Oct 20 2012
By: idrow01 First Son 3 posts
Accepted Solution

Complete newbie needs help and info

4 replies 78 views Edited Oct 20, 2012

Hi - I'm looking for a new gaming console, primarily one that allows me to play against others online.  Right now I have a wii and I love the wfc that allows me to play against others worldwide, but the games for it are limited.  With the PS3, will I be able to do that and are there a lot of games with that feature?  I love the racing games that allow me to compete with other users, so that's what I'm looking for.  I see the xbox 360 charges for the online interactive service and I don't want to have pay to use that feature.  Any info would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 5 (78 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11512 posts

Re: Complete newbie needs help and info

Oct 20, 2012

The PlayStation 3 uses a wi-fi connection just as the Wi does. There is also a boatload of racing games on the system, some of which are exclusive. The MotormStorm series, WipEout HD, Gran Turismo 5 and ModNation Racers are some of the known gaming names you'll find on the system.

Message 2 of 5 (75 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 20, 2012

Thanks for the quick response Smiley Happy  I just want to confirm that the racing games you listed above do allow you to compete against others. For example, I bought Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for wii and it did not allow me to do that.  I also want to confirm that there is no charge involved with playing against others.  Thanks again.

Message 3 of 5 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
11512 posts

Oct 20, 2012

The PlayStation 3's online service is absolutely free unless you choose to pay for a membership. PlayStation Plus is a paid-for service that brings users of the program discounts and "free" offers. In October for example, Plus members had a round of freebies such as King of Fighters XIII and Payday: The Heist to download for nothing beyond the membership fee that was already paid. From betas to free avatars all the same, Plus might be an incentive if you want to get more out of your PlayStation Store experience for less.

Racing games on the PlayStation 3 also have cooperative modes. I'm not sure about the Need For Speed series, but others I've been through have featured more than one player able to hop in offline or on. ModNation Racers in particular is a Mario Kart-inspired kart racer that also takes its cues from LittleBigPlanet. This do-it-yourself racer lets you customize your character and race tracks to share them with the online world at large. If you like creative, customizable racers then this might rev your engine.

Message 4 of 5 (66 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Oct 20, 2012

Perfect!  Thanks, Gray, for your input.  I was actually researching ModNation a little earlier and it looks really fun.  I'm quite the Mario Kart junkie, but would love something a little different for variety and this looks like the way to go.  I think I'm going to go with the PS3 based on your info.  Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5 (63 Views)
0 Likes