Feb 13 2013
By: FlyingBurrito76 Lombax Warrior 126 posts

Can no longer "add to cart" for free PLUS content?

9 replies 2603 views Edited Feb 13, 2013

As a PLUS member since day one, I've always liked the option to browse the store, add all of the free weekly PLUS content to my cart, "purchase" everything (along with any other paid content that I may be purchasing that week) and then select what to download.

It appears that recently Sony has adjusted the store on the PS3 to no longer allow free PLUS content to be added to cart.

Now it seems that free PLUS content can only be downloaded directly, immediately.

I don't like the idea of having to automatically start up a huge 17 Gig download and then interrupt/cancel it to go back to browsing content for various reasons (aside from the sheer inconvenience of having to start/stop all of that stuff - whatever data allocation process the PS3 makes on the HDD may lead to corruption/fragmentation if done on a weekly basis - and that's just theorhetical, but a reasonable thought IMO).

I don't have a problem booting up the PSN store on my PC and doing all of the purchasing there to add the content to my download list, but are any other PLUS users frustrated by this new format?

I'd like SONY to take our opinion into consideration and please return the option to add free PLUS content to the cart without forcing an automatic download on each game.

If you look at the minor fiasco from last night where many items showed up as "FREE" incorrectly, if there was an "add to cart" option instead of automatic download many many users wouldn't have been charged for things that weren't really free IF the cash values were reviewed on the check-out screen.

So, who shares my thoughts here? Anybody? What can we do to get SONY to consider reverting back to the old system?

Message 1 of 10 (2,603 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Re: Can no longer "add to cart" for free PLUS content?

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2013

I've had to  use Sony's PC PSN Webstore version instead of the horrible PS3 PSN Store version.

I can add most free items to the cart aside from demos which have to be purchased freely one by one.
I really despise the PS3 PSN Store with the latest tweaks they've been slipping in.

Message 2 of 10 (2,540 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
126 posts

Feb 14, 2013
Yeah, in further research I've noticed that it's practically ALL free content, not just PLUS can no longer be added to cart.

I think that this was in response to all of the people who have complained that free content shouldn't require three or more "clicks" to download, but frankly I think all of those people had it wrong.

Having to start up and then CANCEL a download to add something to your purchase/download list is a FAR greater inconvenience than having to click a few times to get things downloaded.

I'm going to do all my PLUS shopping on the PC version of the store from now on until they rectify this (if they ever do).
Message 3 of 10 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 15, 2013

Is this working as intended? If so, that's awful, sometime you can't download stuff immediately but still want your ps+ game.

Message 4 of 10 (2,503 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
605 posts

Feb 15, 2013
I loved the add to cart feature.
I just took everything plus had to offer and would only download what i wanted to.
Message 5 of 10 (2,492 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1250 posts

Feb 15, 2013

Same here; started using the web based store so I could put everything in my cart, even the free stuff, and once I am finished, purchase all the content, and download later on my PS3 (or Vita).

Message 6 of 10 (2,486 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
126 posts

Feb 15, 2013

@Cannon Fodder, it's working as intended.

Sony apparently has eliminated the ability to add free content to the cart.

I would have to believe that this is some kind of response to users who have complained that you have to make "too many clicks" to download free content.

Personally I'd like to see the feature returned.

Message 7 of 10 (2,467 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Feb 19, 2013

There is no point on the feature returning. The "add to cart" system has been glitchy lately. Anyways when you download a free content it goes on your "Downloads" list even if you didn't add it to your cart. Please mark this as the answer so no one gets confused Smiley Happy. Thanks!

Message 8 of 10 (2,369 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
126 posts

Feb 19, 2013

@ FriedAss

There is a point.

I check the store for new downloads every Tuesday,

I don't want to have to start/stop every free download every week. I want to add them all to my cart and CHOOSE which ones that I want to download and which ones that I want to just be on my download list.

I don't have a full understanding of how the PS3 allocates file space on the HDD, and there is a possibility that all of that all of that starting/stopping may cause some damage or at least unnecessary mileage on the HDD.

So, for now, I'll be doing all of my Playstation Network transactions on the web store and all my downloading from my PS3's download list.

Not a huge deal, but annoying that it has to resort to that.

Message 9 of 10 (2,354 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Feb 20, 2013

FlyingBurrito76 wrote:

@ FriedAss

There is a point.

I check the store for new downloads every Tuesday,

I don't want to have to start/stop every free download every week. I want to add them all to my cart and CHOOSE which ones that I want to download and which ones that I want to just be on my download list.

I don't have a full understanding of how the PS3 allocates file space on the HDD, and there is a possibility that all of that all of that starting/stopping may cause some damage or at least unnecessary mileage on the HDD.

So, for now, I'll be doing all of my Playstation Network transactions on the web store and all my downloading from my PS3's download list.

Not a huge deal, but annoying that it has to resort to that.

True that but it is the same thing as adding to cart and buying it. Also if you cancel a download everything that has been downloaded will go away. So your HDD will not be affected, I believe. But yeah reading your reply really does kind-of change my mind. 

Message 10 of 10 (2,341 Views)
0 Likes