Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Re: Capable To Play PS4 Games w/o Using Discs

[ Edited ]
Apr 1, 2014

Fletcherrenn08 wrote:
Some people don't have high powered super internet connections

EXACTLY! I have internet through AT&T U-Verse (I have the Max plan with downstream up to 12mbps) and the speeds aren't very fast during peak hours. Sometimes, downloading games from PS Store takes forever depending on how big the game is. Not too long ago, I bought a PS2 Classic that was 3.6 GB in size and it took over an hour for the whole thing to download during the afternoon. I can't afford Xfinity because they charge nearly twice as much than U-Verse.

“To the strongest!”

I shall return soon...
Message 21 of 37 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

Apr 1, 2014

Fletcherrenn08 wrote:

How about the discs are rewritable?, you could move the game from the disc to your ps4, which takes it off the disc, so it  transfers the info then deletes from disc, then if you want it back on the disc you can transfer it back, that way people can't  share the disc around, but that would require a whole new remake of the system probably.

Sony will have to replace all BD player into a BD read/write. Please don't whine when

1. the price of a PS4 increase for no good reason

2. data corruption happens during read/write. No, Sony will not refund your money.

Reduce prices for digital edition of games permanently if it is older than 2 years.
Message 22 of 37 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Re: Sony Can this be done..

Apr 1, 2014

You clearly arn't thinking. If this is how it would be you could buy the game install it and then give it away but still able to play the game without the disc. So they would sell less games cause people would just get it for free from someone. Little kid use your head.

Message 23 of 37 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Apr 1, 2014
@Crazy_aKz

Allowing the consumer (you and I) to install the game and not need the disk would benefit the consumer but in no way would it benefit Sony/game developers. There are a number of reasons but we will go over the most important. Money.

If consumers could install a game and throw away the disk, very few copies of any game would be sold, again, that would benefit the consumer because you could just share the disk with anyone and they would all get it free. But devs want your money. You can call them "greedy" but think logically, if devs didn't make money, they would go bankrupt. If that happens, no games would be created!

So just realize it's impossible, not because of greed, but because the industry needs money to cover the costs and be able to help fund more games.
Message 24 of 37 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Apr 1, 2014

Skruffpunk wrote:

If you have to install the entire game from the disc to the HDD, it only makes sense that you can play it straight off the HDD without needing to put in the game disc. Some of my PS3 games are like that, but I still have to put in the disc to play them, which is  ridiculous.

Like I stated earlier, this would only be feasible if when you installed that game to your HD the game would be unreadable and unusuable at that point (which is DRM). So if you want to be able to purchase a disc-based game, install it to your HD, and never insert the disc into your console again then you should be for DRM on consoles. If you're not for this, then you cannot say that it is ridiculous that you must insert your disc after you install the game.

Message 25 of 37 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Apr 1, 2014

OP wants to be able to buy used disc games, install them on their HDD, and play them without the disc, as stated on the first page.  This is never going to happen, because the required DRM to do so would negate the used game market inthe first place.  Paradox.

In other words, if you want there to be a used game market, and also want discless gameplay, you're just going to have to buy digital games. Period.  I wish there were a reliable way to achieve this goal that was financially viable, and didn't make criminals out of consumers, but, there really isn't. Sorry.  You cannot have it both ways.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 26 of 37 (76 Views)
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Apr 1, 2014

This will never happen. People would just start renting games and putting them on their hard drives. If it happened, Sony would be promoting piracy on their console, which would probably lose quite a few developers in the process. This would never work, and it will never happen.

Message 27 of 37 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
354 posts

Apr 1, 2014

I get it, I wish I could play my disc based games remotely also.  BUT without DMR or some type of licensing it can't happen. Otherwise you would have people downloading the game and then sell it.

Example:

They could start selling licenses that you can enter on installation that is tied to that one game disc.  Once installed that one disc could not be used on any other system. If you want to sell that one disc you could have an option to release the license which would make the installed game unplayable. Soooo, if the license is active then you can’t sell or give the disc to someone else, but if you release the license you can sell the disc but now you cannot play your installed game again. BUT this would require some sort of online check each time the game it launched.

Message 28 of 37 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12008 posts

Apr 1, 2014
The library serves as a way go require items you may have removed off of the hard drive..

Unfortunately for any games you purchased from retail, you will have to use the disc as it serves as proof that you still own the game.. If they were to allow you to play the games without the disc what's stopping you from buying a game installing it on the ps4 then returning the game?

But good new all games will be sold digitally so you don't need to buy the games on disc if you don't want to..
>

Message 29 of 37 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12008 posts

Apr 1, 2014
But your idea won't work and developers won't support such an idea as the disc would be the only means to verify that you still own the game..devs were not exactly happy at first when Microsoft decided to let people fully install 360 games to the hard drive, but was ultimately ok when you still needed the disc in the drive to start the game as it prevented people from buying the game installing it then returning it..
It was either require the disc in the drive or no longer allow people to sell the games as used....
>

Message 30 of 37 (40 Views)
0 Likes