Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 14 2012
By: cheshire__smile PlayStation Community Manager 243 posts

Community Spotlight 11/24 -- PlayStation Stories

37 replies 2692 views Edited Nov 14, 2012

Hey folks,

As usual, the next Community Spotlight is on Saturday, November 24th. Tell us stories about your experiences with the PlayStation brand (either consoles or games or both :smileyhappy:). So long as the story pertains to PlayStation, you're free to write what you wish!

If you'd like to participate (and maybe win $50 to spend on PSN) go ahead and create a thread in the "PSN Community Meets the PS Blog" area. Write your little heart out, and then reply to THIS thread with a link to your story. (It should be a thread of it's own). 

I'll review entries on Wednesday 11/21. Remember, only one person's story can be chosen and that person will snag the $50 PSN Store credit. 

Take a look at some of the spotlight winners to get an idea of what it takes to make the cut. We don't want it to be too short or too long, but *juuuust* right. 

If you win, you'll receive your codes for PSN credit via private message here on the forums.

-Kristine

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 38 (2,692 Views)
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Re: Community Spotlight 11/24 -- PlayStation Stories

Nov 15, 2012

Should the winner of the 11/17 contest already have gotten a pm with the prize. Also, can a person enter into more than one week's contest.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 38 (2,683 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2012

They dont give it till they announce who won the Community Spotlight on Saturday, November 17th. Threw this website right here  http://blog.us.playstation.com/ . Also, I do think it still takes a week to get to the winner after they announce who won on Saturdays Spotlight, but im not 100% sure

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 38 (2,677 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 17, 2012

Happy 6th birthbay PS3:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PSN-Community-Meets-the-PS-Blog/Happy-6th-Birthday-PS3/td-p/3...

Would have entered for this week (November 17th) but I was too late...

Sic Parvis Magna!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 38 (2,640 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Nov 17, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 38 (2,568 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
630 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 21, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 38 (2,540 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Nov 18, 2012

Playstation - My First Console

The HoliDAZE always seems to set in for me earlier than most. As soon as the cold weather hits, all I can think about is Christmas. And for me, Christmas means video games, but not all my life. While I was a child, my parents wouldn't allow me to have a video game console until I was in high school. 

I was having the best academic success of my young life during my freshman year and it came time for me to give my parents my Christmas list. I decided I was going to put nothing but the Sony Playstation One on my list. For those young teens, you know that if you don't let people know what you want, you are likely going to be disappointed. 

Christmas came and I was ecstatic to find a PSOne under the tree for me! I still have very clear memories of playing through such classics as Driver, Final Fantasy VII, and the start of a love affair with the Sony consoles. I don't blame my parents from keeping me away from video games, because ever since that fateful day, I have been hooked. So hooked in fact that two of my major successes in life can be attributed to gaming. 

While in college, I was studying History and I had to make a decision on a focus. I had a lot of interest in War history, and so I focused on that, but instead of just the dates and names, I focused on the depiction of war in entertainment. I played a variety of war based video games as well as watched several movies on my PS2 for researching my focus. That focus led to my entire senior research project, which my professor originally told me would be a "weak topic". After reading my final report, he gave me an A and told me my project changed his opinion of video games completely. 

After graduation and joining the working world, I decided I wanted to return to doing research, and looked to video games as a starting point. Over the next few months, I began my own video game blog, and began covering news reviews and walkthroughs. Just about every game I covered was on the PS3, and my coverage got me a lot of welcome attention. The pinnacle of that was getting hired as a freelance video game journalist and being able to cover E3 in 2011. 

I feel blessed to be a gamer and to have found this hobby. Gaming is now a part of my life, and something I'm proud to be associated with. And the console collection all started with the PSOne. 

I have been excited and anxiously anticipating every Christmas in hopes to get my hands on the latest Playstation releases. This year it's Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 38 (2,483 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Nov 18, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 38 (2,478 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Christmas Memories, A Gamer Is Born

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2012

It was a cold Christmas day in Jersey City  in 1976, I was 8 years old, and I was about to receive, in a most unexpected way, a Christmas gift that would change my life forever.  After the festivities at my home, I made my way up the block to my friend Paul's house.  He did not have rich parents but he always had the best toys, heck he even had a BB Gun and Star Trek Toys!  I arrived at his home and found myself in the middle of a family melt down with his father screaming "Your not putting that Dam thing on my TV!, What the hell was your uncle thinking getting you this thing for Christmas?"  Paul was crying and his intimidating father, a police officer, was laying down the law!  After cursing, something you never did in that house, Paul was literally dragged into the bathroom by his ear by his mother and forced to eat soap!  Paul's father grabbed the Coleco Telstar Video Game Console and threw it out the front door of the house, gave me a stern look and said, if you want it, take it, I'll be damned if that thing destroys my TV!  I picked up the box and ran with it to my house and that Christmas Day in 1976, a life long gamer was born.    It was a time when homes only had one TV Set in them and families all gathered around it to watch TV.  It was a time before the invention of telephone answering machines, cell phones, internet, or even home computers for that matter.  I looked at the box, are you kidding me, play a game on your TV, this is pure lunacy!  After one hour of arguing with my father to allow me to try it, only try it, not keep it connected to the TV,  and perhaps with the help of  the Christmas Spirit &  Ballentine Beer, finally he agreed to let me try it!  

Gamers today may not be able to understand how revolutionary and foreign an idea it was to use your TV to play a game on.  It was as if aliens had landed in a space ship on your front lawn - it was downright unheard of!  It would be like using your microwave to play a game on! I open the box and got a screw driver and went behind the huge, wooden,  Magnavox TV that sported a radio and record player too ...  I connected the antenna to the RF switch box and the RF switch box to the TV, tuned into channel 3, and turned on the Telstar and everyone gasped, laughed, and shouted.  We played Pong, Tennis, and Handball all night!  

From that day on, Video Games have been a part of my life.  They have helped me pass the time, have fun with friends, and cheer me up when I was down.  Over the years I have owned many systems such as Tank, Atari 2600, Intellivision, 8 Bit Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Game Gear, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, SNES, Turbo Duo, Game Cube, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSI, Nintendo DSI XL, Nintendo Wii, and in my college years, it was the Commodore 64 that most of my gaming was done on!

I had become such a Nintendo fan that for many, many, years I ignored Playstation Gaming Products and looked upon the PS1, PS2, and PSP  as a strange devices that I had no interest in.   But on Christmas Eve of 2010 all that changed.  During the middle of my work day, traveling between stops, in Staten Island, I met a man at a bus stop and he said "mister can you help me out?  I want to get some new shoes for my boys for Christmas", and he pulled out a PSP from his pocket and said "I think this thing costs more than $150.00, I'll take $60.00 for it - it just needs to be charged, but I don't have a charger."  Eeven though the PSP did not turn on when I hit the Power Button,Something touched me deep inside and for a moment I was sent back in time to 1976 and I gave the man $60.00.  On my way home, I stopped off at Game Spot and picked up a charger.  After charging it up and turning it on, I fired up the UMD game that was in the PSP - God of War.  I spent all of Christmas Eve & Christmas Day playing that game - it was like I was 8 years old again.   For the 1st Time, I realized just how good Playstation Video Game Products are.

One day I went into Game Stop to buy  the new NIntendo 3DS because Super Mario 3D was released for it.  But when I looked at the 3DS, I was not happy with it, I was not crazy about the 3D effect and  The screens were too small for me and did not compare to the screen on my PSP, so instead of buying the 3DS, I walked out with the 320 GB PS3 Uncharted 3 Bundle for about the same price as a 3DS - that was completely unexpected, and I am glad I did it!  I have gone on to buy a Vita as well since then too.  In all the years that I have been a gamer, with all the systems I have ever owned, I must say that I play the PSP, PS3, and PS Vita more than any other system I ever owned.    

It was the magic of Christmas that brought me into the world of gaming and that same magic made me take a leap of faith in buying a PSP that would not even turn on when I bought it.   Discovering the would of Playstation Video Gaming has been a blessing to me.  Playing video  games over the years helped me to enjoy life, family, and friends, it has helped through difficult times, such as the passing of my parents and other twists and turns life throws at you.    As I always say "I've been playin video games since the days of Pong, and it looks I'll be playin em till the day I'm gone!"  Long Live Play and a Very Merry Christmas to all

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 38 (2,471 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Nov 18, 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 38 (2,457 Views)
0 Likes