Nov 15 2012
By: Yahriel_Heffez First Son 2 posts

Change the PSN ID and geolocation

1 replies 316 views Edited Nov 15, 2012

Hey guys, I have 2 questions.

1st of all why is it impossible to change the geolocation of your account? In my case I bought my ps3 and created my account about 3 years ago back when I lived in Canada but since then I moved to the US and it kind of bugs me how I can't change my location because what if I moved to the UK then I wouldn't be able to access the UK store?

2nd question is well I've seen a lot of other messages asking if it's possible to change the PSN ID and I understand that it's for some reason impossible but what I don't get is why is it impossible to change it? Is it some sort of issue with the server? Microsoft doesn't have that problem why does Sony have that? because I would be really interested in changing my username as it's simply my

[First name]_[Last Name] (talk about originality)

Message 1 of 2 (316 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40614 posts

Re: Change the PSN ID and geolocation

Nov 15, 2012

Yahriel_Heffez wrote:

Hey guys, I have 2 questions.

1st of all why is it impossible to change the geolocation of your account? In my case I bought my ps3 and created my account about 3 years ago back when I lived in Canada but since then I moved to the US and it kind of bugs me how I can't change my location because what if I moved to the UK then I wouldn't be able to access the UK store?

A relatively large number of people have requested this, mostly those that have moved country, although as frustrating as it can be not to be able to do this the number of people who have PS3's who then move from one country to another is likely relatively small, so whilst i feel the "pain" for those that are unable to do this it's probably not something that will become available soon.

You could move to the UK but to access the UK/EU PSN Store you would have to create a new PSN ID/Account.

2nd question is well I've seen a lot of other messages asking if it's possible to change the PSN ID and I understand that it's for some reason impossible but what I don't get is why is it impossible to change it? Is it some sort of issue with the server? Microsoft doesn't have that problem why does Sony have that? because I would be really interested in changing my username as it's simply my

[First name]_[Last Name] (talk about originality)

This, along with XGC is the most widely requested thing from PS3 owners, I have no real strong feelings on this issue either way, I used to give an answer along the lines of "well why didn't you choose a better name/ID in the first place", it warns you twice before clicking yes to accept the new name, it also warns you that you CANNOT change a PSN ID once it is created, but  despite all this sill people come here & complain, these comments used to be my response to all the "why can't I change my PSN ID posts.

Now I have "mellowed" albeit slighlty to those requests, so yea, I'd like to see Sony maybe one day offer the opportunity to change our PSN ID's, even for a fee of say $5.00 & make it a once every 12 month thing, is it something I want no, but if it makes others happy & stops all the posts on these Forums I'm all for it!

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 2 (307 Views)
0 Likes