowd as seen just by the amount of 360 and ps3 owners and will not just deflate overnight...games like farmville and silly smartphone games do not fill the gaming needs of most people that actually GAME....

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 42 (480 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7392 posts

Re: Console gaming could soon be hardcore gamers only. Sony chasing wrong crowd?

Apr 5, 2013

Even better so that way i dont have to see developers making their games casual like Evolution with Motorstorm Apocalypse, Guerrilla Games with Killzone 3 or Socom 4. 

Message 3 of 42 (470 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

Apr 5, 2013

What do you mean exactly by hardcore? PC Gamers = Hardcore?

Message 4 of 42 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Apr 5, 2013

SONY spends a ton of money on market research...we will always have our over-the-top AAA titles, and if need be, plenty of weird indie games that have you piloting a camera watching an octopus-mecha petrify a dog.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 5 of 42 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Mananambal wrote:

How more hardcore can you get than the Sims: Makin Magic?

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 6 of 42 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

Apr 5, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

Mananambal wrote:

How more hardcore can you get than the Sims: Makin Magic?

Or Sims: Space Colonies! LOL

Message 7 of 42 (451 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Yea..... no...

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 42 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11733 posts

Apr 5, 2013

From the looks of things, Sony is pushing the PlayStation 4 with the same attention the PlayStation 3 got from all bases being covered. With PlayStation Move-centric games casual gamers are likely to flock with at least one project so far being expressed by Media Molecule. Hardcore gamers meanwhile are being given entries such as Killzone: Shadow Fall and Infamous: Second Son. Knack itself looks to be a game appropriate for all groups.

Even with games like The Witness, the PlayStation 4 is showing signs that it's not committing itself to one specific genre or game type. It's not as if the PlayStation 4 will be lost in the pages of 95% casual concentration or that of no alteration from a complete hardcore gaze. With the system being more social it's sure to pick up on games for families. But with some established franchises and new ones coming in, hardcore gamers too will likely not be alienated by the game offerings. At least let's hope not.

Message 9 of 42 (448 Views)
Naughty Paw
20182 posts

Apr 5, 2013
Honestly, I can't see this happening. With such titles like LittleBigPlanet and Sony's PlayStation Move bringing more family-oriented games onto the market, I can't possibly see the PlayStation console becoming a hardcore gamer-only console. The Xbox 360 and the future Microsoft console are in the same boat as Sony, as they are also making success off of Kinect and its family-friendly titles, such as Dance Central and others.

In short, no, gaming consoles aren't becoming "hardcore-only" anytime soon, if ever at all.
Message 10 of 42 (443 Views)
0 Likes