Dec 16 2006
By: DARK-STEALTH Gaming Beast 2437 posts

Connecting the PSP to use as a controller for PS3...

2 replies 1240 views Edited Dec 16, 2006
I was wondering how you connect the PSP to use as another controller for the PS3. I made the connection for remote play and that works but I dont know to use it as a controller. So how do you do that?
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 3 (1,240 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
95 posts

Re: Connecting the PSP to use as a controller for PS3...

Dec 16, 2006
You cant use it as a controller (yet). You can control the XMB from the PSP while in remote play, but thats it.

The PSP is also missing buttons that are on the PS3 controller (L2, R2, L3, R3, Right analog stick), so if they ever do let you use it, it will probably only work in select games.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 3 (1,240 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
73 posts

Re: Connecting the PSP to use as a controller for PS3...

Dec 16, 2006
I think this has been answered else where in the forums, but...

The PSP is too limiting to use as a valid controller for PS3 games:
  • Only has 1 Analog Stick (nub)
  • No motion sensing
  • Only 2 trigger/shoulder buttons

The Remote Play title is alittle ambiguous and doesn't actually let you "play" games via the Remote Play connection. It basically lets you control the XMB navigation and allows you to view media (music, videos, photos) on the PSP screen wirelessly from your local area (i.e. house).

I'm hopeful that with the "big March '07 firmware" update when you will be able to connect with the Remote Play from any internet connection (i.e.  WIFI hotspot outside your local WLAN) that the functionality of Remote Play will become more robust. Perhaps we will then be able to use the PSP as a true remote to play games on the PS3, but I'm thinking not due to the hardware (button layout) limitations of the PSP.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 3 (1,240 Views)
0 Likes