Feb 15 2013
By: CharityElizabeth Splicer 55 posts

Cheapest 3G Data Plan?

6 replies 198 views Edited Feb 15, 2013

Does anyone know what the cheapest data plan out on the market for the PS Vita 3G?!  The cheapest I found is 9gb data plan from Eternal Comms for around $20!  That's for the Unlocked PS Vita 3G version which is why I'm getting mine unlocked!  :womanwink:

"This place may be a virtual world but my feelings are very real." - Lightning Flash Asuna, Sword Art Online

SAO3.jpg

Message 1 of 7 (198 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9153 posts

Re: Cheapest 3G Data Plan?

Feb 15, 2013

I've never heard of the company, and both a google and yahoo search turn up empty (other than some seemingly unrelated and/or dead sites).

That much data at that price seems to be too good to be true.  I'd research the company a little more before jumping into anything.

Message 2 of 7 (189 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11212 posts

Feb 16, 2013

Never heard of them either. Honestly didn't know you could unlock the Vita's 3G plan. But I don't use the 3G on my Vita. If I was working, I might use it.

Message 3 of 7 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

3G on the Vita would've been much better if it came out in 2010, before Tethering became popular.   Almost everyone nowadays has either a smartphone or internet, so sadly, unless the 3G was able to run multiplayer games effectively, it's almost pointless other than saving your battery from having to be tethered.

There is another restriction on 3G, when you are downloading, there is a 20MB cap, meaning you MUST use Wifi on anything greater, this includes patches.    In a way, I am glad, so you don't ramp up your DataConnect Pass bill by trying to download Final Fantasy VII, Uncharted Golden Abyss, etc, but they should've gone unlimited at a flat rate instead of ripping people off with 250MB for $10-$15.

The real problem with 3G, how often are you going to use it?    It's great for messaging, trophies, or checking email, and maybe light internet browsing or Facebook, however in 2013(Even in 2012), Tethering 4G is way too easy.   There are ZERO apps that make 3G a must by, although you can Skype and youtube off 3G, those might be handy on the job or on a bus if you can get a signal and a phone can't.    If you have an unlocked AT&T Sim card, you CAN receive text messages.

When I go to Green Bay again in the summer, I will subscribe for a month, because where I am staying I get a terrible connection, but until then it's not worth it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Please Subscribe to my Youtube page!
https://www.youtube.com/user/HollywoodShono?feature=mhee
Message 4 of 7 (167 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

Weird I was also not aware they sold unlocked Vita's. Most people which if you search on google have found that other providers other than AT&T will work with the Vita but someone said only the EU and HK Vita's can only use other carriers but carriers provided in that area only.. They say the Japanese and U.S. PS Vita's cannot be unlocked.

Then there is this guy which I will quote-

"You'd need a iSmartSim, it's a device available on eBay which can be had for $4.95. Most sellers that stock it are from Hong Kong, but those sellers are friendly and nice to deal with. Add me on PSN: MuzzaHukka, and I'll send you the link as soon as possible."

Maybe you can talk to that guy on PSN, he claims it works using this so called iSmartSim to unlock it.

I would be weary though buying an unlocked Vita, who knows if it even is. Another thing you could try is I know I have read more about others using certain carriers that work with it even when it isn't unlocked so you should look around on goolge for that info.

Message 5 of 7 (163 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

Not trying to double post but that other message was pretty long.

I feel if you are new to all this it's important to know the 3G on the Vita doesn't do much. You can't play every single game over 3G online and the 3G for the most part from what I have heard is quite useless on the PS Vita unless you use the browser away from home or that kind of simple media stuff. Just keep that in mind though if you planned on buying it thinkin you could play games over 3G barely any games support using online over 3G connection. It is just too slow and if you have a data cap it will be even worse.

Sorry, I didn't buy the 3G version, other than information I have come across I personally can't even tell how to do this exactly. I just hope it works out for you cause it will suck spending money on a 3G Vita when you can't even find a carrier for it.

Good luck though.

Message 6 of 7 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Feb 17, 2013
Don't get a 3G Vita until Sony gets off there behinds and make the Vita work with 3G again. Since 2.00 3G only works 2% of the time. I like Sony and the Vita but I cannot recommend a product that is neglected by it's manufacturer in the software department.
Message 7 of 7 (127 Views)
0 Likes