Last Guardian
12361 posts

Re: Capable To Play PS4 Games w/o Using Discs

Apr 1, 2014
That wouldn't work either,, besides if something were to happen during the process of rewriting the data back to the disc the disc would be rendered useless..
Besides it still wouldn't stop you from trying to trade the disc in.. Because stores wouldn't have the ability to verify the data is still on the disc
>

Message 31 of 37 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12361 posts

Re: Sony Can this be done..

Apr 1, 2014
It's not ridiculous... They need proof that you still legally own the game.. The only way they would permit this is if they made it no longer possible to sell or buy used games.. Meaning you buy it you keep it forever.
This is something Microsoft attempted to do with the xboxone.. But failed when customers realized the cost of having this ability.. If you want to be able to do this then you will need to sacrifice the ability to sell the game when your done with it..
And the majority of customers don't want to give up that right as it was made clear at e3 when Microsoft fully revealed their plans for the xboxone..

>

Message 32 of 37 (103 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
911 posts

Apr 1, 2014

The only way to make it work is have a license tied to the game (DRM) with an option to relenquish the license so you can either sell or let someone borrow the game. That's kind of what Microsoft wanted to do but everyone hated and they 180* that decision.

I could imagine the "Help my freind borrowed my Call of Duty and now won't relenquish the code" threads.

Either way, for this generation if you want to remote play your library then you are going to have to buy digital or just make sure you leave the game you plan to play in your PS4. They have to know you still have the game and didn't let a freind have it or sold it to GameStop.

Message 33 of 37 (100 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
911 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 1, 2014

Another option would be to have a digital version sellable in a one time use disc.

As in a full Retail copy and another install disc copy, you install the game, enter a code in the store to unlock the game for your account, now the disc and code are usless.

This option would be for those that don't have great internet or they have internet caps and won't have to download 25-30GB files.

(Again, very similar to what Microsoft wanted to do with the XBO)

Message 34 of 37 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2811 posts

Apr 1, 2014
Or as the disc installs to system its slowly being crushed into a wee tray under the console, then you can't sell your disk after, these versions should be 70% cheaper to buy and be called disposable video game disk
Message 35 of 37 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

Apr 1, 2014
Sony could just lock the install to a single console, simar to how Nintendo locks external hard drives to a single Wii U.
Message 36 of 37 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

Apr 1, 2014
What Microsoft wanted to do is use DRM to link the disc to your installed game. It's the only way to prove you own the game without having the disc in your console.
Message 37 of 37 (80 Views)
0 Likes