Apr 29 2010
By: valenciaUSC Monster Hunter 35 posts

Cannot view videos using Remote Play

6 replies 12 views Edited Apr 29, 2010

I was wondering if anyone else encountered this.  I was using my PSP the other night and connected with my PS3 using Remote Play.  I wanted to view some videos that I had downloaded on the PS3, but all I got was empty folders for the videos.  If you look at the video folder, it says that there are X videos in the folder, but once you enter the folder it is empty (they are there if I view them directly on my PS3).  Am I doing something wrong and have others encountered this issue? 

I do have home videos that I copied onto my PS3 that I have no problem watching them on my PS3 via Remote Play.  It is only the downloaded videos through PSN that I cannot view.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Re: Cannot view videos using Remote Play

Apr 29, 2010

I'm going to assume you downloaded an HD video from the PSNetwork.  HD videos are not available for remote play from the PS3, but SD videos are...I believe

Message 2 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Apr 29, 2010

^ Ouch, thats lame. 

Message 3 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Apr 29, 2010

Hmmm, HD video.  Well, if that were the case, then I wouldn't been able to view the movies that I created that are in HD, and I can view them via Remote Play.  It appears that anything that I downloaded from PSN (either HD or SD) cannot be viewed via Remote Play.

Message 4 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Apr 30, 2010
I believe some videos will not work on the PSP via Remote Play.
Message 5 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Apr 30, 2010

HD PSN videos are not viewable on the PSP, and I believe DRM protected content cannot be viewed via remote play (so you are doubly screwed with PSN HD videos). However, PSN SD content can be copied to your PSP and played (on up to 3 activated PSP systems).

Non-DRM protected HD videos will work fine via remote play (that's why your personal stuff works).

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 6 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
4 posts

May 23, 2011

Don't know about videos from ps store, they are probably copyright protected and cannot be streamed. currently having troubles myself with remote play abroad (works ok at home via int. or priv. net.) working on port forwarding and disabling router firewalls, but all that aside around my house on my network I use a program called "play on" (google it, if interested) for PC, which enables PC to act as a media server for ps3, which in turn can stream to psp via remote play. It gives you access to network tv shows, your netflix account, hulu account, comedy central, , etc.... . Seemed like a good deal for me for travelling if I can ever get RP to work outside the house. Program is something like $40 annually or $80 for lifetime, I got it on promotion for $60. and like I said works great at home and will stream netflix to you if you have an account, lets you see top 50 instant queue, new arrivals, genres. hulu has tons of available media, they also have a plus membership, looking into that if I am successful w/RP. I dunno I like it really expands the video capabilities of the psp. Haven't really had any lag problems so far, running cable wi-fi modem, ethernetted to ps3 and PC. Hope this is helpful for some.

Message 7 of 7 (12 Views)
0 Likes