Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 26 2012
By: handsdown9 First Son 3 posts

Certain character combinations blocked in PSN ID creation.

[ Edited ]
5 replies 3601 views Edited Nov 26, 2012

Hello, as it happens, I'm having to post this from my brother's account because for the past several days I have not been able create a PSN ID. I literally spent hours experimenting with various IDs before I could finally find one that didn't appear to already be taken (I have a great distaste towards adding numbers/underscores to names). Just to my luck, a three-letter combination in my ID of choice "eta" are blocked by PSN no matter how I use it. I already sent an e-mail to support and this is what I got:

Spoiler
 Customer By Web Form (*****)11/22/2012 11:36 PM
Hello, I've been trying to create the Online ID "Metagold" for my PSN account but keep receiving the following message when I try to register it through the website:

"The Online ID must contain alphanumeric characters, can include underscores or dashes and must be between 3 and 16 characters in length. The first character must be a letter of the alphabet."

...despite meeting all of those criteria. And when I try to register through my PlayStation 3 it tells me that the ID is already in use. However no matter what combination of characters I use with this user name, I get these same responses. It seems to be related to including the letters "eta". Any name that I try with these numbers is blocked. Why is that? Could you possibly assign the ID to my account manually? Again, my desired user ID is "Metagold". Thanks.
 Response Via Email (*****)11/25/2012 04:58 PM
Hello *****,

Thank you for contacting PlayStation® Technical Support. My name is ***** and I can definitely assist you with creating a new account. I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused.

If it is not allowing that Online ID, then it is either taken or does not meet the requirements. When creating a Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) account, you must use a unique Online ID; you may not use an Online ID that has already been created. Online ID's may only be used with the original account in which it was created (tied to). If you would like to continue trying to use Metagold, I would recommend adding additional characters such as numbers, hyphens (-), and underscores(_).

Unfortunately we cannot manually assign a name to you. If it does not work on the system, then you need to continue adjusting it until it is accepted.

Thank you so much *****, for not only your time and patience in this matter, but for also giving me the opportunity to assist you today.

So basically I was told to do what I already clearly stated that I had tried. Although I have no intention of using an ID with numbers added to it, I have tried it just to confirm that it was being blocked, not taken. No combination of numbers works with this username, or with anything with the letters "eta" for that matter. This is very frustrating and I'm disappointed with how the customer service overlooked my issue and approached me as if I were some kind of idiot. I did research my problem before contacting them, and I found someone who had a similar problem on another forum. Support was able to manually apply his ID to his account (that's why I requested it in the first place) , although it was UK customer support but I don't know why  NA support is less versatile.

So yeah I guess if I were to summarize this in the form of questions for the sake of forum discussion...

Why is the character combination "eta" blocked? Is this a bug in the system?

What's up with customer service being unable to properly read my e-mail and mistaking my problem for something else?

Are they really unable to manually apply the ID to my account? I have a hard time believing that all things considered.

~Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (3,601 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29040 posts

Re: Certain character combinations blocked in PSN ID creation.

Nov 26, 2012

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Unfortunately you'll probably never receive a definitive answer to this, sometimes PSN ID's are not accepted for various reasons, although right now it does not appear obvious, at least to me why the one you want should not be allowed Sony or it's system obviously does not "like" the one you wish to have.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (3,578 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Looks like I'm just SOL... it was worth a try. Thanks for your reply BRIT-KO.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (3,555 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 28, 2012

So I switched it around and tried afterchyrsos... apparently the word "after" is blocked too. Seriously... what the hell? Why are random words/letter combinations blocked?

Metagold is blocked because of "eta". Some examples with my issue.... even Metagold12936 doesn't work... Meta829108 won't work, eta748219410 won't work... it doesn't matter what numbers I use as long as the letters "eta" are present I can't create the ID. Now it's doing the same thing with "after". Afterchrysos791, no good. After71890421, nope. If I remove the "A" however, "fterchrysos" works just fine. It seems PSN wants to block anything that I want to use.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (3,537 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4543 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

It's not "eta" that's blocked.  This forum allows you to search users, and there are plenty of "eta"-containing names:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/user?q=eta

Unfortunately that does not answer why Metagold doesn't work (it is not taken), but maybe it will help you find another name to try.  Maybe it's something with your email that's a problem?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (3,513 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

Ended up settling... I tried making a new account with a different e-mail and no luck. I even tried it with a Japanese PSN account and it still gave me the same problems. Maybe it wasn't blocked before... but it sure seems to be now.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (3,500 Views)
0 Likes