Oct 06 2012
By: BRIT-KO Shinra Executive 36071 posts
Accepted Solution

Cloud saves available indefinitely, really?

14 replies 304 views Edited Oct 6, 2012

Hey everyone,

Earlier this week someone posed the question "if they left Plus would they be able to get their cloud saves back?", my & someone else's response to that was that the cloud save would be available but not indefinitely, mochuuu responded in the same Thread & basically posted the following:

Q: If I leave Plus and come back, will by Online Game Saves still be there as I left them? 

A: Yes. If your Plus membership lapses and you had game save data in the ONline Game Save storage for Plus, it will all be there when you come back to Plus. Of course, this data can be transferred locally to your HDD at anytime as well, but you must have your Plus access to do so. 

I was somewhat surprised by the response, because the way mochuuu has worded his response & also updated the PlayStation Plus FAQ, makes it sound as though it is indeed indefinite, something I thought was untrue & I think I can safely say others were not aware of.

I thought the cloud save option, a feature of Plus that I like very much by the way, would only be available for as long as you were a subscriber, ok maybe some time after too, but not indefinitely as appears to have been indicated, but in light of mochuuu's response that appears to be incorrect.

So for them to tout the cloud feature as a major Plus exclusive, which they have & still do, is in my view wrong, basically it can be yours for a mere $17.99, pay the minimum 3 month subscription, back up all your saves, re-subscribe, don't re-subscribe, the cloud saves will still be yours, if you left plus all you need to do is pay out another $17.99 to get them back, still less than a 1 year subscription most people opt for.

I'm of the view that this is wrong & is not the way the cloud feature should not be working, is anyone else with me or am i being unfair?

Message 1 of 15 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Re: Cloud saves available indefinitely, really?

Oct 6, 2012
I think it's fine. $17 to hold your saves? That's perfect for Sony. People use the Online Storage as a backup in case of issues, or to transfer between consoles. If they are paying to backup saves they have now, they're losing out when something occurs to their system and recent saves weren't backed up. It's a win for Sony.
Message 2 of 15 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
36071 posts

Oct 6, 2012

FidelityNy wrote:
I think it's fine. $17 to hold your saves? That's perfect for Sony. People use the Online Storage as a backup in case of issues, or to transfer between consoles. If they are paying to backup saves they have now, they're losing out when something occurs to their system and recent saves weren't backed up. It's a win for Sony.

I disagree Fidelity, Cloud saves is touted as a major advantage if being a Plus Subscriber, but you don't actually have to remain one to take advantage of it, your cloud saves are always there, whether you remain a subscriber or not, just seems unfair to me.

Message 3 of 15 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Oct 6, 2012

I tell you what KO, you go tell your boys at Sony to give me back my hundreds of hours of save data I lost due to THEIR problem and the YLoD I got because I was loyal and bought a defective launch PS3 just like thousands of others.

You really need to stop riding Sony's **bleep** and see the light. I think anyone who pays $18 to have their games backed up, plus another $18 to get them back at a later date should have every right in the world to do so. Sony would agree with me on this one, because it's profit for them regardless.

That is, until Sony makes it where PS3 HDD's can be transfered without being reformatted. Which is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 4 of 15 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8822 posts

Oct 6, 2012
Although KO, after looking at the Unemployment rate thread, I feel less angry at you.

At least I know there are still intelligent people on the interned who realize what's going on with this country.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Message 5 of 15 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
36071 posts

Oct 6, 2012

When you've decided if you like me or not let me know GuNz lol.

P.S. I don't have any "Sony Boys", & I don't want another 4 years of Obama either.

Intelligent, sometimes Smiley Wink.

Message 6 of 15 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Oct 6, 2012
Now you're talking a subject I love discussing. Nomore Obama, and definetely no Romney, ever.
Message 7 of 15 (270 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 6, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

FidelityNy wrote:

I disagree Fidelity, Cloud saves is touted as a major advantage if being a Plus Subscriber, but you don't actually have to remain one to take advantage of it, your cloud saves are always there, whether you remain a subscriber or not, just seems unfair to me.

I don't understand your concern, since you can't use or access the cloud storage if you don't have an active subscription.

What was said at the beginning of the PS+ program, was that cloud saves might still be there if you let your subscription laps and resubscribe, but it wasn't guaranteed. Now it appears that it is more likely that the saves are retained...

Message 8 of 15 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Oct 6, 2012
Not only can you not access your saves but you can't make backups of recent saves, which is the main reason we have an entire gig of storage space, to backup everything and anything daily.
Message 9 of 15 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
36071 posts

Oct 6, 2012

Okay, thanks to those that responded, point taken lol!

Message 10 of 15 (223 Views)
0 Likes