Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Re: Can PS4 and Xbox One compete with SteamOS and the like?

Dec 14, 2013

nour321 wrote:
I dislike steam. Not because so many people use it, because so many people that use it brag about their beefy computer that secretly breaks down every 15 minutes.

--'

I strongly disagree. I know you were over exaggerating but my PC runs amazing. I really only need to the PS4 for exclusives, my GTX 780 ti sc cost as much as 2 PS4s by itself and the performance speaks for it.

Specs:
Bitfenix Prodigy
EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
i-7 4770k at 3.5Ghz(4.2 OC)
16gb Ram Trident Series
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
ASUS H87I-PLUS Mini-ITX Motherboard
250gb Samsung EVO SSD
1TB HDD
750W PSU
Message 11 of 27 (137 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29169 posts

Dec 14, 2013

Williams0907 wrote:

nour321 wrote:
I dislike steam. Not because so many people use it, because so many people that use it brag about their beefy computer that secretly breaks down every 15 minutes.

--'

I strongly disagree. I know you were over exaggerating but my PC runs amazing. I really only need to the PS4 for exclusives, my GTX 780 ti sc cost as much as 2 PS4s by itself and the performance speaks for it.

There's also no guaruntee that you can run every game.

Message 12 of 27 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2142 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2013

5 years from now your $2500 super computer you have built , might not run all games at max settings (or at all). But the PS4 and Xbox One will still be able to run the games just like they did the on launch date.

I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 13 of 27 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13127 posts

Dec 14, 2013
LMAO steambox is gonna be a massive flop.
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 14 of 27 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Dec 14, 2013

abhijtv wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/13/valve-steamos-beta/

Is this the beginning of the end of a console era as we knew it? Can PS4 and Xbox One truly compete with something like a SteamOS?

I don't think in the near future, consoles have much to worry about but how about by the time we are ready for the next generation and the PS5 and er... Xbox Two come around? (seriously, microsoft screwed up with the naming here)

On a different note, how many of you think we will never see a PS5 and a err. Xbox Two? (Crap, again with the name!)

Sure they will. If people do research cheapest steambox is almost 600 top of the line almost 900. Price will be a thing with the steam box. Also you got people like me. I built a nice high end PC here all i got to do is run HDMI to my tv and I got my own personal steam box already. 

Message 15 of 27 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Dec 14, 2013
I think the real question is whether or not SteamOS (and the Steam boxes) can ever compete with current home consoles. The sales of both the PS4 and Xbox One show that home consoles will always have their place and there is an established market for them.

Steam boxes are really Valve's attempt to capture some of the home console market, not to take away from PC gamers. SteamOS is just something you can run on a PC at this point or you can use it to create your own Steam Box. Steam OS, itself, won't do anything to consoles whatsoever. That's like saying that Windows 8.1 competes directly with the PS4. The OS itself doesn't but rather the devices that run the OS.

At this point, Steam boxes still have a ways to go before they hit the mass public. Even when they are released, they still have to prove their worth to gamers. Not every gaming product that is initially released becomes an instant hit. Not every gamer wants a streaming service either. Some like popping in a disc and being done. They don't like having to always be connected just to play a game.

Valve has also been silent when it comes to the titles that will be available to play when Steam boxes come out. Is every developer going to agree to their terms for streaming?

At this point, I don't think consoles have anything to worry about. Some PC master race people think that Steam boxes are the next evolution and will eventually take over the Earth. I really don't think that will ever happen as Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have well-established markets. They have their products and developers want to push their games onto them (mostly, developers have complained about coding for the Wii U). The PS4 and Xbox One make developing even easier now that they use standard x86-64 hardware.

Steam boxes may take some of the market but I don't think they will ever be the big hits that consoles currently are especially given their prices. From what I have read, Steam boxes are going to be priced between $1000-$2000. At those prices, they definitely aren't going to really take off especially since when going up against $400 (and eventually less) consoles.
Message 16 of 27 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8193 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2013

I'd like to try out SteamOS but apparently the darn thing requires UEFI on the motherboard to even boot.

That pretty much eliminates every PC I have access to. Yes, even the high-end video editing one.

How could they outnumber traditional consoles where every PC made before Windows 8 and many of the new motherboards couldn't even start it up?

Message 17 of 27 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4030 posts

Dec 14, 2013

SteamOS if not competing with consoles! Its after Microsoft Windows OS. The steambox will be just another computer sold by different people in different configurations. IE a computer in a case called steambox. Price will match any current PC with the same power. I am sure you will be able to run the SteamOS on any other PC also. The Playstation 4 is very close to a PC and I see the PS5 being even closer. More of a PC. What makes it great is every Playstation 5 PC/console will have the same hardware keeping it better to develop games for. Wont it be great whan you can add a keyboard mouse and printer to your playstation 5 and run other PC programs!!

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 18 of 27 (109 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Dec 14, 2013

im not quite sure who Steam is targeting with the Steambox.

console gamers wont, and already dont, care about it since consoles already have the same games and more than the Steambox has.

and PC gamers wont and dont care because they already have PCs and have Steam.

only people who will really care about the Steambox are people without consoles and gaming PCs, and mustard race idiots. and thats the same audience who cared about the Ouya, and just look how great that thing has done.

Message 19 of 27 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3069 posts

Dec 14, 2013

I think the Steam Box will appeal to those PC gamers who are looking for more of a living room experience in their gaming instead of sitting at a desk either in an office area at home or their bedroom. The Steam Box will give them the living room experience of a console but they'll still be able to upgrade the parts if they so choose.

Message 20 of 27 (94 Views)
0 Likes