Feb 26 2012
By: flerchjj First Son 10 posts

Configuring PS3 for multi-region DVD playback?

5 replies 12124 views Edited Feb 26, 2012

Does anyone know how to configure the PS3 for multi-region DVD playback? I'm an american that lives in Germany and is working in Asia. The whole region locking of media on DVDs and the internet is exhausting. A local shop has cheap multi-region DVD players, but I hate having extra equipment especially when it serves a redundant purpose.

Message 1 of 6 (12,124 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Re: Configuring PS3 for multi-region DVD playback?

Feb 26, 2012

Sorry but that's impossible unless you jailbreak your system. Regions are encoded on the disc themselves and the PS3, seeing this region, locks you from playing it. This goes not only for DVDs but for PS1/PS2 games and also Blu-ray. It's a stupid limitation...

Message 2 of 6 (12,124 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Feb 26, 2012

I know regions are encoded on the disk. I was hoping there was a menu I hadn't found or something to change the dvd playback region or set it to all. Multi-region systems are sold all over the place in Europe and Asia. I just bought a new TV from a local shop that lets you change the reciever decoding type per channel.

I guess I'm stuck having a seperate multi-region player. It kind of defeats the purpose of some of the PS3's features.

Message 3 of 6 (12,124 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
257 posts

Feb 26, 2012

Atleast with your US PSN account you can buy and download or rent movies from the PSN Store.

Photobucket
Playstation Rewards Tester / G.A.P. Member / 3G PS Vita Owner / PS3 Slim Owner
Message 4 of 6 (12,124 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Feb 26, 2012

Tell me about it. It's annoying how the system won't let me play my International version of Final Fantasy X despite it being a legit disc. At least looking into the future the future PS systems seem to be going all region-free (the PS3 games, PSP, Vita). Unlike Nintendo and Microsoft.

Message 5 of 6 (12,124 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28803 posts

Feb 26, 2012

flerchjj wrote:

I know regions are encoded on the disk. I was hoping there was a menu I hadn't found or something to change the dvd playback region or set it to all. Multi-region systems are sold all over the place in Europe and Asia. I just bought a new TV from a local shop that lets you change the reciever decoding type per channel.

I guess I'm stuck having a seperate multi-region player. It kind of defeats the purpose of some of the PS3's features.

Well not for nothing, I don't think they ever said you'd be able to play any movie from anywhere in the world. Games and movies are under different jurisdictions according to governing bodies. If anything blame international copyright law.

Message 6 of 6 (12,124 Views)
0 Likes