May 28 2012
By: DrkrZen Lombax Warrior 127 posts

Can connect to PSN, but no online games work

6 replies 1608 views Edited May 28, 2012

Anyone ever have this problem?

For 6 years, I've had a set up with a Belkin Wireless G Router and an AT&T DSL Speed Stream Modem... wired PS3 connection and wireless Wii, Laptop, DS - things worked great no matter what was connected and when. Not gonna say I never had any disconnections, but they were maybe once every few weeks, if that, now with this new 2WIRE AT&T U-verse modem/router, I get disconnects every 2 hours, give or take.

That said, that's an improvement over what I was dealing with the day before yesterday when I finally got internet connection settings, for my PS3, that actually got me connected to the PSN for those ~2 hours at a time.

Anyway, I tested some online games like Mass Effect 3, White Knight Chronicles II, LittleBigPlanet 2 and a downloadable game, as well, The Simpsons arcade game... whenever I attempted to sign into multiplayer, it would either say can't connect to EA servers (ME3), Geonet (WKCII), and in LBP2's case, couldn't download the latest update, and promptly sign me out of the PSN. At which point I signed back in right away.

Like I said, outside of disconnecting on its own every 2 hours or so, the PSN connects just fine, I can sync trophies and can even send messages... but online games are a no go and I'm a little urked that when I go into text chat with friends, which is a frequent thing, I'm signed out every 2 minutes RIGHT on the dot.

Not looking for a definitive solution, of course, (though I wish that were the case), but anyone have any sort of insight as to what could be the problem?

One additional note, when I used the default gateway address under the modem's settings, I played The Simpsons online and used voice chat just fine. However, signing into PSN was a crap shoot and I was lucky when I did. When I used a different gateway address I found via cmd prompt ipconfig on my laptop, the connection is much more stable and does the disconnect every 2 hours thing, but I can't play The Simpsons online, let alone any other game.

Also, I apologize for writing what appears to be a novel... lol. Thanks in advance for any and all help... and if not help, then simply pointing me in the right direction.

Message 1 of 7 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
Message 2 of 7 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
127 posts

Re: Can connect to PSN, but no online games work

May 28, 2012

Well that didn't help me... this is a separate, more specific, issue that's posted in the PSN section and dealing with just that, rather than getting an internet connection.

Buuuuuuut, thanks for linking me to a previous thread I posted on a separate issue I was looking to get help with... I think.

Message 3 of 7 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8191 posts

May 28, 2012

Hello there,

Sounds like you have a Port Forwarding issue, or an over-aggressive firewall on your new modem and/or router blocking ports or dropping connections.

First, I'd assign a manual Static IP to my PS3, and if that is a no-go I'd manually forward all required ports. I would go over the router/modem and see if I can lower the Firewall's security level a little bit. Still not working? Disable firewall completely on your Modem and Router for testing. And if that still does not work with no firewall, and ports manually forwarded to an assigned Static IP to the PS3, Call AT&T to see if they block any of PSN's ports. Some ISPs block Port 80 and Port 443, which are used by PS3s for connecting to PSN's servers and PS3-to-PS3 communication for games. (LBP2 is VERY sensitive on Port Forwards.)

Normally, blocking 80 & 443 shouldn't cause any issues, but your setup may be different from mine.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 7 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
127 posts

May 29, 2012

Hmm, I had this very thing suggested by a friend... the ports and possibly over-aggressive firewall, as you said, verbatum no less.

Thanks for the detailed info, its definitely appreciated and I'll give it a go. Since the modem is still at factory settings and all.

I thank you again.

Message 5 of 7 (1,608 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 25, 2016

Hello there. I have a friend who uses PS3 and is experiencing similar difficulties. However, what he's expericning is slightly different. He claims that he even used an Ethernet cord but still experienced the same problems. Therefore, it's most likely nothing to do with the wireless router. They recently bought a laptop. Before that, the internet worked just as this person's question described.

Occasional dissconnections. But now, my friend claims that even though he is connected to PSN, his connection times out on any Multiplayer game, for example Black Ops 3, or Minecraft, GTA V etc...

Message 6 of 7 (123 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
1402 posts

Jun 25, 2016
"This thread is now locked due to necrobumping. Please check the dates before responding and make sure threads are current and active."
Message 7 of 7 (110 Views)