Apr 09 2012
By: Victoryismine52 Splicer 69 posts

Confessions of a Convert...

7 replies 230 views Edited Apr 9, 2012

I have and always will consider myself a gamer. I have always loved games and have spent the majority of my life as somewhat of an evangelist for gaming. I got my best friend to purchase an xbox360 with me than later got him to purchase a ps3. I have gotten multiple co-workers and family members to buy gaming systems and invest in gaming. But looking back across my history of gaming I can reflect on a long and diverse road that has finally brought me to a place where as an adult I have settled in my gaming ways. I could not be happier to tell you that this settling has occurred only when I moved to consider myself a PlayStation gamer and part of that stems from an odd feeling of not so much feeling like a consumer but more of a member of the PlayStation family.

I grew up back east and for the most part had a very active childhood. We spent most of our time outdoors riding bikes and playing in the snow. Sure I played Mario and sonic but never really had it as a major section of my life. We moved back west in '94 and with my dad running a computer software company we always seemed to have spare parts around the house. This is when a common hobby for a kid turned into a full blown obsession. My father and I built my first computer shortly after and we started playing doom. I loved playing doom and quake and other shooters but I became obsessed with strategy games. Warcraft and age of empires took up most of my teen life. I discovered my love for Valve with the release of half-life and I also became quite good in the competitive world of quake 3.

At this point in my life I found consoles to be somewhat laughable. I would go over to my friends’ houses and we'd play games but for the most part I found that most of my friends weren't good enough to compete and the console games lacked the finesse that their PC counterparts had, both graphically and in player input (Sony would later prove this assumption of mine to be wrong but we'll get to that).

It wasn't actually until I found myself as a starving college student that I even considered making the jump to consoles. It became too expensive for me to keep a gaming rig up to the specifications that I wanted. Yes I know hard core PC advocates will say that it's actually cheaper if you calculate everything but that wasn't the point. I liked the appeal of buying a game that was specifically designed for my system and the experience that I got was identical to the experience of others playing. No more wondering what it would look like if I had just sprang for the more expensive model GPU or if only I had gotten that other motherboard that would allow me to increase my RAM. I could finally just focus on the games.... and so I did it.... I made the plunge.... and I bought an Xbox.... and I couldn't have been happier.

Now I know what most of you are thinking right now but let’s leave all judgment until the end of our story. It's important to have conflict to have a great story right? Ok so I was a starving college student with an Xbox running halo LAN parties out of his dorm it doesn't get much more cliché than that. I had spent the summer after my freshman year of college working in Northern California up at my cousins’ house where he had a PS2. Though I had played PS1 and PS2 at friends’ houses and LAN parties this would be my first extensive time with a Sony console and it laid the groundwork for what would latter turn into a near obsession with Sony culture.

I had never played a Final Fantasy game but I was well aware of the franchise (having spent most of my teen life reading gaming news). My cousin had FFX and I sat down to play and couldn't stop. It turned into a quest to get to the next cut scene with my sister and younger cousin running in every time I would yell out "cut scene cut scene" the game was beautiful and I loved the tactical aspects of a turn based game. I left that summer knowing that FFX would now hold a spot as one of my favorite games but thought little else of it. Fast forward a year and I'm working in southern California and dating a wonderful girl (now my wife) who has an inherent interest in Kingdom hearts but has never played it. I immediately go out and buy a PS2 with kingdom hearts (and pick up FFX in the process) we play thru kingdom hearts together and later pick up kingdom hearts 2. The PS2 officially became the system I go to for exclusives that friends turn me onto, and I discover SotC (one of my favorite games of all time). Sadly I use the PS2 at this point for little more than a DVD player and to play the few exclusives that really grab me.

At this point in time the next generation of consoles start but as a newly engaged individual planning a wedding I had little time and even less money to devote to gaming so I sadly had to let the release of the 360 and PS3 pass me by. Less than a year after our wedding my lovely wife blesses me with a nicely wrapped package. An Xbox 360 and I kick off this generation in full swing. I go back and play all the titles I've missed (disappointed with most) but then find games like crackdown that I loved. However being a money strapped newlywed I had the cheap console with no hard drive. And being the money hungry company that it is Microsoft wanted $100 for 20gigs. I don't hold it against them but can tell you that it lead me to not buy a hard drive for a bit but continuously leave my system on to avoid losing save files. I subsequently received 2 red rings (a cheaper hard drive might have saved them the expense of fixing them) but even that didn't let me down. I bought a hard drive and started full swing in enjoying Halo 3 and great third party titles like fallout 3.

Then something happened... It wasn't the business model that Microsoft adopted (which I'm not a fan of).... or the continuously breaking hardware (I'm on my 5th Xbox)... or the lack of exclusives.... or even the large amounts of money I was investing in gaming (I had a good steady job at this point and excess bandwidth).... No it was something else.... My brother-in-law had a PS3 and we were very much so Xbox vs. PS3 whenever we visited or talked. But one Christmas I My wife and I went to visit and I brought my Xbox along. It never even got plugged in. You see a game (which had caught my eye) was just released. Little Big Planet! And sitting there playing that game something occurred to me. "You would never see this game on a MS platform" not at least until it was a success somewhere else and they looked for a port. I realized that I didn't see them as a company taking any risks with their IP's unless it was a cash-in on an established IP. I am not hating on Microsoft it's just a different approach. After spending most of my time that Christmas playing Little Big Planet and Uncharted on a beautiful 52" LCD I made up my mind. I had to have a PS3.

At this point I was expecting my PS3 to become an exclusives platform much like my PS2. Oh how wrong I would be. I ended up spending more and more time with my PS3 simply due to the number of exclusives I was purchasing to the point where my Sony exclusives collection dwarfed my entire 360 library, and it wasn't that they were exclusives that I loved it was that they were all such amazing games. I realized quite soon that I didn't like paying for XBL when I wasn't really getting anything out of it except for the ability to play online and the PS3 quickly became my primary console. I fell in love with the simplicity of the XMB and loved how much easier it was to set up my PS3 as a media center opposed to all the tricks and steps I had to go through to set up my 360 to do the same. Before long I had a 1tb external drive plugged into the front of my PS3 with all of my photos, music, and movies. I loved showing of the photo application to family and friends (this is what hooked both my mom and grandmother) and being able to place all of my kids DVD’s into a single folder that even my 3 year old could navigate. Before long I was taking a 2 week trip to Cebu for work and I couldn't bring myself to pull the system out of the entertainment center leaving my wife and 3 kids without their primary access to Netflix and music unlimited. So I did what any logical gamer would do. I bought a second PS3 so that I could take the slim model on trips with me without disrupting my son’s love of ratchet and Clank or my wife’s love of Netflix and music unlimited while cooking.

We are currently living in Cebu for my work (we hope to be going home soon). And I plan on purchasing a 3rd PS3 sometime after returning so that every TV in the house can have the same entertainment setup. I have been a PS+ member since launch and couldn't be happier the amount of content it has opened me up to and the amount I save in return is amazing. Sure I spend a lot more on digital content but the worst thing that will lead me to do is buy a normal 1TB laptop SATA drive off of Newegg so I can buy more. Compare that to MS's proprietary control and I'll tell you who's smarter the guy that doesn't have customers saying "I would love to buy that but I don't have space".

I want to take this time to personally thank Sony for taking an open approach to their console as well as bringing in a continuous flow of HD remastered content from the PS2. As someone who missed a lot of the PS2 content it is really appreciated. I will say this though you need to adopt the approach you took with the sly collection with all PS2 collections. Give the first game in the collection out free to PS+ charging for subsequent games. I had no interest in the sly collection (even though I love sucker punch for their work on Infamous). I downloaded Sly 1 to play with my son and both of us fell in love with it. I platinumed it and immediately bought sly 2 and am currently playing it with my son and will buy sly 3 as soon as we finish. I look forward to the continuing years My family and I have with Sony home consoles and if the current generation is any sign of the future you have won over the support of myself, my wife, and my 3 kids. There is so much more I would love to discuss but for now I will take my leave and get back to work. 

I look forward to the Ratchet & Clank collection as I didn't discover the series tell Crack in time (my first platinum)

Victoryismine52

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Re: Confessions of a Convert...

Apr 9, 2012

Ooops sorry I went over the Charecter limit.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (230 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
1462 posts

Aug 2, 2012

No worries about the character limit; if it ends up making the cut, we can edit it down a bit =) 

- morgan haro, SCEA PlayStation Community Management Team
@morganharo

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (215 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Aug 5, 2012

My friend you  are a true psn gamer to have told us that

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (171 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Aug 6, 2012

i agree with you brother

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (157 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Aug 6, 2012
Good job dood. Never switch because playstation is where its at.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Aug 11, 2012

Thanks Morgan and thanks for selecting my post! Are the codes sent out to our PSN inbox? and will having multiple PS3's mess that up at all? I seem to miss messages some times. You guys should really allow for a send/recieve button or something that will fully update your local messages cause it seems like it only get's sent to whichever is signed in. It get's confusing when your holding conversations and you switch PS3's 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Aug 12, 2012

I saw your post on the current blog and sent a reply waiting to be moderated but look in the upper right of your screen where it says 'Victoryismine52  |  Sign Out  |  My Settings  |  Help'  and to the right of that there should be a little envelope link.  The message you're looking for is in that inbox, not your email or on your PS3.

Victoryismine52 wrote:

Thanks Morgan and thanks for selecting my post! Are the codes sent out to our PSN inbox? and will having multiple PS3's mess that up at all? I seem to miss messages some times. You guys should really allow for a send/recieve button or something that will fully update your local messages cause it seems like it only get's sent to whichever is signed in. It get's confusing when your holding conversations and you switch PS3's 

Editor-in-Chief of RNCRT.com. We're building something new with your help!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (115 Views)
0 Likes