Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 30 2011
By: bronxsushi Treasure Hunter 5591 posts

Checking and Restoring the File System?

14 replies 14551 views Edited Nov 30, 2011

When my PS3 freezes on some websites. I would turn off my PS3 and turn my PS3 back on, and it would send a report to Sony that would take 3 seconds to send.

After the 4.00 update, now when my PS3 freezes on a website it does "Checking and Restoring the File System". That takes about 5 minutes to do. What does "Checking and restore file system" do? Is there any way to not do it?

PS3 has an outdated browser that will freeze on most websites, now everytime my PS3 freezes it does a pointless "Checking and restore file system" thing. Now I have to wait 5 minutes before I can use my PS3 again after everytime it freezes. And thanks to the outdated browser, my PS3 freezes a lot.

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Re: Checking and Restoring the File System?

Nov 30, 2011

It checks for and repairs errors on the hard drive. You could choose not to do it, but there's a concern that you would accumulate bits and pieces of corrupted data.

I'd just avoid the PS3 web browser altogether until Sony totally revamps it.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3044 posts

Dec 1, 2011

My PS3 froze while I was on PS3YouTube.com. Upon booting up, had the same thing.

Thanks goodness that I'm not the only one with this problem after the firmware. Hopefully it's no big deal...

Bring MAG to PS4!
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Dec 2, 2011

I was on HOME just now and froze and had to reset my system and it prompted me to the checking and restoring file system thing as well... 8P Hope, this isn't gonna happen each and everytime I freeze now... 8/

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Dec 3, 2011

is there a fix on this? im trying to upgrade my firmware version, maybe it will work..

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

Dec 3, 2011

Yeah, given the number of crashes I've had in the browser, without any subsequent issues (I've been using the browser heavily for over three years now on a phat & slim), I was under the impression that Sony had designed things so a crash in the browser did not corrupt the file system.

So the question is, was this the case and if so, does this mean that we can just press the circle button to cancel the disk checking process for browser crashes?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Dec 3, 2011

You could. Worst case, just delete the internet browser cache.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

Dec 3, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

You could. Worst case, just delete the internet browser cache.

No, that's not a good idea because if a browser crash can corrupt the file system, deleting files can make things significantly worse.

I speak from experience on a PC where in the old days, if you had a crash and didn't use "chkdsk" (Check Disk) to fix any errors, you could get some serious corruption...

But, as I mentioned, given that I've had zero issues with pre firmware 4.0 browser crashes, it looks like the PS3 file system works somewhat differently (for the browser at least), so pressing the circle button may be the equivalent of the previous situation.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Dec 3, 2011

I don't see how deleting the browser cache will affect other parts of the file system.

Browser crash wouldn't corrupt the rest of the file system, because only the cache files are being actively written to by the browser. Worst case, the cache data becomes corrupted, but that's no big deal because they're not particularly important. Sony programmed their Restore File System command to always say there are errors on the drive and it is in the process of repairing them whenever the command is run, either automatically upon restart or manually through Safe Mode. For instance, run the Restore File System command twice in a row.

edit: The PS3 uses an encrypted flavour of UFS. It's a much more modern and robust file system than FAT32 from the bad old days of Windows 95. Like Windows 2000 and newer with the much more corruption resistant and efficient NTFS. You could reboot those computers over and over again, and not be greeted with a CHKDSK/Scandisk prompt as often as Windows 95 did.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
211 posts

Dec 3, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

I don't see how deleting the browser cache will affect other parts of the file system.

Browser crash wouldn't corrupt the file system, because only the cache files are being actively written to by the browser. Sony programmed their Restore File System command to always say there are errors on the drive and it is in the process of repairing them whenever the command is run, either automatically upon restart or manually through Safe Mode. For instance, run the Restore File System command twice in a row.

The only people who can answer this question are the Sony engineers who designed the system (I just know on a PC, that if you attempt to delete files on a file system that is corrupted you are asking for trouble). Edit - I take note of your comment on the PS3's file system.

It would be "really" helpful if a moderator could contact Sony on our behalves to find out whether it is safe to press the circle button to cancel the disk check process for browser crashes. If they could also provide some background information on why browser crashes did not previously appear to cause corruption, that would be a bonus.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (14,551 Views)
0 Likes