First Son
30 posts

Re: Concerning replacing the ps4 internal harddrive

Sep 5, 2013

"why is it, the ps4 isn't even out yet...yet ppl already want to change things about it?"

So you would rather have 500GB instead of 1 TB? The hdd is interchangable for a reason doofus.

You think 500 GB is enough, with the size of games these days?

Still Smokin'
Message 11 of 23 (300 Views)
Fender Bender
3826 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 14, 2013

I have looked aroud for PS4 HD info and found nothing also. I like to have one ready on day one to install. I dont want to wait and have to transfer huge chunk of data later. My PS3 has a 1Tb drive and is half full 500Gb right now. I put it in a month after joining Playstation Plus in March 2013. A lot of tech review sites are getting and showing off the PS4. It seems a shame none of the think to pull the HD and give more info other then its storage size. If they would format and lock a external HD to ONE PS4 and let us use USB external. I wouldnt worry about swaping out the HD.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 12 of 23 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7108 posts

Sep 14, 2013

Artfuldead wrote:

why is it, the ps4 isn't even out yet...yet ppl already want to change things about it?

Well if you are going to do it you might as well do it right away. Then no worry of loss of data if a transfer is needed.

I thought I read that it is SATA3 so a 2.5" SATA3 HDD should work.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 13 of 23 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Sep 15, 2013

SHANE523 wrote:

Artfuldead wrote:

why is it, the ps4 isn't even out yet...yet ppl already want to change things about it?

Well if you are going to do it you might as well do it right away. Then no worry of loss of data if a transfer is needed.

You wont have ANY loss of data because I am 100% CERTAIN that the PS4 will also have a backup utility...... 

The common sense and logical/critcal thinking is not strong in here it seems.

Yea, you can do it anyway..... But thats beside the point that I was getting at.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 14 of 23 (258 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 15, 2013

Definitely should hold off until the console is in the hands of a tech site, so they can see if they are 5400 or 7200 RPM drives.  Regardless, you want minimum 7200 RPM.  I did a 500GB 7200 RPM Cavier Black in the PS3 and noticed faster load times in a lot of instances.  Especially installs and Home.

In service to each other, we become free...
Message 15 of 23 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

Sep 15, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

Artfuldead wrote:

You wont have ANY loss of data because I am 100% CERTAIN that the PS4 will also have a backup utility...... 

Yea, you can do it anyway..... But thats beside the point that I was getting at.

I think it may be about the time and effort to do such a thing.

I don't have a PS3 so I'll ask you, where does it back up to?

If you have gone digital only and you are looking at games that are 10+ GB each (not sure on exact size of games for PS4), it seems like it would take a bit of time for some people to have to redownload games to a new HDD. I'm sure saves wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, I'm thinking they may be talking about the time to have to redownload games since they are so large and some users have slower download speeds. This may be why some want to get a larger HDD straight away. My 2 cents.

Message 16 of 23 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Sep 15, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

Artfuldead wrote:

It takes 5minues to physicall remove the OEM drive and install a new drive. Maybe 20minutes or so for the console to format the drive. 

Any external device that is formatted in FAT32. Provided you have enough space for the existing data.

If you have gone digital only and you are looking at games that are 10+ GB each (not sure on exact size of games for PS4), it seems like it would take a bit of time for some people to have to redownload games to a new HDD. I'm sure saves wouldn't be an issue.
If your hdd is filled to the brim and you're ready to upgrade, you can delete any games, music, movies, photos that you no longer use to open up some drive space and then perform a backup. Backing up a drive is painless, and hopefully on the PS4, won't take as long. On the PS3, the backup utility backed up EVERYTHING on the PS3's hdd that isn't copy protected. That includes games which can take a while to download from the PSN if you have a slow speed. Once the new hdd is installed and PS3/4 is up and running, you can run the restore utility to put all your data on the fresh new larger hdd. And you won't have to download much of anything. You may/may not lose game saves because some saves are copy protected and can only be backed up to the cloud if you're a Plus subscriber (another reason why its good to have Plus).

Anyway, I'm thinking they may be talking about the time to have to redownload games since they are so large and some users have slower download speeds. This may be why some want to get a larger HDD straight away. My 2 cents.
I answered that in the above response. Hope that helps.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 17 of 23 (240 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1508 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 15, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

UnrealButcher wrote:

It takes 5minues to physicall remove the OEM drive and install a new drive. Maybe 20minutes or so for the console to format the drive. 

Any external device that is formatted in FAT32. Provided you have enough space for the existing data.

If your hdd is filled to the brim and you're ready to upgrade, you can delete any games, music, movies, photos that you no longer use to open up some drive space and then perform a backup. Backing up a drive is painless, and hopefully on the PS4, won't take as long. On the PS3, the backup utility backed up EVERYTHING on the PS3's hdd that isn't copy protected. That includes games which can take a while to download from the PSN if you have a slow speed. Once the new hdd is installed and PS3/4 is up and running, you can run the restore utility to put all your data on the fresh new larger hdd. And you won't have to download much of anything. You may/may not lose game saves because some saves are copy protected and can only be backed up to the cloud if you're a Plus subscriber (another reason why its good to have Plus).

Hey, thanks for the info.

So from what you have said, they need an additional device that they may not have, and if they do they have to worry about having enough space on it. After that you say, "hopefully PS4 won't take as long" (to back up), and that it "includes games which can take a while to download from the PSN if you have a slow speed."

So looking at what you have said, some may have "logical" reasons for themselves. Which I would guess would be not having an external device to back up to in the first place and the time involved in backing up or downloading games again (assuming they don't want to change between HDD's).

Just my take on it. BTW, it does seem like more work then most non-techie people I know would want to do. So I can understand some wanting to change it right away. After all, not all gamers are tech savvy.

Again, thanks for the information. Should help if I ever change mine out. Have a good night.

Message 18 of 23 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7108 posts

Sep 16, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

SHANE523 wrote:

Artfuldead wrote:

I wouldn't doubt that but there is always a risk.

Also think about it this way. IF you do it right away you won't have to back anything up or restore anything saving you time.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 19 of 23 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Sep 16, 2013

Well I was thinking about sometime replacing the HDD with a SSD... then got me wondering, "Does it have TRIM?" Well there goes that idea.

Message 20 of 23 (189 Views)
0 Likes