Oct 08 2010
By: Vortex3D Sackboy 487 posts

Can multi PSN accounts on the same PS3 access PS+ "free" games?

8 replies 7432 views Edited Oct 8, 2010

I have multiple PSN accounts on my PS3 because I like to play games with different accounts. With games I bought from PSN Store, all the PSN accounts on my PS3 can access them.

If I subscribe to PS+ on one PSN account and download any of the PS+ "free" or discounted games, do other PSN accounts on my PS3 console have access to those PS+ games?

Message 1 of 9 (7,432 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41822 posts

Re: Can multi PSN accounts on the same PS3 access PS+ "free" games?

Oct 8, 2010
No, PS Plus is associated with one account only.
CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 9 (7,432 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Oct 8, 2010

BRIT-KO wrote:
No, PS Plus is associated with one account only.

I know PS+ is associated with one account only. But once the games from PSN Store is installed on the hard drive, every PSN account on the PS3 can see them. Are you saying downloaded games are locked to the account that has PS+ and prevents other PSN accounts on the same PS3 console from playing them?

For myself and anyone that play games with multiple PSN accounts, PS+ is quite restrictive for us. Also the reason I don't like some of the newer games that use a voucher to activate online multiplayer. Those games are licensed for one PSN account (even it's never clearly defined on the game box or manual) and not for those who play online games with multiple PSN accounts even there's only one gamer who plays them.

It does seem almost every product today that has "online" capability is locking the downloaded products to the user's account. Loose or change the account, the user has to buy everything all over again.

Message 3 of 9 (7,432 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Oct 8, 2010

I have my main account is my Plus account. My kids have their own sub accounts on the same ps3 so they can get their own trophies, theme etc.  the only thing they cannot play is the trials. Any of the other stuff they can play without issue.

Message 4 of 9 (7,432 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Oct 8, 2010

Whatever games and Dynamic Themes you download off of PS+ can be played or used on your other accounts (my fiance usually plays the Mini's under her own non-Plus account). You can not however use the Avatars on other accounts, which makes no sense but no big deal.

Message 5 of 9 (7,432 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Oct 9, 2010

phonline wrote:

I have my main account is my Plus account. My kids have their own sub accounts on the same ps3 so they can get their own trophies, theme etc.  the only thing they cannot play is the trials. Any of the other stuff they can play without issue.

Sounds like subaccounts are the way to access PS+ "free" games? Isn't subaccount limited to lower age group? I have never created subaccounts, only primary accounts for my multi accounts gaming.

Message 6 of 9 (7,432 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
230 posts

Oct 9, 2010

I think everyone can access hte download content, except avatars, which is stupid. You can share $19.99 game, but not a $.49 avatar

That was a word from the Tacoman
Message 7 of 9 (7,432 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Oct 9, 2010

I appreciate everyone that tried to answer my question but from different responses, no one has said if the PS+ "free" games can be "shared" with other free PSN accounts. Anyone that does have one PS+ with multiple free PSN accounts (primary or sub), can you confirm if you can play PS+ "free" games on the free PSN account? And trophies for the PS+ "free" games still unlock on the free PSN accounts.

Out of all PS+ features, able to "share" the PS+ "free" games is the most important before I consider to subscribe to PS+.

Message 8 of 9 (7,432 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11370 posts

Oct 9, 2010

Vortex3D wrote:

I appreciate everyone that tried to answer my question but from different responses, no one has said if the PS+ "free" games can be "shared" with other free PSN accounts. Anyone that does have one PS+ with multiple free PSN accounts (primary or sub), can you confirm if you can play PS+ "free" games on the free PSN account? And trophies for the PS+ "free" games still unlock on the free PSN accounts.

Out of all PS+ features, able to "share" the PS+ "free" games is the most important before I consider to subscribe to PS+.

As long as it's on the same PS3, all accounts with access to that PS3 (even users without a PSN account) can use the content the Plus account downloads.  It is downloaded to the PS3, not to the specific account which "purchased" it.

If "Sam" is a PS+ member and downloads Zen Pinball, "Max" (being a non-Plus member) can play on Sam's PS3, but won't be able to download it on his own.  However, if Sam signs onto Max's PS3 and activates it, he can download the game on Max's PS3 for Max to be able to play it on his own PS3.  Sam's account would need to remain active on Max's PS3, however, meaning that Sam would have two active PS3s associated with his account.

Under ideal circumstances, only one PS+ subscription should be sufficient for an entire household.  However, if there are 6 or more PS3s in a household, a second PS+ subscription would be required for the 6th PS3 onward.  Having 5 PS3s associated with your account applies to PS+ content, as well.

Message 9 of 9 (7,432 Views)
0 Likes