Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Re: Console gaming could soon be hardcore gamers only. Sony chasing wrong crowd?

Apr 5, 2013
Like Mana said. Consoles are usually for us who don't want to get too into the PC specs, and too much into our wallets. Consoles should always be casual gamer friendly, it should be something that we buy, and simply plug in and play, without having to worry about upgrading every few years in hardware, to installing certain programs to get certain things to work, etc...

PC=Hardcore Gamer crowd usually, not home consoles.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 42 (158 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Re: Console gaming could soon be hardcore gamers only. Sony chasing wrong crowd?

Apr 5, 2013
Consoles are in no way, shape, or form becoming hardcore gamers only. Consoles have always been and probably always will be for the general gaming community. Games such as: Super Mario Bros., Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Centipede, Donkey Kong, Sonic the Hedgehog, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Dance Central, Little Big Planet, Catherine (for gameplay), the annual sports games, Halo, Call of Duty, Bioshock, InFAMOUS, The Elder Scrolls, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, and so many other franchises are proof that the console market has never been strictly for hardcore gamers, nor has it been strictly for the casual gamer.

PC gaming tends to be much more expensive because of the need to upgrade your hardware to match your software's requirements. While this does lead to hardcore PC gamers, you will find that the majority of players on PC will not upgrade their computers in order to play a game. They will lower the settings on the game itself so that it is able to run most efficiently on their hardware.

The big differences between the two are input types, software development tactics (consoles have the software built around the hardware, where PC is the opposite), background process capabilities, and potential graphical output. PC is generally higher grade in graphics because the game does not have to be built around a specific set of hardware. Consoles tend to be better for overall performance because of the lack of background processes, lower cost hardware requirements (in terms of processing cost, not economic cost), dedicated architecture for science based processing (yes video games are VERY scientific in their mathematical computations), and the lower operating system cost (again, processing cost on the hardware).

This is why when you see someone talking about their "gaming rig", you will see prices in the thousands of dollars as compared to a console only costing a couple of hundred. A single PC can have as many several thousand background processes running at once (music, Internet browser, voice chat software, anti-virus, anti-malware, video capture, and of course the operating system itself). You will not see this in a console because a console is a dedicated piece of equipment that is only running one or two programs at the same time (Xbox is the exception with it's standalone voice chat function which is always active regardless of rather you're using it or not (hard coded into the OS to activate at startup).

That being said, neither consoles nor PCs are focused on the hardcore gamer. PCs are not restricted like consoles are to a specific hardware setup, so their processing cost can get extremely high and require more and more powerful machines to run them. The hardcore gamer has always been and always will be an extreme in both markets. They will never be the focus since there are so few of them. You just hear about them more because of their rarity.
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 42 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1387 posts

Apr 5, 2013
nope... doubt that will happen
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 42 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
573 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 5, 2013

Beastingonu247 wrote:

Console gaming without a doubt is either shifting or deflating. My gut tells me it's deflating and it's because of tablets and phones fullfilling the quick cheap fix most simplistic casuals look for in gaming. This leads me to believe console gaming will eventually turn into PC gaming, it will be hardcore gamers only, a fraction of the install base it used to have.

Now this is not a bad thing at all if a company like Sony understands where to put there focus. You could still be very profitable. You don't have to release consoles at a loss and you don't have to make games to try and chase down the casual crowd. It wil be easier, cheaper and should be more profitable.

But does Sony foresee this in the future? with all their indie love and different approach to games next-gen, I think they are still trying to chase a crowd that is fading, I don't know if it's casuals, kids or females, but it's in that vicinity.

The dangerous part about all of this is not satisfying your true hardcore following, instead trying to please a crowd that may not even be there. Then you'll start losing your hardcore following and that's when you go out of business, we've seen it all before.

What do you think on the future of console gaming and PS4's outlook? 

what are you talking about, did you see all that socialnetworkmediashare crap they are adding to the PS4?

one could almost argue the complete opposite of what your saying imo, PC gaming will always be for more hardcore gamers, if not simply for the fact that if you control the hardware its easy to manipulate the software.

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 42 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

Apr 5, 2013
Any gamer hardcore in their right mind would go PC, http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=JBN5MNpYWlY

With resolutions native of http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080513115651AAfN1yh

There maybe higher native resolution monitors.
Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 42 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8116 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Beastingonu247 wrote:

Console gaming without a doubt is either shifting or deflating. My gut tells me it's deflating and it's because of tablets and phones fullfilling the quick cheap fix most simplistic casuals look for in gaming. This leads me to believe console gaming will eventually turn into PC gaming, it will be hardcore gamers only, a fraction of the install base it used to have.

Now this is not a bad thing at all if a company like Sony understands where to put there focus. You could still be very profitable. You don't have to release consoles at a loss and you don't have to make games to try and chase down the casual crowd. It wil be easier, cheaper and should be more profitable.

But does Sony foresee this in the future? with all their indie love and different approach to games next-gen, I think they are still trying to chase a crowd that is fading, I don't know if it's casuals, kids or females, but it's in that vicinity.

The dangerous part about all of this is not satisfying your true hardcore following, instead trying to please a crowd that may not even be there. Then you'll start losing your hardcore following and that's when you go out of business, we've seen it all before.

Its basically what happened to 360.  They shifted to pretty much foucing only on casual gaming since Kinect came out.

They been scooping up the last reminants of the casual crowd and their market share has steadily been shifting to PS3.

PS4 with all the facebook and play my game for me its too hard all seems to point to a bad time in gaming, where all that counts is winning even if you were not the person playing, LOL.

Hardcore gamers arent cheaters, those are the casuals who want to seem hardcore.  PS4 seems geared towards that with the whole letting your friends play your games for you and you get the credit fiasco.

Hope they think this through before release.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 42 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
5816 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

Beastingonu247 wrote:

Its basically what happened to 360.  They shifted to pretty much foucing only on casual gaming since Kinect came out.

They been scooping up the last reminants of the casual crowd and their market share has steadily been shifting to PS3.

PS4 with all the facebook and play my game for me its too hard all seems to point to a bad time in gaming, where all that counts is winning even if you were not the person playing, LOL.

Hardcore gamers arent cheaters, those are the casuals who want to seem hardcore.  PS4 seems geared towards that with the whole letting your friends play your games for you and you get the credit fiasco.

Hope they think this through before release.

It`s still not completely clear on how the let your friends play exactly will work, but they did say the point was if you get really stuck at one point, you can ask others for help, and they can take control of your character to help you clear that one tough spot. Either way all the facebook and stuff is still all optional, so it`s really up to the individual if they want to enable it or not. Also, it`s still not cheating, it`s no different then having a friend over and having them beat that part for you.

I also don`t think they are going to focus on one group, doesn`t make much sense for them to do that. Even if people play mobile phone games and others like that, it still does not beat console gaming and the power that it brings.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 42 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Apr 5, 2013

"Hardcore" is really subjective, some say it's PC gamers simply because they get a higher resolution, or console gamers who play hard games to completion with everything collected/all trophies gotten. Whatever it is, Sony is definitely not catering to just one group. They want to maximize their profits. What Sony wants, are gamers, period. This is why in their announcement for the PS4 they showcased how well they work with developers and how they want their system to be a "gaming" system instead of a media hub like the Nextbox wants to be. Sony will have a variety of games to bring in multiple groups of gamers and they will be fine if they deliver on that.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 42 (109 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Apr 5, 2013

Console gaming will be fine for awhile 

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 42 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2195 posts

Apr 5, 2013
I think if Microsoft, made a achievement-scoring system for PC. It would be end of consoles.
Pay your fair share and your taxes and help your employees and pay your employees fair, Corporations. Stop cheating people.
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 42 (92 Views)
0 Likes