Dec 14 2013
By: abhijtv Sackboy 379 posts

Can PS4 and Xbox One compete with SteamOS and the like?

26 replies 322 views Edited Dec 14, 2013

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/13/valve-steamos-beta/

Is this the beginning of the end of a console era as we knew it? Can PS4 and Xbox One truly compete with something like a SteamOS?

I don't think in the near future, consoles have much to worry about but how about by the time we are ready for the next generation and the PS5 and er... Xbox Two come around? (seriously, microsoft screwed up with the naming here)

On a different note, how many of you think we will never see a PS5 and a err. Xbox Two? (Crap, again with the name!)

Message 1 of 27 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Re: Can PS4 and Xbox One compete with SteamOS and the like?

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2013

abhijtv wrote:

Is this the beginning of the end of a console era as we knew it? Can PS4 and Xbox One truly compete with something like a SteamOS?

I don't think in the near future, consoles have much to worry about but how about by the time we are ready for the next generation and the PS5 and er... Xbox Two come around? (seriously, microsoft screwed up with the naming here)

On a different note, how many of you think we will never see a PS5 and a err. Xbox Two? (Crap, again with the name!)

Honestly yes, I think it can and will compete. Not everyone likes computer games. I literally just built a new gaming computer that cost  2500 on top of the PS4 I just bought (Wife didn't like how much I spent in such a little time) But I am glad that I have the best of both worlds. I really don't think they are competeing since PS4 has already sold millions. 

If anything the Steam Box is fighting for a place beside these consoles.

Specs:
Bitfenix Prodigy
EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
i-7 4770k at 3.5Ghz(4.2 OC)
16gb Ram Trident Series
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
ASUS H87I-PLUS Mini-ITX Motherboard
250gb Samsung EVO SSD
1TB HDD
750W PSU
Message 2 of 27 (315 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28990 posts

Dec 14, 2013

Yes, because that's what everyone wants. The ability to only buy games off of Steam, squash his competition, and thereby enriching Gabe Newell's monopoly, and making his **bleep** even fatter! He learned that little lesson from when he worked at Microsoft. "Give" people a product, with no other choice but for them to use it.

Message 3 of 27 (312 Views)
Survivor
2567 posts

Dec 14, 2013
I dislike steam. Not because so many people use it, because so many people that use it brag about their beefy computer that secretly breaks down every 15 minutes.

--'
Message 4 of 27 (306 Views)
MVP Support
13618 posts

Dec 14, 2013
Steam machine = over glorified PC
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 27 (292 Views)
Last Guardian
11834 posts

Dec 14, 2013
Steam is is just a glorified PC platform.. Nothing wrong with it but it at heart is still a PC..

>

Message 6 of 27 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
379 posts

Dec 14, 2013

Williams0907 wrote:

abhijtv wrote:

Honestly yes, I think it can and will compete. Not everyone likes computer games. I literally just built a new gaming computer that cost  2500 on top of the PS4 I just bought (Wife didn't like how much I spent in such a little time) But I am glad that I have the best of both worlds. I really don't think they are competeing since PS4 has already sold millions. 

If anything the Steam Box is fighting for a place beside these consoles.

True. The price point and value for money a console provides is unmatched by PCs. Sure PC elitist would like us to believe otherwise, but my $800 PC that I bought 2.5 years ago could hardly play any games my PS3 could at that point in time and the PS3 cost a fraction of that... In this case, people who simply want to game will always choose consoles as they are simple plug-and-play and forget type of machines which don't need any significant effort, while building and maintaining a gaming rig needs serious technical know-how... That a vast majority of gamers don't have.

Message 7 of 27 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2142 posts

Dec 14, 2013
I think Sony and Microsoft will be just fine, if not better off than steam. I enjoy knowing the game I put it dont have to meet the requirements to play. Not to mention harder to piracy a game.
I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 8 of 27 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2013

The momentum of the current leaders in the home console marketed will not be derailed by a mini gaming PC.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Message 9 of 27 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
465 posts

Dec 14, 2013
Dk dc

Im buying parts for my pc right now. So i can do both Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 27 (225 Views)